Reply
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Registered User JayGrxxn's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2019
    Age: 49
    Posts: 40
    Rep Power: 0
    JayGrxxn is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    JayGrxxn is offline

    Lean Bulking but Losing Weight?

    I am currently 6ft 166lbs and very lean. I am aiming to do a lean bulk and hit 200lbs by next year. So far this has been my first week lean bulking, and all I did was add 200 calories worth of ground Turkey into my diet daily. Nothing else changed, activity also stayed the same. I noticed after the week i added calories, i lost 1lb since last week.

    Is it too soon to make adjustments? I figured i would wait this week and see if I'm still losing weight next week, then increase by 100-200 more calories. Any input would be appreciated.
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Verified Aesthetic rhadam's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2009
    Posts: 36,980
    Rep Power: 285860
    rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    rhadam is offline
    34lbs added to your frame wouldn't be a lean bulk.

    You likely didn't add enough calories to influence weight. Remember, roughly 1 pound of weight is the equivalent of 3,500 calories.
    USAF
    LEO
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User JayGrxxn's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2019
    Age: 49
    Posts: 40
    Rep Power: 0
    JayGrxxn is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    JayGrxxn is offline
    Originally Posted by rhadam View Post
    34lbs added to your frame wouldn't be a lean bulk.

    You likely didn't add enough calories to influence weight. Remember, roughly 1 pound of weight is the equivalent of 3,500 calories.
    Weird that you say that. First off, lean bulking is gaining .5lb per week. I will be doing that until 200lbs. That IS a lean bulk. Secondly, my maintenance was 15,010 per week. I added 200 calories a day to that meaning I'm taking in 16,410 per week which is around ~.3-.5lb gain per week. I'm guessing this is all anecdotal, but is losing weight normal after increasing calories when I was eating maintenance for a month?

    Either way it seems too soon to make a decision. I would have to wait until next week to re evaluate my calorie intake. It could be possible that my NEAT increased.
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Verified Aesthetic rhadam's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2009
    Posts: 36,980
    Rep Power: 285860
    rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    rhadam is offline
    32lbs in less than 4 months is not a lean bulk. Your math is off anyways. Not to mention i kinda know what i'm talking about. First, "lean" is subjective. For someone who's underweight, 1lb a week gain can be lean. For an advanced lifter, you'd need less.. somewhere around 2lbs a month to be lean. Second, adding 200 calories a day and thinking you'll notice weight change after 1 week is unlikely. Your TDEE calculations have to be spot on to make a relatively small calorie change accurate. You are correct that 1 week is too short a time to make a correction. I would run your current plan another week then see what happens. I will repeat that such a small calorie change is asking for wheel spinning. Cellular hydration fluctuations can throw off your weight and make tracking this plan a nightmare. YOU might think you're being consistent but in actuality you are off somewhere. I'd use your strength gains and body comp (mirror) progess as a better indicator.
    USAF
    LEO
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User JayGrxxn's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2019
    Age: 49
    Posts: 40
    Rep Power: 0
    JayGrxxn is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    JayGrxxn is offline
    Originally Posted by rhadam View Post
    32lbs in less than 4 months is not a lean bulk. Your math is off anyways. Not to mention i kinda know what i'm talking about. First, "lean" is subjective. For someone who's underweight, 1lb a week gain can be lean. For an advanced lifter, you'd need less.. somewhere around 2lbs a month to be lean. Second, adding 200 calories a day and thinking you'll notice weight change after 1 week is unlikely. Your TDEE calculations have to be spot on to make a relatively small calorie change accurate. You are correct that 1 week is too short a time to make a correction. I would run your current plan another week then see what happens. I will repeat that such a small calorie change is asking for wheel spinning. Cellular hydration fluctuations can throw off your weight and make tracking this plan a nightmare. YOU might think you're being consistent but in actuality you are off somewhere. I'd use your strength gains and body comp (mirror) progess as a better indicator.
    Thank you for the input. I might add that I meant by next year December I plan to be 200 pounds. If I'm not gaining that much strength and stalling, is that a definite point to increase calories?

    From what I've read. It's best to eat around maintenance until your strength stalls, only then you should increase cals. I'm just so much smaller that I want this weight gain.

    This is my first time bulking the right way, so it might take some time finding out how to do this correctly.
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Verified Aesthetic rhadam's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2009
    Posts: 36,980
    Rep Power: 285860
    rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    rhadam is offline
    Originally Posted by JayGrxxn View Post
    Thank you for the input. I might add that I meant by next year December I plan to be 200 pounds. If I'm not gaining that much strength and stalling, is that a definite point to increase calories?

    From what I've read. It's best to eat around maintenance until your strength stalls, only then you should increase cals. I'm just so much smaller that I want this weight gain.

    This is my first time bulking the right way, so it might take some time finding out how to do this correctly.
    How old are you? How long have you been training consistently?
    USAF
    LEO
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User JayGrxxn's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2019
    Age: 49
    Posts: 40
    Rep Power: 0
    JayGrxxn is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    JayGrxxn is offline
    Originally Posted by rhadam View Post
    How old are you? How long have you been training consistently?
    I'm 22, this would be my second year of consistent training.
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Verified Aesthetic rhadam's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2009
    Posts: 36,980
    Rep Power: 285860
    rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    rhadam is offline
    Originally Posted by JayGrxxn View Post
    I'm 22, this would be my second year of consistent training.
    With 2 years of training, hopefully hard training, a 200 calorie surplus won't do much for you. Will you make progress? Sure. Is that an optimal way to train? Not really. I'm guessing you want to utilize a low surplus count because you want to maintain a lean physique? I don't blame you, i do the same. But you will run in to the fact that your muscle acquisition will be sub-optimal. What are your goals? Diet and training should be specialized to promote your specific goals.
    USAF
    LEO
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User JayGrxxn's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2019
    Age: 49
    Posts: 40
    Rep Power: 0
    JayGrxxn is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    JayGrxxn is offline
    I just train for strength and eat for size. I dont really have a goal in mind, besides maintaining a lean physique and bigger with some more mass. I know you can be lean, big, and natural only up to a certain point.

    Both times I've bulked were dirty and as a result I had to cut as long as I bulked.
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Registered User JayGrxxn's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2019
    Age: 49
    Posts: 40
    Rep Power: 0
    JayGrxxn is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    JayGrxxn is offline
    So I lost .4lbs since last week, but my arms at 1/8" larger. I guess I will add another 100 calories. Turns out I was eat 500 calories under my lean bulking plan. I still should have gained, but I'm guessing tdee may have increased due to some size increase. 300 calories above tdee should get me set. If not, then another 100 in two more weeks I guess.

    Could anyone give input? Am I recomping?
    Should I be increasing calories when lifts stall or when weight stalls?
    Last edited by JayGrxxn; 08-19-2019 at 03:13 PM.
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts