stilliRise1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Severely big glute difference. What do I do? Surgery or training?

I've included pictures.

I don't what to do. I'm desperate and so sick of this. What can I do about this? Right now I feel like only option is surgery to make them even.
    Attached Images

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Our bodies aren't symmetrical and imbalances are natural - no one but ourselves tend to notice these things. As long as this is just visual and you're not experiencing muscle problems or pain, I don't think you should be considering surgery. IMHO your difference isn't severe and your butt looks fine. You could always try to tighten up the area generally w/ glute work and see if that changes the appearance, or if you feel the imbalance is b/c one side is weaker you could isolate that side (single leg lunges, planks, deadlifts, etc.).

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Our bodies aren't symmetrical and imbalances are natural - no one but ourselves tend to notice these things. As long as this is just visual and you're not experiencing muscle problems or pain, I don't think you should be considering surgery. IMHO your difference isn't severe and your butt looks fine. You could always try to tighten up the area generally w/ glute work and see if that changes the appearance, or if you feel the imbalance is b/c one side is weaker you could isolate that side (single leg lunges, planks, deadlifts, etc.).
    Thank you for your kind reply.

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    As stated above your glutes are not excessively imbalanced and without the use of the low coloured saturated pic I personally would see no difference. As highlighted imbalances are completely natural due to the dominance of certain sides of the body, my left bicep is more 'shaped' then my right as I am left handed for example. This could be one of the reasons you have a slight imbalance.

Surgery is a no go simple as at that, you don't need it and will cause more damage then good. You look good and lean therefore you are in a perfect place to build more muscle especially in the legs and glutes so what weight training program are you following?

Are you currently trying to gain muscle or cut fat as this may influence the effect on your body composition, a shapely gluteal on a women requires a decent amount of muscle whilst retaining a portion of fat in order to offer the soft shape that most women aim for (the curved buttock).

You need to ensure you are following a solid workout program which contains adequate weight intensity and volume especially on the lower limb area, this will also benefit from incorporating glute specific exercises such as barbell hip thrusts, squats, lunges, step ups etc and likewise some isolation one sided exercises may help balance out any slight imbalances such as single leg deadlifts, Quadruped Hip Extensions (donkey kicks), cable kick backs etc (see link below for exercises)

https://yurielkaim.com/19-best-glute-exercises/

As well as this to ensure balance ensure your major lower limb major exercises such as squats and deadlifts are completed with correct form with equal balance between each leg, make sure you have a full mind to muscle connection and complete the full movement even if this means weight intensity is dropped as this will ensure balance stimulation of the muscle.

Finally learn to think positively of your physique, you look great IMO. You can only improve if you commit to weight training so don't focus on the minor (and really minimal) imperfections and focus on overall view of your body composition which is what the aim of looking better is all about. The whole is always better then the parts.

Originally Posted by hardyboysare View Post
    As stated above your glutes are not excessively imbalanced and without the use of the low coloured saturated pic I personally would see no difference. As highlighted imbalances are completely natural due to the dominance of certain sides of the body, my left bicep is more 'shaped' then my right as I am left handed for example. This could be one of the reasons you have a slight imbalance.

Surgery is a no go simple as at that, you don't need it and will cause more damage then good. You look good and lean therefore you are in a perfect place to build more muscle especially in the legs and glutes so what weight training program are you following?

Are you currently trying to gain muscle or cut fat as this may influence the effect on your body composition, a shapely gluteal on a women requires a decent amount of muscle whilst retaining a portion of fat in order to offer the soft shape that most women aim for (the curved buttock).

You need to ensure you are following a solid workout program which contains adequate weight intensity and volume especially on the lower limb area, this will also benefit from incorporating glute specific exercises such as barbell hip thrusts, squats, lunges, step ups etc and likewise some isolation one sided exercises may help balance out any slight imbalances such as single leg deadlifts, Quadruped Hip Extensions (donkey kicks), cable kick backs etc (see link below for exercises)

As well as this to ensure balance ensure your major lower limb major exercises such as squats and deadlifts are completed with correct form with equal balance between each leg, make sure you have a full mind to muscle connection and complete the full movement even if this means weight intensity is dropped as this will ensure balance stimulation of the muscle.

