AndyCD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Can I lose fat just by lifting weights ?

Hi all,

I used to weigh a solid 140kg/300lb.

I then went into a strict caloric deficit and ate only cheese, eggs, butter and milk. It was a ketosis diet and very strict on the calories. I basically starved myself.

I then proceeded to lose 10kg. I went from 140kg/300lb to 130kg/286lb Over a period of 1 month.

But this was in December last year.

Looking to lose another 30kg/ 66lb.

My question is: Can I do this by just lifting heavy compound exercises ? (Squats, deadlifts, strict military presses, rows, bench press)

I will be doing Rippetoes workout as that worked for me in the past.

I used to be able to deadlift 200kg / 440lb, squat 140kg/300lb, strict military press 70kg / 154lb and power clean 105k/231lb. All this using the rippetoes diet and eating anything I could get my hands on. I weighed 118kg/260lb but it was ALL muscle, very little fat on me at that stage.

That was when i was 21-23. I am now 29 y.o.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Andrew

Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by AndyCD View Post
    Hi all,

I used to weigh a solid 140kg/300lb.

I then went into a strict caloric deficit and ate only cheese, eggs, butter and milk. It was a ketosis diet and very strict on the calories. I basically starved myself.

I then proceeded to lose 10kg. I went from 140kg/300lb to 130kg/286lb Over a period of 1 month.

But this was in December last year.

Looking to lose another 30kg/ 66lb.

My question is: Can I do this by just lifting heavy compound exercises ? (Squats, deadlifts, strict military presses, rows, bench press)

I will be doing Rippetoes workout as that worked for me in the past.

I used to be able to deadlift 200kg / 440lb, squat 140kg/300lb, strict military press 70kg / 154lb and power clean 105k/231lb. All this using the rippetoes diet and eating anything I could get my hands on. I weighed 118kg/260lb but it was ALL muscle, very little fat on me at that stage.

That was when i was 21-23. I am now 29 y.o.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Andrew
    Of course. Technically speaking, you can lose weight by doing no exercise at all as long as you eat less than you burn in a day.

But to really answer your question, yes. While not as effective for calorie burning in the short run, lifting will elevate your heart rate enough to burn a good amount. Not to mention better body composition and health benefits of lifting. If ya don’t like cardio, you don’t HAVE to do it at all.
    Life is constant learning. Give advice about things you know. Ask questions about things you don't.

*Health and Wellness Coach and Coordinator for all United Bank Branches of Alabama

BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    One thing will allow you to lose weight OP, a sustained caloric deficit.
    Old, but not obsolete.
    Geezer Crew

Never accept defeat! backinthegymbro's Avatar
    backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you ate exactly your maintenance calories and then weight lifted, then yes. Since you burn calories during exercising.
    But if you eat more calories than you burn, then no. You need a proper diet.
    Cobra Kai never dies!

ccbaseball30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ccbaseball30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ccbaseball30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ccbaseball30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ccbaseball30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ccbaseball30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ccbaseball30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ccbaseball30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ccbaseball30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ccbaseball30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would be careful in the beginning with focusing to much on the scale. Speaking from experience, I ate below maintenance, probably as healthy as ever, but lost nothing. However, I could see and feel the the changes.

Cool

Originally Posted by Nicksosure1 View Post
    Of course. Technically speaking, you can lose weight by doing no exercise at all as long as you eat less than you burn in a day.

But to really answer your question, yes. While not as effective for calorie burning in the short run, lifting will elevate your heart rate enough to burn a good amount. Not to mention better body composition and health benefits of lifting. If ya don’t like cardio, you don’t HAVE to do it at all.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I hate cardio because I'm a smoker and it's difficult to sustain 30+minutes of endurance cycling/walking/jogging.

Going to start lifting today with the Rippetoes routine and look to get lean, big and strong in the next couple of months.

Wish me luck!

