Reply
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Registered User SolidLager's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2019
    Age: 49
    Posts: 456
    Rep Power: 1185
    SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000)
    SolidLager is offline

    Ultimate minimalist set

    Any you guys rolling a minimal set? Im thinking squat stands, pull up bar, adjustable dbs, platform, weight tree, platform, and barbell. Ive got an x2 from titan rn but feel real crammed doing everything in such a small ass spot. Ive been doin work in an 8x10 space for a bit but im moving now. Watching Klokov and those guys makes me want to throw my **** in the backyard for an open less claustrophobic feel. Looking for some suggestions on equipment and general inspiration. Rolling with a 6ft barbell, and ironmaster atm.
    Get some bitch
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User Deep-Voiced-One's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Age: 32
    Posts: 1,670
    Rep Power: 3896
    Deep-Voiced-One is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deep-Voiced-One is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deep-Voiced-One is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deep-Voiced-One is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deep-Voiced-One is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deep-Voiced-One is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deep-Voiced-One is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deep-Voiced-One is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deep-Voiced-One is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deep-Voiced-One is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deep-Voiced-One is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Deep-Voiced-One is offline
    Originally Posted by SolidLager View Post
    Any you guys rolling a minimal set? Im thinking squat stands, pull up bar, adjustable dbs, platform, weight tree, platform, and barbell. Ive got an x2 from titan rn but feel real crammed doing everything in such a small ass spot. Ive been doin work in an 8x10 space for a bit but im moving now. Watching Klokov and those guys makes me want to throw my **** in the backyard for an open less claustrophobic feel. Looking for some suggestions on equipment and general inspiration. Rolling with a 6ft barbell, and ironmaster atm.
    Did someone say minimal space???...

    https://i.imgur.com/wUj8GO7.jpg

    Been making it work for years in a cramped garage with other items in there, I even roll the lawn mower out of there when I lift and when I want to shuffle out the other bar(s) out of the rack area, I put them in the corner and lean 'em against the wall, I got some different various pullup bars up top along with a front porch attachment for one of them and a dip attachment to use on the safeties tucked away in the corner, my dip belt's in there too.

    Actually some of my other workout pieces are in two separate rooms in the house (some in an attic room and some in the cellar), the rack would've been inside in the cellar, but I have short heighted ceilings in there.

    In the attic I have my IM dumbbells with the cabinet, an adjustable flat/incline bench, lat machine with low row and some plates on a tree, various cable attachments on a tree, fat grip DB handles, a 2" thick triceps bar and 2.5" curl bar up there and in another part of the attic I just recently added a Rogue Echo Bike.

    In the basement I added a seated plate loaded leverage row and 45 degree hyperextension bench and plates on a plate tree down there (for the seated row).

    My main point though is that before all the additional pieces I added later on in the other rooms, I have all my bases covered just in the garage alone with the minimal space I have to get it done.
    Last edited by Deep-Voiced-One; 08-12-2019 at 06:26 PM.
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User dagdafitness's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2018
    Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Age: 29
    Posts: 277
    Rep Power: 0
    dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500)
    dagdafitness is offline
    Originally Posted by Deep-Voiced-One View Post
    DVO...... That picture makes me uncomfortable.

    Im tempted to sell off some of my gear but I dont think Ill ever go minimal. I want to buy a seated low row or lat/row combo next lol and a belt squat and a new power rack and some monos and a pair of fringe dumbbell handles.. The list goes on

    To me, minimal is chinup bar and a bench with adjustable dumbbells OR a barbell and plates. In a 10x8 space its entirely doable and if you have that space indoors, stick with it. No point in rusting your gear. Get a mirror and paint the place, youd be surprised how much that can help.
    -602931 to -438409 rep. / working almost minimally to make that number respectable ;)
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User Deep-Voiced-One's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Age: 32
    Posts: 1,670
    Rep Power: 3896
    Deep-Voiced-One is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deep-Voiced-One is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deep-Voiced-One is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deep-Voiced-One is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deep-Voiced-One is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deep-Voiced-One is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deep-Voiced-One is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deep-Voiced-One is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deep-Voiced-One is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deep-Voiced-One is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deep-Voiced-One is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Deep-Voiced-One is offline
    Originally Posted by dagdafitness View Post
    DVO...... That picture makes me uncomfortable.

