johnrinson is on a distinguished road. (+10)

3 years progress from mega skinny, but what now?

I started lifting / bulking 3-years ago from a really skinny 166lbs (75kg) at 6ft 2. I made good progress to reach 210lbs (95kg) and was satisfied I'd at least changed myself from a scrawny weakling in to having at least a bit of mass and strength (for example 125kg 1rm bench). See before and after pics below.

However the last year I've drifted along on a bit of a plateau, going nowhere. I stopped actively bulking as fat was starting to build around stomach and chin, but never properly 'cut' as was too afraid of going backwards and getting skinny / weak again. Consequently I've hovered in a middle ground, gaining and losing nothing for the past year.

I need to get back in to a focused strategy with a goal now, but don't know what.

Based on photos below should I go on a proper cut? Or forget about the fat / bloat around the mid-section and chin and put another year's worth of hard bulking in?

'After' photos below were taken in pretty favourable light - generally I don't feel like I have the phsyique of someone who lifts, although am clearly not as skinny as I was at the start.

Any advice / opinions very welcome!
    Attached Images

Registered User bschermerhorn92's Avatar
    bschermerhorn92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bschermerhorn92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bschermerhorn92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bschermerhorn92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bschermerhorn92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bschermerhorn92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bschermerhorn92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bschermerhorn92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bschermerhorn92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bschermerhorn92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bschermerhorn92 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    First off, congrats on your progress, great work!

A common misconception is that cutting is going to take years of hard work off and you’ll get weak, etc. You can make tweaks to your diet with a small caloric deficit and still hit the weights. Ensure you’re getting adequate rest by having (trying your best) to have a solid night sleep every night. You can lose some of the fat you want without really taking a huge hit with your strength in the gym. It takes time but the payoff is good.

I would say sit down and make a good achievable goal and create a roadmap to get there. Forget about your actual weight as it’s just an arbitrary number, lose a bit of fat and then build some more muscle and look the way you want to.

No matter what you decide to do, just do something! You’ve made great progress so far, don’t give up! You’re past the beginner gains phase so things are certainly slower now but that doesn’t mean the gains are all gone lol. Try and focus on just enjoying your time and the gym and focus on the training, the payoffs will come! I wish you the best.

TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Great progress! Like ^^^^ said, you won't lose much progress with a small deficit. That being said, it will also stop you from gaining as much mass as well. It's not really up to us whether or not you want to cut or bulk, that's on you. What are your goals for the next year or so? Do you want to get ripped for a show or continue to grow? The decision is yours, not ours.