slimthick416 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Really Struggling with Fat Loss

Hi Everyone,

I joined the site awhile back when I was in very good shape and recently got back on because after dealing with some hormonal issues, I've gained quite a bit of weight. Currently, I'm lifting 3 days a week and doing a 45 minutes of cardio on those days as well. The weight gain has been very discouraging and I'm hoping to get some suggestions when it comes to cutting. Should I be doing more cardio? What diet suggestions do you guys have? I'm not too concerned about weight, as much as I am with losing body fat.

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What are your weight and height?

In general, to lose weight:
    1. Use a TDEE calculator to get an estimate of your maintenance calories. Remember, it is an estimate based on a generalized formula, not a perfect/exact number.
    2. Subtract 10-20% from that number.
    3. Eat at that level for a month.
    4. At the end of the month, review your results. Are you losing at a reasonable rate of loss? "Reasonable" depends on the person and can depend on your starting size and comfort with eating in a deficit. A max of 1% of bodyweight is generally thought to be safe but most people aim for anywhere between one half (.5) pounds per week and that 1% (with nonobese women on the lower end since our TDEEs are lower to begin with.)

Other info:
    1. Aim to eat a minimum of .8g/lb of protein each day and lift weights following a good established program. The combination of these two is plenty to ensure you minimize muscle loss. (If you are heavily obese/overweight, use the top weight in the healthy zone for your height instead of your current weight when making this calculation.]
    2. Aim for .4g/lb of fat each day.
    3. The rest of your calories can come from more protein, more fat, or carbs. Doesn't matter. Do what you prefer.
    4. Cardio is good for your heart and lungs but you don't need to do extra in order to lose weight. It is good to try to move around more, in general, if you are fairly sedentary and if you enjoy doing cardio, by all means do it, but the bulk of your deficit should come from simply eating less.