    Im tempted to sell off some of my gear but I dont think Ill ever go minimal. I want to buy a seated low row or lat/row combo next lol and a belt squat and a new power rack and some monos and a pair of fringe dumbbell handles.. The list goes on

    To me, minimal is chinup bar and a bench with adjustable dumbbells OR a barbell and plates. In a 10x8 space its entirely doable and if you have that space indoors, stick with it. No point in rusting your gear. Get a mirror and paint the place, youd be surprised how much that can help.
    That's a good point, my setup outside is rather the most it could be out of a minimal space and my old beginning day pieces from before were more along the lines of the above items that you mentioned.

    I often thought about having the rack inside by cutting it down a bit, but my basement ceiling height is about only 6'8" between the joists.

    I would have no way of doing pullups, except by a cheap door frame like my old one in the attic when I first started (I'd be worried about breaking it right off the frame these days lol).

    I also would have to nix OHPs which I could technically do with smaller plates, seated, the Z-press variation, or in another room somewhere, but downgrading would take away a lot of versatility for me and perhaps ruin the purpose in other ways of compromising, so I decided to choose the weather elements and risk of some rust.

    Which new rack did you have in mind for your space?
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User SolidLager's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2019
    Age: 49
    Posts: 456
    Rep Power: 1185
    SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000)
    SolidLager is offline
    Originally Posted by Deep-Voiced-One View Post
    Did someone say minimal space???...

    https://i.imgur.com/wUj8GO7.jpg

    Been making it work for years in a cramped garage with other items in there, I even roll the lawn mower out of there when I lift and when I want to shuffle out the other bar(s) out of the rack area, I put them in the corner and lean 'em against the wall, I got some different various pullup bars up top along with a front porch attachment for one of them and a dip attachment to use on the safeties tucked away in the corner, my dip belt's in there too.

    Actually some of my other workout pieces are in two separate rooms in the house (some in an attic room and some in the cellar), the rack would've been inside in the cellar, but I have short heighted ceilings in there.

    In the attic I have my IM dumbbells with the cabinet, an adjustable flat/incline bench, lat machine with low row and some plates on a tree, various cable attachments on a tree, fat grip DB handles, a 2" thick triceps bar and 2.5" curl bar up there and in another part of the attic I just recently added a Rogue Echo Bike.

    In the basement I added a seated plate loaded leverage row and 45 degree hyperextension bench and plates on a plate tree down there (for the seated row).

    My main point though is that before all the additional pieces I added later on in the other rooms, I have all my bases covered just in the garage alone with the minimal space I have to get it done.
    more power to you makin it work. Working out in such close quarters leaves me gassed and unable to recover comfortably between sets
    Get some bitch
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User SolidLager's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2019
    Age: 49
    Posts: 456
    Rep Power: 1185
    SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000)
    SolidLager is offline
    this is what i have rn and its dope but when i try to pace around between sets or shadow box im just stepping on **** and ducking my head the whole time
    Attached Images
    Get some bitch
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User dagdafitness's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2018
    Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Age: 29
    Posts: 277
    Rep Power: 0
    dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500)
    dagdafitness is offline
    Originally Posted by Deep-Voiced-One View Post
    I often thought about having the rack inside by cutting it down a bit, but my basement ceiling height is about only 6'8" between the joists...... so I decided to choose the weather elements and risk of some rust.

    Which new rack did you have in mind for your space?
    I was actually referring to OP. He said he contemplates throwing his gear outside to feel less claustrophobic when after seeing his picture, clearly has a smaller but decent space.

    DVO good on you for not letting space restraints stop you from making it work - also takes dedication to workout in the cold days. If I threw my gear in the garage, the only thing Id gain over the winter is fat

    Im not sure what rack Im going to get but Im leaning towards a short half rack with plate storage. I know its not recommended to switch from a full to spotter arms but Ill probably be moving my gear into a smaller room in the basement shortly; when the kid starts moving and needs more play space.

