Clara2105 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Clara2105 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Clara2105 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Clara2105 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Clara2105 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Clara2105 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Clara2105 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Clara2105 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Clara2105 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Clara2105 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Clara2105 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Lose 3% body fat 23 yo female

Hi all,
    I'm a girl, 23 year old, 5ft6 (168cm) and 53/54kg (fasted in the morning, about 120 pounds)

I have around 19% body fat, however would like to lower slightly, probably around 16% or so, nothing less (I don't care much for my weight)

I already follow a beginner lifting programme to keep muscles, however I'd also like to lose fat, and so what I also do is intermittent fasting (20/4), as well as HIIT during that fasted state, and eat at about 1400 kcals (obviously it won't remain that low for very long and I DEFINITELY calorie cycle).

Does that sound alright? Should I potentially up my intake?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Clara2105; 08-12-2019 at 12:10 PM.

hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Clara2105 View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm a girl, 23 year old, 5ft6 (168cm) and 53/54kg (fasted in the morning, about 120 pounds)

I have around 19% body fat, however would like to lower slightly, probably around 16% or so, nothing less (I don't care much for my weight)

I already follow a beginner lifting programme to keep muscles, however I'd also like to lose fat, and so what I also do is intermittent fasting (20/4), as well as HIIT during that fasted state, and eat at about 1400 kcals (obviously it won't remain that low for very long and I DEFINITELY calorie cycle).

Does that sound alright? Should I potentially up my intake?
    I will start off by saying my opinion and then answer your question first off I am in agreement of Tucane's reply on bf% estimate:-

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...post1585734751

You should focus more on building muscle as this will offer better visual body composition likewise your BMI is quite low therefore gaining muscle would be beneficial for you and most likely is the best route to get the image you want.

Now to your question. If you wish to lose more fat I am afraid it is simple calories in vs calories out, your TDEE is in the bracket of around 1600-2000 which obviously is close to the number you are cutting on so as everyone miscounts it is possible you are eating near that range. The best option you will most likely have is drop calories by 100 calories and increase cardio that will push you further into a deficit.

Calorie cycling, IF or HIIT in fasted state make no difference towards fat loss it is total calories through a prolonged period, if it helps you stick to your calorie deficit then great but they aren't special fat loss tools. Have you stalled weight wise and if so how long?

A final point aiming for 16% is very low for a women and generally is not maintainable its in the similar range of a males 10%, very lean but if you don't have the muscle mass to show it kinda just makes you look skinny.

Clara2105 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Clara2105 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Clara2105 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Clara2105 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Clara2105 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Clara2105 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Clara2105 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Clara2105 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Clara2105 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Clara2105 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Clara2105 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by hardyboysare View Post
    I will start off by saying my opinion and then answer your question first off I am in agreement of Tucane's reply on bf% estimate:-

You should focus more on building muscle as this will offer better visual body composition likewise your BMI is quite low therefore gaining muscle would be beneficial for you and most likely is the best route to get the image you want.

Now to your question. If you wish to lose more fat I am afraid it is simple calories in vs calories out, your TDEE is in the bracket of around 1600-2000 which obviously is close to the number you are cutting on so as everyone miscounts it is possible you are eating near that range. The best option you will most likely have is drop calories by 100 calories and increase cardio that will push you further into a deficit.

Calorie cycling, IF or HIIT in fasted state make no difference towards fat loss it is total calories through a prolonged period, if it helps you stick to your calorie deficit then great but they aren't special fat loss tools. Have you stalled weight wise and if so how long?

A final point aiming for 16% is very low for a women and generally is not maintainable its in the similar range of a males 10%, very lean but if you don't have the muscle mass to show it kinda just makes you look skinny.
    First of all thanks for the response!

I haven't really started this whole regimen until a week or 2 ago, so I can't say I've hit a plateau yet. I've always been this weight and this bodyfat percentage (I usually eat around 2,200 kcal every day and stay at that weight (give or take 1/2 kg due to period weight) and bf% quite easily)
    I prefer the lean look but with muscle tone so just started doing this routine, I might up the weights once I'm comfortable with what I currently lift and it's getting too easy.

Are you sure HIIT intermittent fasting, if done at a deficit, is not still more helpful towards fat loss than not-fasting, but with the same caloric intake? I've read widely different stories about it!

I do want to aim for that aesthetic, it doesn't need to be 16%, however I would like to decrease my fat mass as at the moment it doesn't look very good.

hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Clara2105 View Post
    First of all thanks for the response!

I haven't really started this whole regimen until a week or 2 ago, so I can't say I've hit a plateau yet. I've always been this weight and this bodyfat percentage (I usually eat around 2,200 kcal every day and stay at that weight (give or take 1/2 kg due to period weight) and bf% quite easily)
    I prefer the lean look but with muscle tone so just started doing this routine, I might up the weights once I'm comfortable with what I currently lift and it's getting too easy.

Are you sure HIIT intermittent fasting, if done at a deficit, is not still more helpful towards fat loss than not-fasting, but with the same caloric intake? I've read widely different stories about it!