Finally learn to think positively of your physique, you look great IMO. You can only improve if you commit to weight training so don't focus on the minor (and really minimal) imperfections and focus on overall view of your body composition which is what the aim of looking better is all about. The whole is always better then the parts.
    I'm following Bret Contreras Bootyful Beginnings. I've finished week 3. BUT when I do my glutes I avoid exercises that make my quads grow because I'm so quad dominant and my hamstrings are non existent! I do lots of elevated hip thrusts with band or weight, elevated nordic curls.
    it's just so frustrating because I realize my glutes also don't fire properly. Even when I frikking do elevated hip thrusts i can feel it more on my hamstrings than glutes. I have lots of work to do on my backside.

On top of this I'm trying to figure out why I have so much glute imbalance and what to do about it. I don't even know which glute is the "weaker one". The visually smaller cheek fires better and larger one doesn't, is the larger one then the weaker glute? I have bad flexibility too e.g I can't reach my toes when I bend over, can that have a play?

Thank you for replying.

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by stilliRise1 View Post
    I'm following Bret Contreras Bootyful Beginnings. I've finished week 3. BUT when I do my glutes I avoid exercises that make my quads grow because I'm so quad dominant and my hamstrings are non existent! I do lots of elevated hip thrusts with band or weight, elevated nordic curls.
    it's just so frustrating because I realize my glutes also don't fire properly. Even when I frikking do elevated hip thrusts i can feel it more on my hamstrings than glutes. I have lots of work to do on my backside.

On top of this I'm trying to figure out why I have so much glute imbalance and what to do about it. I don't even know which glute is the "weaker one". The visually smaller cheek fires better and larger one doesn't, is the larger one then the weaker glute? I have bad flexibility too e.g I can't reach my toes when I bend over, can that have a play?

Thank you for replying.
    OK Bret Contreras programs are pretty good so I would keep with program but as you only on week three it will take time to make significant development. Bret's program has two levels if I am correct so keep progressing to the end of Bootyful Beginnings then move onto the next program Gluteal Goddess this is when volume decrease and the weight intensity increases, I personally believe this is where the main muscle development will occur. That said do not skip past the basic program that will set you in good place for the more advanced program.

I personally wouldn't avoid quad dominant exercises and would run the program as stated simply because muscle develop will not cause excess growth the rate in which women can gain muscle is around 1-1.5lbs a month across the whole body so don't worry about the thought of over-developing one aspect as this won't happen on a balanced program.
    I would say the key for glutes to be activated is weight intensity and full range of motion simply because the glutes are the biggest muscle in the body therefore it is possible that if the weight is insignificant then secondary muscles will take the full workout without the need of the target muscle to do the work.

Do warm activities as well specific for your glutes can encourage glute activation during your main activities and may be an option to encourage the mind to muscle activation. Likewise working on one side will focus the working on that muscle this can be done with resistant bands and

https://bmjopensem.bmj.com/content/3/1/e000245

https://2mealday.com/fitness/what-is...and-why-do-it/ - Examples

Like I said it really is minimal and difficult to see so I personally would just focus equally on the whole glute as this will cause equal development and once you find which side is weaker through glute isolation exercises this would be the one I focused extra attention on so it matches the other glute.

This is discussed in a lot more detail by Bret in this link:-

https://bretcontreras.com/how-to-fix-glute-imbalances/

As for flexibility I would advise improving it as this may cause a issue in mind to muscle activation as a shorten muscle is likely to be less activated in levering activities then a longer muscle and likewise a tight muscle will activate less then a supple flexible muscle. To improve this just follow a stretching program after your workout after your muscle are warmed up and just push yourself a little bit further each time, not to pain but slight discomfort is my advice and it worked for me.

