nightpanda07 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Turning a new leaf.

Hey everyone,

In a a month or so, I am looking to change my lifestyle for the better. I am a 32 year old male soon to be father, husband, and veteran. I have been overweight my whole life with a few exceptions. I was 330 lbs through high school and lost 150 of it to join the military. Without too much detail, I lost that weight without trying basically because of financial problems and just not eating. Throughout the Navy, I had weight problems and it was hard to keep myself in standards and I did so by crash dieting to less than 500 calories a day just to make weight requirements. The job I had in the Navy was not too physical and involved a lot of sitting but I have the basic exercise background (pushups, running, and situps) being in the Navy. I got out in September of 2017 and I was 220 lbs. I found a really good job post Navy but it is an office style job and I sit at a desk for 12+ hours a day and it is rotating shift work so my sleep schedule is not the best. Now, 2 years later, I have gained over 70 lbs. I do go to the gym 3x a week but it is not even close to balancing out how bad my diet is and how sedentary I have become. But I am not saying I have been very active over my life. I am big into video games and watching TV and being lazy. Also, we are expecting a boy in October which will be my first child. All in all, the reason for this post, is I want to become fit and in shape because now my life has perspective and I want to live a long time. I want to try and find a program and diet plan that works for a person that has never been really fit and has been sedentary his whole life. Any suggestions would be great. My goal weight would be somewhere between 220-230 lbs. Any less would fine as well. I also for the first time would like to put on some muscle and look good. Sorry it was so long! Thanks.

fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Kudos and grats.

There is a lot of info in the nutrition section, and programs in the stickies here. We suggest doing cardio after workout, or on off days.

GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm a beginner myself so take my advice for what it's worth but I've been reading these forums for a while now.

I think you'd be advised to cut. So put your details in here: https://tdeecalculator.net/ ..and get a ROUGH TDEE. Then knock 500-1000 (1-2 lb of fat) a week off that for your daily calorie intake.

To get the more accurate TDEE, weigh yourself daily, first thing in the morning after you've been to the toilet, with no clothes on. Do the exact same every single day then after a week, add those seven totals up and divide by 7 for your average weight that week. Do that for another week or 2 and compare the differences and it'll show you exactly how much you are losing a week. Bear in mind though some of it can be muscle gain as a beginner even with a big cut. But if that number is too high then your deficit is too much and adjust as required.

Now with your caloric deficit you will want to take in 0.8g of Protein per lb of body weight and 0.4g of Fat per lb of body weight. (1g of protein = 4 calories and 1g fat = 9 calories) take that away from your daily calorie intake and fill the rest with whatever. Preferably healthy carbs to fuel your body.

Now that's nutrition.

Take a look at the stickies in here and choose a program you like the look of and think will keep you motivated. A lot of people prefer the fierce 5 3 day a week full body workout, I read it works well for a cut and is a highly recommended beginner routine with proven gains. I personally went with Vikings U/L split as I'm a skinnyfat guy that needs to put on a lot of muscle and it works in the hypertrophy range (8-12 reps).

If you nail your TDEE then make a deficit on that and stick to that with the protein/fat ratios I mentioned and stick to a workout program religiously you WILL lose 1-2 lb of fat a week and as noob will also gain muscle (MUST get that 0.8g of protein and 0.4g fat per lb body weight tho)!

Good luck with whatever you do.
    Last edited by GK47; 08-08-2019 at 10:53 AM.

GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Also how tall are you? As I'm 6ft and 171 lbs and that's skinny fat.. if I was 220 I'd be huge, so you might need a long term cut to get down to a good base size to then start lean bulking and making some serious body image improvements.

CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by nightpanda07 View Post
    In a a month or so, I am looking to change my lifestyle for the better.
    No better time than the present. Start today.