ViralGym is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Unsure whether to take a diet break or reduce calorie intake

Hi,

I've been on a 1000 calorie deficit for 2 months and was losing 2 pounds a week up until recently.
    During this time I have been very strict in regards to tracking everything I eat with MyFitnessPal and double
    checking all nutritional information on packaging. My activity level was set at Sedentary (I spend most of the time
    sat at a desk) and I was eating 1300 calories with a TDEE of 2300 (I'm 6ft 3, 83kg). Once I starting going to the gym
    3 weeks ago (3 times a week) I increased my calorie intake to 2635 for lightly active.

My current routine to start:

Stretches
    Plank 3x60 seconds
    Bench press 3x5
    Squats 3x5
    Assisted chin-ups 3x10-failure
    Hip Thrusts 4x10
    Dumb bell carry 4x50 steps
    Face Pulls 2x12
    5 mins run 10.5km/h

Since then I take plateaued in terms of weight. What confuses me is that even if my intake should have
    remained at sedentary, I would still be on track to lose a pound a week, as I was already losing 2 pounds a week.
    I also find it hard to believe newbie gains would be having this much of an effect, though maybe I'm wrong?
    Unless it's due to a combination of newbie gains and not maintaining sedentary calories?

I'm confused as to whether I should return to my original sedentary calorie intake, or return to maintenance in case
    my metabolism needs to reset for being at a 1000 calorie deficit for so long.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by ViralGym; 08-12-2019 at 08:08 AM.

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    With a loss of 50 lbs your maintenance drops around 500 calories a day. How long have you stalled?
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    With a loss of 50 lbs your maintenance drops around 500 calories a day. How long have you stalled?
    I've stalled for 3 weeks, having originally lost roughly 16 pounds in 2 months.

clwhoops44 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) clwhoops44 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) clwhoops44 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) clwhoops44 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) clwhoops44 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) clwhoops44 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) clwhoops44 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) clwhoops44 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) clwhoops44 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) clwhoops44 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) clwhoops44 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    At 6'3 and 180 pounds, how much more weight are you wanting to lose? That sounds awfully thin to me already.

Originally Posted by clwhoops44 View Post
    At 6'3 and 180 pounds, how much more weight are you wanting to lose? That sounds awfully thin to me already.
    My goal is to get down to 171 pounds and then bulk. It's in the ballpark of about 13% body fat.

Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ViralGym View Post
    My goal is to get down to 171 pounds and then bulk. It's in the ballpark of about 13% body fat.
    you need to post a photo of yourself. 6-3 and in the 170’s you may just need to be adding muscle now as opposed to losing more fat. BF percent can be meaningless as people vary in where they store fat and have different degrees of muscle development not to mention the inaccuracies in determining body fat

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    you need to post a photo of yourself. 6-3 and in the 170’s you may just need to be adding muscle now as opposed to losing more fat. BF percent can be meaningless as people vary in where they store fat and have different degrees of muscle development not to mention the inaccuracies in determining body fat
    Photo as of today
    Attached Images

hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Photo as of today
    You should be bulking my friend. Cutting now would require you too low and even then you may just look skinny.

I am afraid you cant just cut to a good physique. How long have you been weight training for?

I believe it would best you followed a proven weight training program.

The first thing I'd do is get on a good beginners lifting program as "going to the gym" can have a lot of meanings and generally beginners don't really know what they're doing well enough to have their training make an impact. Poor training and adding calories can just lead to fat gain.

As far as diet make sure you're getting in enough protein. It's very hard to advise on calories because everyone is generally inaccurate with their counting even though they say they aren't.

Your best gauge of fatloss is keeping measurements of your waist at the navel. If this is going down you're losing fat. If it isn't then you aren't. So start a proper lifting program, leave calories alone for now and keep an eye on the waist and adjust things accordingly

To reiterate: More calories and a sub par lifting program can lead to fat gain instead of the intended muscle gain
    Last edited by Tommy W.; 08-12-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Originally Posted by hardyboysare View Post
    You should be bulking my friend. Cutting now would require you too low and even then you may just look skinny.

I am afraid you cant just cut to a good physique. How long have you been weight training for?

I believe it would best you followed a proven weight training program.
    I only started weight training 3 weeks ago, but have been hitting my macros for the past couple of months as I wanted to get that under control. I just thought it would make more sense to cut first and just focus on form rather than gains, then bulk later once I have my technique down. But it sounds like that isn't the best method.

clwhoops44 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) clwhoops44 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) clwhoops44 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) clwhoops44 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) clwhoops44 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) clwhoops44 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) clwhoops44 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) clwhoops44 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) clwhoops44 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) clwhoops44 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) clwhoops44 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yeah, confirmed. Time to put some muscle on. Cut later if you feel like you need to. If I were you, I'd start bulking my way to 200+ pounds before I ever thought about cutting, but my ideal physique is to be big and strong, not skinny with a 6 pack.

Thanks for your help everyone. I'll focus on putting muscle on whilst gradually increasing my calorie intake.

hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hardyboysare is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks for your help everyone. I'll focus on putting muscle on whilst gradually increasing my calorie intake.
    That is the best plan. I would advise following a workout plan which explains how to progress and the progression is what causes the muscle develop when combined with adequate protein and calories. There are a few in the workout section of this forum I advised looking at some, Fierce 5, Allpro and Viking Bare Bones are good options.