    OP, you said youre gassed and unable to recover - doesnt sound like a space issue. Stop shadow boxing and using energy between sets and make your rest periods longer. Also I find a good fan works wonders
    -602931 to -438409 rep. / working almost minimally to make that number respectable ;)
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User SolidLager's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2019
    Age: 49
    Posts: 456
    Rep Power: 1185
    SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000) SolidLager is just really nice. (+1000)
    SolidLager is offline
    Originally Posted by dagdafitness View Post
    I was actually referring to OP. He said he contemplates throwing his gear outside to feel less claustrophobic when after seeing his picture, clearly has a smaller but decent space.

    DVO good on you for not letting space restraints stop you from making it work - also takes dedication to workout in the cold days. If I threw my gear in the garage, the only thing Id gain over the winter is fat

    Im not sure what rack Im going to get but Im leaning towards a short half rack with plate storage. I know its not recommended to switch from a full to spotter arms but Ill probably be moving my gear into a smaller room in the basement shortly; when the kid starts moving and needs more play space.

    OP, you said youre gassed and unable to recover - doesnt sound like a space issue. Stop shadow boxing and using energy between sets and make your rest periods longer. Also I find a good fan works wonders
    haha yeah I’m a bit of a spaz. Just a heads up I’d highly recommend looking into an X2 from Titan which I have. It’s all welded and feels like a beast. I wanted to get a half rack to with plate storage initially but they were all way bigger than the X2 footprint due to the support legs. My rack is only 28 X 46 if I remember right
    Get some bitch
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User dagdafitness's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2018
    Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Age: 29
    Posts: 277
    Rep Power: 0
    dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500) dagdafitness is not very helpful. (-500)
    dagdafitness is offline
    Thats exactly what I have but I have the tall version. Old house, low basement. Plus the 24" depth feels too shallow for me
    -602931 to -438409 rep. / working almost minimally to make that number respectable ;)
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Registered User Deep-Voiced-One's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Age: 32
    Posts: 1,670
    Rep Power: 3896
    Deep-Voiced-One is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deep-Voiced-One is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deep-Voiced-One is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deep-Voiced-One is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deep-Voiced-One is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deep-Voiced-One is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deep-Voiced-One is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deep-Voiced-One is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deep-Voiced-One is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deep-Voiced-One is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deep-Voiced-One is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Deep-Voiced-One is offline
    Originally Posted by SolidLager View Post
    this is what i have rn and its dope but when i try to pace around between sets or shadow box im just stepping on **** and ducking my head the whole time
    I could see where you would have to be mindful with the tight space, but nice use of the space you have available and a good "No Excuses" attitude.

    Aside from a decent quality barbell and plenty of plates (a 300 lb set of plates is a good starting point) for your needs and a good adjustable bench (Flat/Incline will cover most needs) as well as the adjustable DB set and pullup bar you mentioned, I would suggest these pieces just for some extra variety and perhaps carry over to your goals...

    A triceps bar since you can do quite a few combination triceps and biceps exercises to superset with it, any cheap one will do, but I highly recommend Black Widow Training Gear's 2" Thick Grip Hammer Curl/Triceps Bar. It's around 4' wide and barely takes up any space during the movements (I didn't have to worry about banging into things due to its compact size), also you're able to get full extension on the movements with that bar along with its versatility and can even use it for another variation of rows, overhead presses and pushups on it when loaded with plates for a deeper stretch.

    If noise isn't an issue, rig up two handles (could be something lying around, or buy a pair of cheap cable handles) to a carabiner attached to some chains all of which aside from the handles can be found at the hardware store (chains are underrated and can be very useful due to trying to maintain stability when unstable with them...they're great for chain presses overhead, chain chest presses and flys and are not bad for chain curls and could even use them pressed overhead for lunges).

    Also Fat Gripz might not be a bad idea to add to the arsenal too here and there for use for dumbbells, pullup bar and the barbell from time to time to add more grip strength in.

    This is probably an all too common one, but if you have no room for a dip attachment, or stand alone dip stand, I use to do dips off my old bench with my feet elevated on a chair across from it before I got my dip attachment that laid across the flipdown safeties inside the rack to dip off of.

    Also pushups and elevated/decline pushups with feet on the bench leading with the chest angled towards the floor are awesome to throw in at the end of the workout, or later on at some point.
    Last edited by Deep-Voiced-One; 08-14-2019 at 09:13 AM.
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts