swolagani is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Powerblocks Question / Guidance in Purchase

Hey all,

Is it normal for Powerblocks to rattle around a bit when doing things such as overhead movements? I have a set of Elite 90s that I got for cheap (250$) and they're pretty solid, other than this thing that concerns me a bit. Like, when I'm doing LTEs, the weight will kinda move around. Could it be a problem with the selector pin? Also, I noticed that there's a small gap between the handle and the weights...what gives?

Now, if my powerblocks are indeed in less than ideal condition, my thought would be I should bail on them and flip them before they kill me or break. I see someone an hour and a half away from me selling the U-175s (urethane coated, they are currently 130 but are expandable up to 175lbs, as well as the stand, for 500$. They come with the lifetime warranty too. Has anyone had any experience using the Urethane coated ones? How is it?

So, basically my two questions are

1. Is it normal for Powerblocks to shift around?

2. What are people's experiences using the Urethane coated ones? (u-175)
    Last edited by swolagani; 07-27-2019 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Fixed wording

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by swolagani View Post
    Hey all,

Is it normal for Powerblocks to rattle around a bit when doing things such as overhead movements? I have a set of Elite 90s that I got for cheap (250$) and they're pretty solid, other than this thing that concerns me a bit. Like, when I'm doing LTEs, the weight will kinda move around. Could it be a problem with the selector pin? Also, I noticed that there's a small gap between the handle and the weights...what gives?

Now, if my powerblocks are indeed in less than ideal condition, my thought would be I should bail on them and flip them before they kill me or break. I see someone an hour and a half away from me selling the U-175s (urethane coated) that are expandable up to 130lbs, as well as the stand, for 500$. They come with the lifetime warranty too. Has anyone had any experience using the Urethane coated ones? How is it?

So, basically my two questions are

1. Is it normal for Powerblocks to shift around?

2. What are people's experiences using the Urethane coated ones? (u-175)
    First question: Mine don't, but I bought the Sport EXPs brand new. When they rattle at the lockout of a push press, it's a good sign.

Question two: I've tried them in store, only and I was never impressed.
    The phrase "U-175s that are expandable to 130" doesn't make sense, but U-175s for $500 is a steal. I'd buy them.

Originally Posted by supramax View Post
    First question: Mine don't, but I bought the Sport EXPs brand new. When they rattle at the lockout of a push press, it's a good sign.

The phrase "U-175s that are expandable to 130" doesn't make sense, but U-175s for $500 is a steal. I'd buy them.
    Rats I meant they are currently 130 and expand to 175.

Originally Posted by supramax View Post

what didn't impress you about them?

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    what didn't impress you about them?
    Are the U175 the oversized set? if so they may impact certain exercises where you'd want more ROM.

If you want a solid non rattling set of dumbbells Ironmasters might be more suited for you, but they have a longer weight change time.

This thread might be helpful if the U175 are the ones I think they are
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...3389821&page=1

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I've heard that Powerblock has fantastic customer service, so i would give them a call and see what they say.

Have you identified what's causing the rattle? might it be the adder weights? I would take the handle by itself out and see if that's rattling, or else check each weight increment and see if anything seems loose.

I've heard that past the 90 pound, or maybe it's the 125 pound can't remember, the weight increments and the size aren't fantastic. A bigger problem is that dropping them is not good. Might not be too bad if you're doing certain exercises like dumbbell rows where it goes straight down, but if you're doing heavy presses and they fall awkwardly that wouldn't be good.
    Domicron's Basement Gym and Fun House
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1451901723&viewfull=1#post1451901723

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #60

Originally Posted by Domicron View Post
    I've heard that Powerblock has fantastic customer service, so i would give them a call and see what they say.

Have you identified what's causing the rattle? might it be the adder weights? I would take the handle by itself out and see if that's rattling, or else check each weight increment and see if anything seems loose.

I've heard that past the 90 pound, or maybe it's the 125 pound can't remember, the weight increments and the size aren't fantastic. A bigger problem is that dropping them is not good. Might not be too bad if you're doing certain exercises like dumbbell rows where it goes straight down, but if you're doing heavy presses and they fall awkwardly that wouldn't be good.
    the black metal weights are shifting around..there's a small gap between the handle and the metal weights

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    the black metal weights are shifting around..there's a small gap between the handle and the metal weights
    post a few pics so people in the know can see, but otherwise email the pics to powerblock and see if anything's loose or if that's the way it is.
    Domicron's Basement Gym and Fun House
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1451901723&viewfull=1#post1451901723

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #60

Originally Posted by Domicron View Post
    post a few pics so people in the know can see, but otherwise email the pics to powerblock and see if anything's loose or if that's the way it is.
    //https:/ /imgur .com/a/OJzlZoZ

account too young to post images

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Powerblocks all rattle to some degree, but you don't hear it on the urethane-coated versions. If any of the plates and/or pins are bent, they will rattle more. As long as the pins are inserted properly, I wouldn't be concerned about them coming apart on you.

As for the other set for $500, are we talking about the U-125 Club set or another set? If it's that set, I'd jump on it for $500.

FWIW, I have the Pro EXP 90s and am quite happy with them.

Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I picked up a cheap set of the block 20kg set metal that rattle something awful and move around. The pin does start to work loose so I would never want to things like Dumbell cleans etc. However I also have the U90s and they feel very solid. Don’t know if it’s something to do with the plastic pin slotting either side of each weight selected but they are much better quality.

Mxchino has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mxchino has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mxchino has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mxchino has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mxchino has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mxchino has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mxchino has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mxchino has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mxchino has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mxchino has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mxchino has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Are you sure it’s not the adder weights in the handle shifting around? All powerblocks rattle to some extent. If it’s in your budget I would get urethane model. They’re much nicer than all the metal ones. Or as someone else said iron masters are even better.

Originally Posted by duplicitous View Post
    powerblocks all rattle to some degree, but you don't hear it on the urethane-coated versions. If any of the plates and/or pins are bent, they will rattle more. As long as the pins are inserted properly, i wouldn't be concerned about them coming apart on you.

As for the other set for $500, are we talking about the u-125 club set or another set? If it's that set, i'd jump on it for $500.

Fwiw, i have the pro exp 90s and am quite happy with them.
    u-175

dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Duplicitous View Post
    Powerblocks all rattle to some degree, but you don't hear it on the urethane-coated versions.
    ^^this. ive used every version ever made at one point or another. because the plates have to have room to nest inside each other, there is no way to avoid some movement of plates, thus noise, on certain movements. urethanes come the closest to fixing that issue.
    "ive made the most impressive gains when i spent months with the heavy dumbbells and left the power rack cowering in the corner like the b**ch that it is"-anonymous

"sometimes when a mans alone, thats all you got is your dog"

"he fakes to the left. no. he fakes to the right. he doesnt fake. he thinks about faking. he pretends to fake. i dont know where i am. i cant breathe"