How long have you been weight training for? As it will take time to develop a proportional physique but you have a solid base level so keep progressing and you will be fine.

nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've included pictures.

I don't what to do. I'm desperate and so sick of this. What can I do about this? Right now I feel like only option is surgery to make them even.
    If anyone is paying enough attention to your butt to notice... tell them to marry you or back off.

Seriously, everyone has some imbalance somewhere. I don't know that I would go with surgery without figuring out the cause first. I agree with air2fakie...if it isn't causing you pain or discomfort no one likely notices but yourself.
    "We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot." Eleanor Roosevelt

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I would not avoid quad exercises if I were you. The program you are doing is a beginner program. That leads me to believe that this is the first you've been training. If that is so, the odds of your quads being over developed are very low. Do the program as written and you will get better results.

Originally Posted by hardyboysare View Post
    OK Bret Contreras programs are pretty good so I would keep with program but as you only on week three it will take time to make significant development. Bret's program has two levels if I am correct so keep progressing to the end of Bootyful Beginnings then move onto the next program Gluteal Goddess this is when volume decrease and the weight intensity increases, I personally believe this is where the main muscle development will occur. That said do not skip past the basic program that will set you in good place for the more advanced program.

I personally wouldn't avoid quad dominant exercises and would run the program as stated simply because muscle develop will not cause excess growth the rate in which women can gain muscle is around 1-1.5lbs a month across the whole body so don't worry about the thought of over-developing one aspect as this won't happen on a balanced program.
    I would say the key for glutes to be activated is weight intensity and full range of motion simply because the glutes are the biggest muscle in the body therefore it is possible that if the weight is insignificant then secondary muscles will take the full workout without the need of the target muscle to do the work.

Do warm activities as well specific for your glutes can encourage glute activation during your main activities and may be an option to encourage the mind to muscle activation. Likewise working on one side will focus the working on that muscle this can be done with resistant bands and

Like I said it really is minimal and difficult to see so I personally would just focus equally on the whole glute as this will cause equal development and once you find which side is weaker through glute isolation exercises this would be the one I focused extra attention on so it matches the other glute.

This is discussed in a lot more detail by Bret in this link:-

As for flexibility I would advise improving it as this may cause a issue in mind to muscle activation as a shorten muscle is likely to be less activated in levering activities then a longer muscle and likewise a tight muscle will activate less then a supple flexible muscle. To improve this just follow a stretching program after your workout after your muscle are warmed up and just push yourself a little bit further each time, not to pain but slight discomfort is my advice and it worked for me.

How long have you been weight training for? As it will take time to develop a proportional physique but you have a solid base level so keep progressing and you will be fine.
    Ok then. I'll try and follow your advice. How long do you think it will take me to fix my glutes? I'm working out about 4 times a week now and lets say I keep up with this frequency.

Originally Posted by nitefeatherz View Post
    If anyone is paying enough attention to your butt to notice... tell them to marry you or back off.

Seriously, everyone has some imbalance somewhere. I don't know that I would go with surgery without figuring out the cause first. I agree with air2fakie...if it isn't causing you pain or discomfort no one likely notices but yourself.
    I mean you guys are really kind with your comments but I see a big difference in my cheeks. One liner is longer than the other and one cheek sits higher than the other. It's pretty noticeable.

Originally Posted by spradish View Post
    I would not avoid quad exercises if I were you. The program you are doing is a beginner program. That leads me to believe that this is the first you've been training. If that is so, the odds of your quads being over developed are very low. Do the program as written and you will get better results.
    Maybe over developed is the wrong word. You're thinking overdeveloped as in that I've worked out the muscles more than the others?

I have a job in which is sit all day and my glutes and hamstrings are almost non existent but my quads are much bigger when seen from the side and front.

The reason I'm also avoiding quad dominant exercises is that last year I did the full BB program and a issue I had was when doing full range motion exercises I felt the burn in my quads mostly.

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Maybe over developed is the wrong word. You're thinking overdeveloped as in that I've worked out the muscles more than the others?

