Grumpy232 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Cant do squats due shoulder injury....

Just started weight lifting at the ripe ol age of 59. Just now learning on building up my core. My son is a gym rat, goes everyday for about 2.5 hours. He's cut. I finally came out of my shell and found a trainer (old friend) who is training me. He told me squats are probably the number 1 exercise and I believe him. My problem is my left shoulder. I injured it a loooong time ago (slap tear). PT fixed my shoulder so it's functional. But now I want to do squats. My trainer/friend of mine has me substituting leg press for the squat. I 'really' want to do squats. I have no problem with form and weight, but it's the discomfort in my shoulder that's my nemesis. I've tried it a few times and on different machines, but the outcome is the same, getting a comfortable grip on even an empty bar. I asked if this something I can stretch out. He tells me no, let's do leg press's instead. So my question is: has anyone else experienced this scenario with a bum shoulder and work through it? I'd like to even try a broomstick at home and see if I can get my shoulder to co-operate. Is this a bad idea? I've been wanting to get weight trained for a really long time, and now that I'm into it, I'd hate to give up on one of the best exercise. Thanks and hello

ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ECGordyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    This sounds serious, like a sports doctor should check out your shoulder. Your friend/trainer is smart is to be careful about it.

However, there are front squats which don't require as much shoulder mobility, although can't go as heavy on front squats. Also goblet squats, kettlebell squats, belt squats.

First let a doc check things out. They might suggest some shoulder mobility exercises like "shoulder dislocations."
    Currently running Calgary programming again: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1618375061&viewfull=1#post1618375061

air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Grumpy232 View Post
    Just started weight lifting at the ripe ol age of 59. ... I 'really' want to do squats... He tells me no, let's do leg press's instead... I'd hate to give up on one of the best exercise. Thanks and hello
    Squats are a great exercise (no exercise is "#1" IMO), but tons of people get injured doing them when they're young and perfectly healthy, and you're 59 and your shoulder hurts when you do them. Just do the leg presses. You should feel good that you've finally made it into the gym and are getting in shape - don't worry about the squats. You can make great gains overall without them.

BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Safety Squat Bar, if you're desperate. They're not cheap, but pretty sure it's exactly what you need.

But first, try stretching your arms out for a while, the arms don't hold much weight in a squat, so it should be safe. Also, it would be better to use a loaded barbell in weight rack instead of a broomstick, because it doesn't move when you push into it like a broomstick does, so you get a better stretch. If you do get to squatting, be sure to use a power rack with spotter bars in case something goes wrong.

If you have a trap bar at your gym, doing trap bar deadlifts are pretty close to squats too, I would say you really wouldn't be missing out on much if you done both them and leg presses instead of squats.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good answer above ^^^.
    The safety squat bar is one of my favorite bars to squat with that is very shoulder friendly.
    Sadly most regular commercial gyms don't have them.
    If the gym you go to does have one i would recommend its use to squat with.
    Other wise you might try the other recommendations above.

Grumpy232 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    Good answer above ^^^.
    The safety squat bar is one of my favorite bars to squat with that is very shoulder friendly.
    Sadly most regular commercial gyms don't have them.
    If the gym you go to does have one i would recommend its use to squat with.
    Other wise you might try the other recommendations above.
    Update to my squat situation. I'm able to hold my hands out a bit further than the stops for the weights, so I use two sets of bar clips on each end and am able to do squats now. But now I have that figured out, I have a question about the 531 program, I'll start a new thread for that question.