Liamthelifter7 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Powerlifting/Bodybuilding Hybrid Program

Hello fellow fitness fanatics! This is my first time posting on this forum, and I am asking for advise and opinions on my training plans for the future, as I want to make the time I spend in the gym as productive as possible! Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Okay, so I am trying to create a program for myself that combines the beauties of bodybuilding and power lifting. I have been lifting on and off for the last 4 years, and pretty consistently for the last 7 months. I just competed in two power lifting meets, one three weeks ago and one two weeks ago, and I have one planned for about 18 weeks from today.

I am leaving for college in 5 days, and my college has a pretty amazing gym for student use, so I will not really be limited in terms of the equipment I have access to.

So, I want to gain at least 120 pounds on my total between now and my meet on December 13th (my total on July 26th was 1,179.5 lbs. at body weight 178.5 lbs., and my goal is 1,300 lbs. at the meet. So, averaging 40 pounds per lift in 4 months). I also want to maintain a decently aesthetic looking physique, as I am going to be in college, and I want to do my best to look as good as I can in front of my peers, especially when it is sand volleyball day.

Now, obviously as I get stronger, I am going to gain size. That's just how the body works. In order for a muscle to get stronger, it has to grow in size. But, I am wanting to do my best to maximize both my strength gains for the power lifting meet, and improve my physique, just for daily appearance (I have no plans to enter any sort of competition for how I look). Okay, so now you know what I am basically going for, now time to lay out what my plan currently is.

Okay, so I work on a Monday-Sunday schedule. So, day 1 will be Monday, day 2 will be Tuesday, and so on.

On the days where I have a heavy day for one of the power lifting lifts, on that day, for my competition lift, I will do a set of 8 reps, a set of 6 reps, a set of 5 reps, a set of 3 reps, and then a final more "burnout" set of 8 reps. I plan to slowly work up my weights on these sets throughout the training, therefore increasing my one rep max.
    For most accessory work, I will work in the 6 to 12 rep range, keeping the reps above 8 on the more finesse movements, like side lat raises for example, working very close to or until failure on all accessory work (not bench, squat, or dead lift).

So, Day 1 would be my what I am going to call "Heavy Bench Day" - This training day, as you can imagine, will be focused on Bench. This is for bodybuilding, my "Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps Day". I would do competition bench, 3ish sets of incline bench, 3-4 sets or cable crossover, 3 or 4 at seated dumbbell military press, side raises of some variant, front raises of some variant, rear delts of some variant, close grip bench, and then one more tricep exercise, like reverse cable press downs, or something of that nature.

Day 2 would be my "Heavy Squat / Dynamic Deadlift Day" or "Leg Day" This day, I'd do my competition squat, either some box squat or front squat or some other variant, a speed work exercise variant of dead lift, like 2 ct. pause off the floor dead lift (I pull sumo, which is more leg centric, so I dead lift on leg day), some goblet squat or leg press, and then some more bodybuilding focus exercises, like leg extension, leg curls, and calf raises.

Day 3 would be my Back, Biceps, and Forearms Day, focusing on building thickness and my middle back and lower back. I always like doing pullups on my back day, as I feel like pullups are king when it comes to developing the whole back. So, I'd warm up with a couple light sets of lat pulldowns, do about four sets of pull, some close grip lat pulldowns, close grip row, dumbbell pullover, back hyperextention, barbell shrugs, dumbbell preacher curls, 2 arm seated dumbbell curls, dumbbell hammer curls, and some work on the Marcy wrist and forearm developer.

Day 4 would be my "Dynamic Bench Day". I would on this day do about 5 good sets of dumbbell bench, ending with a heavy set of 5 or 6 reps, some speed work on bench, with either bands or chains on the bar for bench with a 3 second pause, cable crossover, classic barbell overhead press, side raises of some variant, front raises of some variant, rear delts of some variant, and then two triceps exercises, such as cable tricep pressdown and skull crushers.

Day 5 would be my "Heavy Deadlift / Dynamic Squat Day". On this day, I would do my competition deadlift sets, either some SLDL or Romanian Deadlift work, some 3 count pause squats working on speed, some either hack squat or leg press, and then some more bodybuilding focus exercises, like leg extension, leg curls, and calf raises.

Day 6 would be another Back, Biceps, and Forearms Day, with an added focus on grip, focusing on width of my back and overall strength. So, again, warm up with some light lat pulldowns, about 4 good sets of pullups, followed by wide grip lat pulldowns, T-Bar or corner row, straight arm standing cable pulldown, shrug machine shrugs, DB seated concentration curls, laying down EZ bar cable curls, standing barbell holds with Fat Grips, 2 plate pinch hold, and barbell wrist curls.

