kelseyxoxo is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Wink Back at it again after years of being lazy.

For starters, I'm 21, fluctuate between 97-103 lbs, and 5'2". I've worked out a few times throughout my life, never stuck to anything properly for more than maybe a month. I'd like to change that this time. I'm starting nursing school come later this month, and I figured I'd stop being a hypocrite and care about my own health like I do about others.

I've had this routine saved into my notepad on my phone forever, and used to follow it. It was taken from another routine found and tweaked to what I like. However, science and fitness changes through time, and things that used to be seen as good sometimes are found to actually be detrimental. I just would like a second opinion on what I have formed! I've seen the PPL, PHUL, and PHAT routines that I've never heard of before, but I just prefer a 5 day workout and weekend off schedule.

My goal is to gain weight, strength, be all over healthier, and look threatening to guys who think that just because I'm short I'm a little shiz.

MONDAY, shoulders/abs
    4 x 6-8 dumbbell shoulder press
    4 x 6-8 dumbbell seated side lateral raise
    4 x 6-8 barbell upright row
    4 x 6-8 barbell shrug
    4 x 12-15 flat bench lying leg raise
    4 x 12-15 cable crunch (may change, don't like it so far)

TUESDAY, arms
    4 x 6-8 barbell preacher curl
    4 x 6-8 skullcrusher
    4 x 6-8 dumbbell hammer curls
    4 x 6-8 bench dip
    4 x 6-8 barbell curl

WEDNESDAY, legs
    4 x 6-8 smith machine squat
    4 x 6-8 leg press
    4 x 6-8 seated leg curl
    4 x 6-8 leg extensions
    (would love to add more here. my gym doesn't have a calf raise machine.)

THURSDAY, chest/abs
    4 x 6-8 smith machine incline bench press
    4 x 6-8 smith machine bench press
    4 x 6-8 dumbbell fly
    4 x 6-8 cable crossover
    4 x 12-15 knee hip raise on parallel bars
    4 x 12-15 oblique raises on parallel bars

FRIDAY, back
    4 x 6-8 pull ups
    4 x 6-8 barbell bent over row
    4 x 6-8 straight arm lat pulldown
    4 x 6-8 dumbbell one arm row
    4 x 6-8 wide grip lat pulldown

Warm ups and cool downs are 10min on a treadmill, running what I can and walking what I can.

I would also like to set up a second routine to flip flop between each week in attempt to prevent plateauing. TIA!

air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What was the original routine & what level was it designed for? At 21, science and fitness hasn't changed much from whenever you saved it. I don't recommend your routine given that you've only worked out a few times. You're only hitting your muscles once/week - you need more frequency if you want to grow and you should recover quickly from whatever you can lift. Try one of the beginner routines listed on this site.

Also, you can use the smith machine or leg press for calf raises. And do NOT flip flop routines every week - you won't be plateauing anytime soon if you follow a proper routine.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    What was the original routine & what level was it designed for? At 21, science and fitness hasn't changed much from whenever you saved it. I don't recommend your routine given that you've only worked out a few times. You're only hitting your muscles once/week - you need more frequency if you want to grow and you should recover quickly from whatever you can lift. Try one of the beginner routines listed on this site.

Also, you can use the smith machine or leg press for calf raises. And do NOT flip flop routines every week - you won't be plateauing anytime soon if you follow a proper routine.
    I cannot remember that far back from where it was or what level. I know I researched heavily before stepping foot into a gym and then picked it apart as I started following it. It was a generic once a week body part workout.

I'll definitely look into the programs given. I believe my favorite so far is the Fierce 5! Do you have a particular one that you favor above the rest?
    "It always seems impossible until it's done." - Nelson Mandela

air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) air2fakie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by kelseyxoxo View Post
    I believe my favorite so far is the Fierce 5! Do you have a particular one that you favor above the rest?
    Any of them should work great esp since you're just starting out, so if your favorite is Fierce 5, go for it. Try to stick to the progression/reset guidelines and only tweak it w/ substitutions they recommend, not w/ other things you like. To gain size you'll also have to eat more in general and get enough protein. And stick w/ it for several months without any flip flopping - you'll see results!

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Any of them should work great esp since you're just starting out, so if your favorite is Fierce 5, go for it. Try to stick to the progression/reset guidelines and only tweak it w/ substitutions they recommend, not w/ other things you like. To gain size you'll also have to eat more in general and get enough protein. And stick w/ it for several months without any flip flopping - you'll see results!
    Thank you so much! I've got the exact routine in my tracker and I'll be starting it tomorrow.
    "It always seems impossible until it's done." - Nelson Mandela