tristanptt is on a distinguished road. (+10)

5 Day Split - Failure?

I have recently started switiching from a Full Body Workout to a 5 Day Split. I read that once you can lift at least half of your own body weight at the squat you can leave the Full Body Workout and do a Split. I also have a lot of free time and love working out so I thought why not go more often.

But, I notice that with a lot of the exercises I do (did concentration curls, EZ bar curls and bent over row yesterday) I usually cant to the last rep or the last two reps of the last set. It's with the same weight I could (not easily but surely) handle during my full body w/o. So, is this normal? Do I need to go down with the weights? Is what I'm doing pointless rn?

By the way, the program I'm doing is this one from Olympic Muscle.

rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You definitely need to change the people that you're reading from. Stopping a full body/novice routine at a 0.5xBW squat is quite wasteful. Heck, most people will *start* a novice routine when they're already squatting 0.5xBW. I'd say 1.25-1.5xBW is a more appropriate target, but even that is being rather simplistic. Gotta look at other factors such as how much progress you've made, the rate of progress, if you're still making progress, your lifts relative to bodyweight etc etc. Even beyond that I would suggest going up to a 4 day U/L, not a 5 day split.

I'm unsure of the routine you're running, but sounds like you're probably overdosing on volume which is what's preventing you from completing your sets (assuming you kept everything else constant outside of swapping up routines).
    Some lifting stuff (IG) - @rsid_97

My Growth Stimulus Training journal - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175699161

tristanptt is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well, I can do a 1xBW squat haha. The same with deadlifts. Bench is a lot lower tho.
    The thing is, if I do a full body workout, I have to take one day break in between each workout which sucks. I was making progress with the full body w/o but it got a lot harder but mostly I changed the routine because I wanted to workout more often. Should I stop the 5 day split? Any suggestions?

rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by tristanptt View Post
    Well, I can do a 1xBW squat haha. The same with deadlifts. Bench is a lot lower tho.
    The thing is, if I do a full body workout, I have to take one day break in between each workout which sucks. I was making progress with the full body w/o but it got a lot harder but mostly I changed the routine because I wanted to workout more often. Should I stop the 5 day split? Any suggestions?
    Of course things get harder over time. Full body workouts have a rest day between workouts for a reason. More is not always better. If you really want to be in the gym 5 days a week then you could run a 3x per week full body and then do some cardio with abs on the 2 other days.

If you're adamant about running a 5 day routine and you're acknowledging that the volume would be more than what is necessary, then I'd recommend running a properly programmed one which has 2x weekly frequency (Fierce ULPPL comes to mind). I understand that doing what motivates you is important, but at the same time you also need to understand when you're making a sub-optimal move in terms of progression. So that's your call, the options are laid out infront of you.

On a side note, its natural for your bench to be lower than your squat and deadlift. But its not quite normal for your squats to be the same as your deadlifts, might want to get your depth checked on your squats there.
    Some lifting stuff (IG) - @rsid_97

My Growth Stimulus Training journal - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175699161

n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by tristanptt View Post
    I have recently started switiching from a Full Body Workout to a 5 Day Split. I read that once you can lift at least half of your own body weight at the squat you can leave the Full Body Workout and do a Split. I also have a lot of free time and love working out so I thought why not go more often.

But, I notice that with a lot of the exercises I do (did concentration curls, EZ bar curls and bent over row yesterday) I usually cant to the last rep or the last two reps of the last set. It's with the same weight I could (not easily but surely) handle during my full body w/o. So, is this normal? Do I need to go down with the weights? Is what I'm doing pointless rn?

By the way, the program I'm doing is this one from Olympic Muscle.
    With how weak you are, anything other than a novice 3 day per week or upper/lower novice program would be quite a disservice and waste a lot of your time. It is ultimately up to you. If you want to spend more time in the gym to progress at 1/3 the rate, I guess that is up to you!
    Ignore List

GregStren90
    health4life24
    LukeEverhart
    jeremybra