Thread: Deadlifts

Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100) Tricon7 is not very well liked. (-100)

Deadlifts

Due to knee issues, about the only leg exercise I can do without knee twinges is leg extensions, and those with care. So I thought I would try some deadlifts. I figured that although they weren't solely a leg exercise, they would be enough of one to work them. I did them yesterday for the first time in years (really light, like 25 lbs. on each side), and today I'm sore on the back and insides of my thighs. So I guess that's what it's working, along with my forearms and my core. I figure that I could build some decent legs with just leg extensions and deadlifts if my body won't let me do anything else.
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger in Pumping Iron

Get muscles in the gym. Get lean in the kitchen.

Jaered is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Tricon7 View Post
    Due to knee issues, about the only leg exercise I can do without knee twinges is leg extensions, and those with care. So I thought I would try some deadlifts. I figured that although they weren't solely a leg exercise, they would be enough of one to work them. I did them yesterday for the first time in years (really light, like 25 lbs. on each side), and today I'm sore on the back and insides of my thighs. So I guess that's what it's working, along with my forearms and my core. I figure that I could build some decent legs with just leg extensions and deadlifts if my body won't let me do anything else.
    I'm certainly no expert, neewb in fact. So take this as only as a train of thought not advise.

I would have thought leg extensions (on a machine) would be terrible for knees, especially if decided to do heavy weights - it's quite a shearing movement. Not sure how long you have been doing those only by the sounds, do you think there is currently a imbalance between quads and hams? That could make knee issues more pronounced.

Not sure what sort of deads your doing. In what I would call a conventional stance I find I still get relitivly hard work on my legs but more so in the posterior. If can do deadlifts in different in different ways eg. Stiff leg (hams) and sumo (quads) I imagine you can target all the areas you want without machines.

Not sure if you have tried hack squats with a barbell but they could be good for your quads if you can do them....