I have a job in which is sit all day and my glutes and hamstrings are almost non existent but my quads are much bigger when seen from the side and front.

The reason I'm also avoiding quad dominant exercises is that last year I did the full BB program and a issue I had was when doing full range motion exercises I felt the burn in my quads mostly.
    Feeling a "burn" doesn't mean that you are working that muscle more than another on a regular basis. If anything, you'd feel more soreness in a muscle due to novelty (not stressing it recently, new exercise, etc.)

Having undeveloped hamstrings and glutes is not a good excuse for not working quads.

PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I mean you guys are really kind with your comments but I see a big difference in my cheeks. One liner is longer than the other and one cheek sits higher than the other. It's pretty noticeable.
    Are you sure one leg isn’t longer than the other. I have one that is longer, and it seemed incredibly hard to diagnose because the body will adjust to counteract, I guess. My PT, who is Kenzie certified spent a lot of time trying to figure out my disc problems. It could be the angle because the pic you posted seems to be slightly form one side. But to me, it looks like one side is lower. I don’t see as much of a size difference.
    Last edited by PattyU; 08-11-2019 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Spelling error

Feeling a "burn" doesn't mean that you are working that muscle more than another on a regular basis. If anything, you'd feel more soreness in a muscle due to novelty (not stressing it recently, new exercise, etc.)

Having undeveloped hamstrings and glutes is not a good excuse for not working quads.
    lol my excuse is I want to look like Linn Lowe (check her insta out).

But seriously, If i do lets say a glute bridge with my body and only feel it in my quads what do you want me to do? I've been inactive for about a year until i decided this summer that I've had it. I sit a lot at work so looks like my quads are taking over everything which is why I choose to be glute and hamstring focused.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    We're not being overly kind - you have a nice butt and figure - and yes, there is a slight difference. Keep working at it since we all strive for better bodies, but focus on your whole body too, and soon you may be too busy admiring your overall muscle tone to notice cheek height. I bet most of us who aren't Insta models are walking around with asymmetrical butts.

lol my excuse is I want to look like Linn Lowe (check her insta out).

But seriously, If i do lets say a glute bridge with my body and only feel it in my quads what do you want me to do? I've been inactive for about a year until i decided this summer that I've had it. I sit a lot at work so looks like my quads are taking over everything which is why I choose to be glute and hamstring focused.
    Get better at the exercise you're doing rather than quit an unrelated exercise.

You're 3 weeks into an exercise program after a year of inactivity. It's way too early to expect any kind of physique changes (i.e., no whining about your butt cheeks) and stupid/short-sighted to fail to exercise one of the largest muscle groups in your body.

Your quads aren't taking over due to sitting. Your butt is not alarmingly asymetrical. You're just a normal undertrained woman.

Get better at the exercise you're doing rather than quit an unrelated exercise.

You're 3 weeks into an exercise program after a year of inactivity. It's way too early to expect any kind of physique changes (i.e., no whining about your butt cheeks) and stupid/short-sighted to fail to exercise one of the largest muscle groups in your body.

Your quads aren't taking over due to sitting. Your butt is not alarmingly asymetrical. You're just a normal undertrained woman.
    If I work out consistently from now how long do you think it will take for me to see some changes?

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If I work out consistently from now how long do you think it will take for me to see some changes?
    You can see visible results from training in 3 months. A year or so will probably pit you around 60-70% of your potential if you are doing it right. Everyone has imbalances. I don’t think there is a huge difference and is likely just the result of your dominant leg getting more work. Take notice how you stand, posture etc, see if you put most of your weight on one leg. A lot of people have terrible posture/ergonomic things that they do that can cause muscle imbalances and eventual issues. One thing is a lot of people walk with their right foot pointing out laterally more than their left, that is the result of driving and always have your foot for gas/brake canted a little. This then becomes a normal position, and people can start walking with that foot angled out leading to knee, hip, lower back issues. I would train both sides the same, butt (pun) include some unilateral work as well such as step ups or lunges.