Cheers,
    Andrew

Originally Posted by BS57 View Post
    One thing will allow you to lose weight OP, a sustained caloric deficit.
    Thanks. The only thing I have to eat is: Brown bread, milk, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and some carbs (Rice/pasta) and a bit of meat in the night.

That's basically all I eat. But I'm still not losing weight. Probably because I'm sedentary ?

Cheers,
    Andy

superiorlogic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) superiorlogic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) superiorlogic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) superiorlogic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) superiorlogic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) superiorlogic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) superiorlogic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) superiorlogic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) superiorlogic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) superiorlogic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) superiorlogic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You can't out-exercise a bad diet

Cool

Originally Posted by superiorlogic View Post
    You can't out-exercise a bad diet
    Owing to current circumstances, that's all I can eat: Brown bread, milk, P&J sandwiches and rice/pasta with meat for supper.

Is it that bad of a diet ? :P

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Owing to current circumstances, that's all I can eat: Brown bread, milk, P&J sandwiches and rice/pasta with meat for supper.

Bad diet is depending on what you mean?

For body composition then yes most likely as you lack many nutrients but it depends if you are hitting your required protein and fats.

For weight loss, doesn't really matter its calories in vs calories out. That said without adequate protein you will lose muscle therefore just become skinny version for yourself.

For health - its sh** full stop.

So depends on your goal really if you want to a skinny unhealthy and most likely lack muscle individual then you have a great diet. If not and actually wish to maintain some muscle and stay somewhat healthy I advise reading this:-

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=173439001

If you want to survive cutting fat you better start eating veg and fruit or its going to be hard long road.

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Any diet that doesn't include daily servings of fruits and vegetables is $hit.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

LMS62 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LMS62 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LMS62 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LMS62 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LMS62 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LMS62 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LMS62 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LMS62 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LMS62 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LMS62 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LMS62 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks. The only thing I have to eat is: Brown bread, milk, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and some carbs (Rice/pasta) and a bit of meat in the night.

That's basically all I eat. But I'm still not losing weight. Probably because I'm sedentary ?

Cheers,
    Andy
    What foods you are eating on a daily basis, or how “healthy” you consider them to be, will not help in losing weight....as it all comes down to total calories. If you take in less calories daily/weekly than you burn (consistent calorie deficit) you will lose weight. It really is that simple. Good luck!

BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Cheers,
    Andy
    Strictly in regards to weight loss, it's not what you eat, but how much.

Now, why are you being sedentary? You simply lazy, because losing weight coupled with laziness generally gives results less than optimal.
    Old, but not obsolete.
    Geezer Crew

Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Cheers,
    Andy
    Nah man, it’s simple. You’re not losing because you eat more than you burn. Period. Even being sedentary you could lose the weight, but it wouldn’t be ideal.

Others have already asked but if it isn’t too personal, why are you not exercising? Why are you only able to eat those foods?
    Life is constant learning. Give advice about things you know. Ask questions about things you don't.

*Health and Wellness Coach and Coordinator for all United Bank Branches of Alabama

FlySwiftPanda is not very well liked. (-100) FlySwiftPanda is not very well liked. (-100) FlySwiftPanda is not very well liked. (-100) FlySwiftPanda is not very well liked. (-100) FlySwiftPanda is not very well liked. (-100) FlySwiftPanda is not very well liked. (-100) FlySwiftPanda is not very well liked. (-100) FlySwiftPanda is not very well liked. (-100) FlySwiftPanda is not very well liked. (-100) FlySwiftPanda is not very well liked. (-100) FlySwiftPanda is not very well liked. (-100)
    Lifting weights builds muscle, cardio & a caloric deficit makes you lose fat.

earthtospace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) earthtospace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) earthtospace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) earthtospace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) earthtospace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) earthtospace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) earthtospace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) earthtospace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) earthtospace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) earthtospace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) earthtospace is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Weight lifting can definitely help you lose fat and gain muscle . Most of this magic happens in the rest period . However you should watch your diet . Age also plays an important role . We gain muscle harder as years go by . However the age if 29 is an excellent age .