I do want to aim for that aesthetic, it doesn't need to be 16%, however I would like to decrease my fat mass as at the moment it doesn't look very good.
    The aspects of you trying to lose more fat is down to your preference its your choice at the end of the day. However my personal advice is if you stick to maintenance calories and progress on a proven weight training program as far as you can and when you can no longer progressively increase the weight intensity or volume increase calories by 100-150 you will build mainly muscle simply because you are new to weight training and its such a small caloric increase most will be used towards lean body mass development.

By increasing lean body mass you will in turn make your body fat look less due to the increase. Its not a quick process for sure but it is visually the most beneficially in the long term especially when you are already very lean. It seems pointless utilising your newbie weight training gains on a high caloric deficit when muscle development would be at a peak.

Yes I am sure. I can post some studies if you like but I explain the simple process of both just to highlight as the internet can be confusing.

Fasted HIIT - You exercise fasted you will have low glycogen therefore your body will use fat as energy to power the workout, great its using fat. However the moment you consume calories after your workout your body will use that as energy therefore glucose as that is now at peak. If you had exercised non-fasted you would have used that food as energy (glycogen) first and not body fat BUT after that energy had been used to a certain level your body would have used fat in order to keep you going after your exercise.

So basically both equal the same equation either burn fat + glycogen = 24hr caloric need (fasted HIIT) OR glycogen + fat = 24hr caloric need (non-fasted HIIT). As long as calories are the same your body will utilise both throughout a 24hr period irrelevant of which way you do it.

IF - Is quite simple 2000 calories are the same no matter if you eat them in a 4hr window or a 24hr window its still 2000 at the end of the day. IF helps some people adhere to their caloric deficit due to the repressing of hunger as your body can adapt to 'feeding times'. However for MPS (muscle protein synthesis) IF is not optimal which is quite important for body composition (not essential but useful).

Calorie cycling - The only way that helps is if you are more active due to the extra energy available during your workout times therefore over a prolonged period (lets say a week) your calories are lower then not calorie cycling due to the extra calories burnt. The problem with that is you can't uneat the extra calories therefore if you accidentally eat more unplanned the next day you now have two surplus days. It also makes things complicated in my opinion.

We all have different views of aesthetics so it depends on your view but I am assuming you want that 'toned' look, this is achieved by carrying out weight training and gaining muscle BEFORE cutting away the fat. It can work the other way but when you are already lean its best to stop before the end as you may start losing lean body mass the lower you go.

You look great absolutely no where near fat and I believe you would benefit from weight training at maintenance or very small surplus in order to stimulate more muscle growth instead of losing more fat which could impair on your natural figure.

Originally Posted by hardyboysare View Post
    The aspects of you trying to lose more fat is down to your preference its your choice at the end of the day. However my personal advice is if you stick to maintenance calories and progress on a proven weight training program as far as you can and when you can no longer progressively increase the weight intensity or volume increase calories by 100-150 you will build mainly muscle simply because you are new to weight training and its such a small caloric increase most will be used towards lean body mass development.

By increasing lean body mass you will in turn make your body fat look less due to the increase. Its not a quick process for sure but it is visually the most beneficially in the long term especially when you are already very lean. It seems pointless utilising your newbie weight training gains on a high caloric deficit when muscle development would be at a peak.

Yes I am sure. I can post some studies if you like but I explain the simple process of both just to highlight as the internet can be confusing.

Fasted HIIT - You exercise fasted you will have low glycogen therefore your body will use fat as energy to power the workout, great its using fat. However the moment you consume calories after your workout your body will use that as energy therefore glucose as that is now at peak. If you had exercised non-fasted you would have used that food as energy (glycogen) first and not body fat BUT after that energy had been used to a certain level your body would have used fat in order to keep you going after your exercise.

So basically both equal the same equation either burn fat + glycogen = 24hr caloric need (fasted HIIT) OR glycogen + fat = 24hr caloric need (non-fasted HIIT). As long as calories are the same your body will utilise both throughout a 24hr period irrelevant of which way you do it.

IF - Is quite simple 2000 calories are the same no matter if you eat them in a 4hr window or a 24hr window its still 2000 at the end of the day. IF helps some people adhere to their caloric deficit due to the repressing of hunger as your body can adapt to 'feeding times'. However for MPS (muscle protein synthesis) IF is not optimal which is quite important for body composition (not essential but useful).

Calorie cycling - The only way that helps is if you are more active due to the extra energy available during your workout times therefore over a prolonged period (lets say a week) your calories are lower then not calorie cycling due to the extra calories burnt. The problem with that is you can't uneat the extra calories therefore if you accidentally eat more unplanned the next day you now have two surplus days. It also makes things complicated in my opinion.

We all have different views of aesthetics so it depends on your view but I am assuming you want that 'toned' look, this is achieved by carrying out weight training and gaining muscle BEFORE cutting away the fat. It can work the other way but when you are already lean its best to stop before the end as you may start losing lean body mass the lower you go.

You look great absolutely no where near fat and I believe you would benefit from weight training at maintenance or very small surplus in order to stimulate more muscle growth instead of losing more fat which could impair on your natural figure.
    This is great answer, it definitely helped me a lot! Thanks a lot again, I will use your tips for sure and do more weight and increase calories to build muscle