Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100)

Timing your protein intake after a workout

One of the things that the old pros like Arnold, Zane, Haney, etc, used to repeat was that your body could metabolize around 25-30 grams of protein every 2-3 hours. So, after a workout, when your body is wanting protein for repair, eating as close to 30 grams of protein every 3 hours is the goal. If you intake less than 30 grams, or wait longer than 3 hours to eat, you're not being as efficient as you *could* be for building muscle. This was late 70s/early 80s advice. Does this still hold true, or have we learned otherwise since then?
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger in Pumping Iron

Get muscles in the gym. Get lean in the kitchen.

ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Overall protein intake is the most important factor by a significant margin. Current evidence based recommendations are 0.7g - 1g per pound of body weight. Now, IF you are consistent with overall protein intake and want to incorporate more recommendations that *may* help stimulate a little more muscle protein synthesis, try and stagger your protein intake in windows of 3 to 4 hours and hit at least 35-40g from whole protein sources (eggs, dairy, meat) in each one of those doses. This is to help reach the leucine threshold for triggering mTOR. If you can't time your intake that way, I wouldn't sweat it. Just get your protein in.

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    AFAIK... It's not "wrong" but the effects are so marginal as to be of very low significance for mere mortals like myself. People pushing the edge of their genetic potential... maybe it has some significance for them.

Personally I've got more important things to worry about, trying to become effortlessly good at the basics. What was that Jim Wendler quote about some people foolishly trying to "major in the minors"?

When fixing a boat, make good the biggest holes first.
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.
    Back on the diet :(

MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrCarrot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    AFAIK... It's not "wrong" but the effects are so marginal as to be of very low significance for mere mortals like myself. People pushing the edge of their genetic potential... maybe it has some significance for them.

Personally I've got more important things to worry about, trying to become effortlessly good at the basics. What was that Jim Wendler quote about some people foolishly trying to "major in the minors"?

When fixing a boat, make good the biggest holes first.
    I agree with this. I see so many people worrying about getting their protein after X number of minutes of working out, will this cheese burger at the weekend affect my gains, what will happen if I forget to take my creatine today, etc, etc. I used to be like that myself but nowdays I try and not sweat it so much because I think in the grand scheme of things it's all pretty insignificant. If you're eating right 80% of the time and working out 3-4 days a week you're already ahead of 99% of the population, and those extra little details probably won't make much if any difference.

tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Great advice already given and I wanted to add that the old theory of only being able to absorb 30g of protein at once has been said not to be true. I often have 40 - 50 grams of protein per meal in order to meet my goal for the whole day.
    Bodybuilding is much more than an hour in the gym a few days a week---it's a lifestyle that changes all your perceptions about how to live, eat, and rest. It feeds the mind as much (and sometimes more so) than the body.
    ~Originally posted by ironwill2008

waknickm will become famous soon enough. (+50) waknickm will become famous soon enough. (+50) waknickm will become famous soon enough. (+50) waknickm will become famous soon enough. (+50) waknickm will become famous soon enough. (+50) waknickm will become famous soon enough. (+50) waknickm will become famous soon enough. (+50) waknickm will become famous soon enough. (+50) waknickm will become famous soon enough. (+50) waknickm will become famous soon enough. (+50) waknickm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I wouldn't lose sleep over it (may be worse for your gains than the benefits of timing)

I could do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Tricon7 View Post
    One of the things that the old pros like Arnold, Zane, Haney, etc, used to repeat was that your body could metabolize around 25-30 grams of protein every 2-3 hours. So, after a workout, when your body is wanting protein for repair, eating as close to 30 grams of protein every 3 hours is the goal. If you intake less than 30 grams, or wait longer than 3 hours to eat, you're not being as efficient as you *could* be for building muscle. This was late 70s/early 80s advice. Does this still hold true, or have we learned otherwise since then?
    What really matters is your total intake for the day, by the end of the day, each day. Time it as is convenient for you.

Probably you have a lot more to gain by improving your routine than counting the hours between eating precise amounts of protein at that hour
    Controlled Labs Rep
    nathan @ controlledlabs.com

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Protein uptake is highest 4 hours post exercise. Synthesis is highest for up to 24 hours post exercise. Protein takes 2-4 hours to digest and another 30 minutes to percolate. Ergo, it makes the most sense to take your protein before you workout, and sugar after you workout because sugar replenishes glycogen as well as raises insulin which is essential to protein uptake.

You're welcome.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555