Then rest on Day 7 - Sunday.

One thing I did not mention was training core/abs. I plan to do that at the end of each workout, so getting some ab training in 6 days a week.

Alright... so that's basically my plan laid out. I am attaching PDFs of basically the plan in a more concise package, with sets and reps included, and then my plan for my numbers for my heavy power lifting days.

If you have read this far, again, thank you! I appreciate your time. Please feel free to comment with any tips or advise you may have, any other exercises to include, or just what you think. I have spent many hours on YouTube trying to understand this stuff as best as I can, and want to be as productive in the gym as I can be, and become the strongest, best version of myself. Thank you again,
    Liam.

MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Westside Barbell would have powerlifting programs that could be called a hybrid, I would look them up online.

Anthony Clark was a famous powerlifter who would post his routine in powerlifting USA. His routine was like a hybrid I would say. I would google for Anthony's workout routine.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good luck adding 40 pounds to your 1RM in the bench in just 4 months, especially without gaining any weight.

12 pack > 6 pack PurmaBulker1984's Avatar
    PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Why don't you want to gain weight. I get that lifting is a class sport, but you are already 180lbs at 19 years old. You didn't say your height but i would guess at least 6' with that weight. You need to use these next few years to pack on mass. Skinny and tall doesn't win that sport longterm. You can only fine tune your technique so much. Good luck.
    Current max
    325 bb bench
    295 incl bb bench
    275 push press.

Married w/ 2 kids crew

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MarsScorpio View Post
    Westside Barbell would have powerlifting programs that could be called a hybrid, I would look them up online.

Anthony Clark was a famous powerlifter who would post his routine in powerlifting USA. His routine was like a hybrid I would say. I would google for Anthony's workout routine.
    Westside don't really have any programs.
    Conjugates a method to do your own ****.
    Though I would recommend
    2018 Log
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175232661

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Originally Posted by MarsScorpio View Post

Thank you! I will definitely look into his routine!

Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    Good luck adding 40 pounds to your 1RM in the bench in just 4 months, especially without gaining any weight.
    Thank you! I do want to clarify though that I think I may have miss communicated my intentions, as two people have now brought up me not wanting to gain weight. I do definitely want to gain healthy mass. The odds of me doing this routine for 4 months and not gaining any weight are slim. It would be unrealistic for me to go up 120 lbs. in 4 months and gain 0 weight, and that is not my intention to try and do. Ideally for the meet, I want to weigh in around 185 lbs, and have that weight that I gain be mostly muscle mass, and still try to maintain an aesthetic physique. I am not too concerned about any sort of titles or awards for the meet, so whatever weight class I am in doesn't really matter to me. Even if I weigh in at say 183, and have to compete in the 198 class, I am mostly just competing for myself, not trying to break any records or anything of that nature. So yes, I do want to gain mass. When I said that I want to establish a more aesthetic physique, I did not mean that I wanted to keep my body weight. I just listed my body weight in my post so you guys would have a better picture of my current status.
    Last edited by Liamthelifter7; 08-09-2019 at 06:18 PM.

Originally Posted by PurmaBulker1984 View Post
    Why don't you want to gain weight. I get that lifting is a class sport, but you are already 180lbs at 19 years old. You didn't say your height but i would guess at least 6' with that weight. You need to use these next few years to pack on mass. Skinny and tall doesn't win that sport longterm. You can only fine tune your technique so much. Good luck.
    Thank you. My height by the way is 5' 11''.
    As I just replied to DCSpartan, I may have unintentionally given off the impression that I am trying to maintain my current weight. That is not the case. It would be highly unrealistic for me to expect to make a 120 pound jump and gain no weight, which is why I am not trying to do that. I am just saying that I want to maintain a good looking physique and add on some muscle mass. Obviously, size is beneficial to a physique. And, as I get stronger, I am going to gain muscle mass. That is just how the body works. In order to lift more weight, the muscle has to grow. I am just saying I don't want to put on any unnecessary weight, and want the weight that I do inevitably gain to be lean, healthy muscle mass.

12 pack > 6 pack PurmaBulker1984's Avatar
    PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Sounds like a good plan man. Impressive numbers for your current weight. Keep it up.
    Current max
    325 bb bench
    295 incl bb bench
    275 push press.

Married w/ 2 kids crew

Originally Posted by PurmaBulker1984 View Post
    Sounds like a good plan man. Impressive numbers for your current weight. Keep it up.
    Thank you! I appreciate it!