905letters is on a distinguished road. (+10) 905letters is on a distinguished road. (+10) 905letters is on a distinguished road. (+10) 905letters is on a distinguished road. (+10) 905letters is on a distinguished road. (+10) 905letters is on a distinguished road. (+10) 905letters is on a distinguished road. (+10) 905letters is on a distinguished road. (+10) 905letters is on a distinguished road. (+10) 905letters is on a distinguished road. (+10) 905letters is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Arrow Benchpress: Good form vs More weight?

I noticed that when I forget about doing perfect form on the bench, and simply think push the weight up, I incorporate a lot more front delt and I am a lot stronger.
    However when I think about perfect form and using only pecs, arch my back, retract my scapula ect... then I am a lot weaker.

Which is best to do? I feel like lifting more weight is a better despite not isolating the chest, because I can get stronger fast everywhere and do progressive overload.

PurmaBulker1984 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PurmaBulker1984 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PurmaBulker1984 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PurmaBulker1984 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PurmaBulker1984 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PurmaBulker1984 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PurmaBulker1984 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PurmaBulker1984 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PurmaBulker1984 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PurmaBulker1984 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PurmaBulker1984 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by 905letters View Post
    I noticed that when I forget about doing perfect form on the bench, and simply think push the weight up, I incorporate a lot more front delt and I am a lot stronger.
    However when I think about perfect form and using only pecs, arch my back, retract my scapula ect... then I am a lot weaker.

Which is best to do? I feel like lifting more weight is a better despite not isolating the chest, because I can get stronger fast everywhere and do progressive overload.
    Focus on using the arch and more pec. You just have more practice with bad form, once you get your mind and muscles used to doing it the right way you will become much stronger then you ever were with bad form, young padawan.
    160 lbs and jacked is about as impressive as D cups on a 300lb woman

BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    All I think about is lowering it down to just touch the chest every time, and raising the bar up smoothly and my bench is not bad, 2.5x BW on a perfect day, which if people are honest it's pretty rare. Staying relaxed is a good secret too, so the antagonist muscles don't put up as much resistance, that's an old martial arts trick. If I struggle on a rep sometimes I'll call on my lats harder to help me out, a bit like being my own spotter, you probably don't have the muscle awareness yet, but it's something to be aware of.

So in my opinion I think you shouldn't complicate things.

I especially don't understand the logic of using only your pecs by the way, sounds like a dumb way of trying to build the chest rather than do a good press.

jademonkey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jademonkey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jademonkey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jademonkey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jademonkey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jademonkey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jademonkey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jademonkey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jademonkey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jademonkey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jademonkey has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    My bench isn't as good as these guys, but I say keep focus on good form and also try and push more weight. I feel it's like this for every exercise. If you get too strict on perfect form you may be afraid to add weight, but if you get too sloppy with adding weight, you don't progress well and start getting hurt.

For me with bench, I arch and retract scapula pretty good, but tend to shrug a bit to get more weight. I focus on getting good form, i.e. retract scapula DOWN, during set up, but let it slip a bit and shrug to finish a hard set. Lets me push harder but at the same time I get the training of better form.
    August.....................300 / --- / ---................168 lbs
    July 1, 2019.................................................164 lbs
    Late April 2019.........285 / 275 / 440.............178 lbs
    Early March 2019......275 / 245 / 405.............173 lbs
    Oct, 2018..............175x6 / 145x6 / 275x5......163 lbs

BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BenMcLeodNZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by jademonkey View Post
    My bench isn't as good as these guys, but I say keep focus on good form and also try and push more weight. I feel it's like this for every exercise. If you get too strict on perfect form you may be afraid to add weight, but if you get too sloppy with adding weight, you don't progress well and start getting hurt.

For me with bench, I arch and retract scapula pretty good, but tend to shrug a bit to get more weight. I focus on getting good form, i.e. retract scapula DOWN, during set up, but let it slip a bit and shrug to finish a hard set. Lets me push harder but at the same time I get the training of better form.
    Bench doesn't necessarily have to be good to know what you're doing though. I still find it nuts how people thing about their scaps during the bench, but different strokes for different folks huh.

PurmaBulker1984 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PurmaBulker1984 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PurmaBulker1984 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PurmaBulker1984 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PurmaBulker1984 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PurmaBulker1984 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PurmaBulker1984 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PurmaBulker1984 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PurmaBulker1984 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PurmaBulker1984 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PurmaBulker1984 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by BenMcLeodNZ View Post

I especially don't understand the logic of using only your pecs by the way, sounds like a dumb way of trying to build the chest rather than do a good press.
    I don't think you should use only your pecs (which is impossible), but you should put your pecs in position to be the main mover. Using the arch helps turn the flat bench into a quasi decline, reduces the rom and protects the shoulders.

Btw 2.5 bw bench is insanely rare, despite what the internet says. Awesome job.
    160 lbs and jacked is about as impressive as D cups on a 300lb woman

jademonkey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jademonkey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jademonkey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jademonkey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jademonkey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jademonkey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jademonkey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jademonkey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jademonkey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jademonkey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jademonkey has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by BenMcLeodNZ View Post
    Bench doesn't necessarily have to be good to know what you're doing though. I still find it nuts how people thing about their scaps during the bench, but different strokes for different folks huh.
    I think about it during setup - I kinda shimmy them back one at a time and lock them there with the weight. Then I really only notice when it gets really hard and I start to shrug
    August.....................300 / --- / ---................168 lbs
    July 1, 2019.................................................164 lbs
    Late April 2019.........285 / 275 / 440.............178 lbs
    Early March 2019......275 / 245 / 405.............173 lbs
    Oct, 2018..............175x6 / 145x6 / 275x5......163 lbs

Originally Posted by PurmaBulker1984 View Post
    I don't think you should use only your pecs (which is impossible), but you should put your pecs in position to be the main mover. Using the arch helps turn the flat bench into a quasi decline, reduces the rom and protects the shoulders.

Btw 2.5 bw bench is insanely rare, despite what the internet says. Awesome job.
    Yeah I see what you mean now. This thread got me excited so I tried last night and failed quite badly to put it up haha, was after a big lat session so kind-of expected it.