Reply
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Registered User StillbornSoul's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2013
    Location: United States
    Age: 34
    Posts: 675
    Rep Power: 1662
    StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000)
    StillbornSoul is offline

    Experienced Lifters Please Tweak My PPL Routine

    PULL A
    Deadlifts 1x5+AMRAP (Or possibly 2x3, 1xAMRAP???)
    Weighted Chin-ups 3x8-12
    Unilateral DB rows OR chest supported DB rows 3x8-12
    Face-pulls 5x15-20
    Barbell curls 4x8-12
    Hammer curls 4x8-12

    PUSH A
    Bench press 4x5, 1xAMRAP
    Overhead press 3x8-12 *Alternate to 3X5 every other week*
    Incline DB press 3x8-12
    Triceps pushdowns 3x8-12 SS/w DB Hip-huggers 3x15-20
    Overhead triceps extensions 3x8-12 SS/w Side lateral raises 3x15-20

    LEGS A
    Low-bar squat 4x5, 1x5AMRAP
    Belt squat 3x8-12
    Romanian deadlift OR Glute-ham raise 3x8-12
    Calf raises 5x8-12

    PULL B
    Pendlay rows 4x5, 1xAMRAP
    Weighted Pull-ups 3x8-12
    Unilateral cable rows OR Seated cable rows 3x8-12
    Face-pulls 5x15-20
    Barbell curls 4x8-12
    Hammer curls 4x8-12

    PUSH B
    Overhead press 4x5, 1xAMRAP
    Bench press 3x8-12 *Alternate to 3X5 every other week*
    Incline DB press 3x8-12
    Triceps pushdowns 3x8-12 SS/w DB Hip-huggers 3x15-20
    Overhead triceps extensions 3x8-12 SS/w Side lateral raises 3x15-20

    LEGS B
    Low-bar squat 2x5, 1x5AMRAP
    Front squat 3x8-12
    Romanian deadlift OR Glute-ham raise 3x8-12
    Calf raises 5x8-12


    Looking to keep balance and effectiveness. Also interested in ideas about dropset and/or giant set placement, etc. Thanks in advance
    "Peace has cost you your strength. Victory has defeated you." —Bane
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User air2fakie's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 941
    Rep Power: 2135
    air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000)
    air2fakie is offline
    You may want to consider less sets of face pulls esp since 2x/week, less curls esp if going heavy on weighted chinups/pullups/rows, you can probably just go w/ triceps extensions and lose the pushdowns if going heavy with your presses, you can probably drop the hip huggers too (if they're what I think they are, they're not a push exercise anyway)... so maybe go from triceps extensions to lateral raises not as a SS and get rid of pushdowns/huggers.
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User StillbornSoul's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2013
    Location: United States
    Age: 34
    Posts: 675
    Rep Power: 1662
    StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000)
    StillbornSoul is offline
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    You may want to consider less sets of face pulls esp since 2x/week, less curls esp if going heavy on weighted chinups/pullups/rows, you can probably just go w/ triceps extensions and lose the pushdowns if going heavy with your presses, you can probably drop the hip huggers too (if they're what I think they are, they're not a push exercise anyway)... so maybe go from triceps extensions to lateral raises not as a SS and get rid of pushdowns/huggers.
    Thanks for replying. I've had a rotator cuff tear in my past and my RC is actually not fully restrengthened (doctor has cleared me to lift but says itll be 2 years before its retained 100% strength,) so that's part of the reasoning behind the face-pull volume. But You think 3 sets are better? rep ranges good or should that also be reduced?


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icuYZ_2-9Hg

    That is the hip hugger exercise I'm referring too. Jeff Cavalier says they're great because you can load up the medial delt much heavier than with Side lateral raises and focus on a contracted squeeze. It also has an external rotation component which again, I like due to past shoulder issues.

    What's your opinion on 1X5 Deadlift vs 3X3?
    Last edited by StillbornSoul; 07-27-2019 at 12:28 AM.
    "Peace has cost you your strength. Victory has defeated you." —Bane
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User jademonkey's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2019
    Posts: 741
    Rep Power: 950
    jademonkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jademonkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jademonkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jademonkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jademonkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jademonkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jademonkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jademonkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jademonkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jademonkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jademonkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    jademonkey is offline
    I'm not an experienced lifter but I superset Y raises (not sure if they have a real name - it's like rear delt flys with cables except neutral grip and angled diagonally in line with lower traps) with external rotations every 2 or 4 days to help with my shoulders
    Current.....................315 / 285 / 480............179 lbs
    July 1, 2019.................................................164 lbs
    Late April 2019.........285 / 275 / 440.............178 lbs
    Early March 2019......275 / 245 / 405.............173 lbs
    Oct, 2018..............175x6 / 145x6 / 275x5......163 lbs
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User air2fakie's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 941
    Rep Power: 2135
    air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000)
    air2fakie is offline
    Originally Posted by StillbornSoul View Post
    I've had a rotator cuff tear in my past and my RC is actually not fully restrengthened (doctor has cleared me to lift but says itll be 2 years before its retained 100% strength,) so that's part of the reasoning behind the face-pull volume. But You think 3 sets are better? rep ranges good or should that also be reduced?
    10 face pull sets/week sounds like a lot, but listen to whatever your doctor tells you. You can also do non-resistance rotations/stretches for your RC generally. I'd think 10-15 would be a better rep range for face pulls, but 15-20 is ok (you could vary it too).

    Originally Posted by StillbornSoul View Post
    That is the hip hugger exercise I'm referring too. Jeff Cavalier says they're great because you can load up the medial delt much heavier than with Side lateral raises and focus on a contracted squeeze. It also has an external rotation component which again, I like due to past shoulder issues.
    I still think this is a pull that targets the rear delts, but I don't do them and who am I to question AthleanX?

    Originally Posted by StillbornSoul View Post
    What's your opinion on 1X5 Deadlift vs 3X3?
    What is your thought process on that? Or the rep choices you list above?
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User StillbornSoul's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2013
    Location: United States
    Age: 34
    Posts: 675
    Rep Power: 1662
    StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000)
    StillbornSoul is offline
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    10 face pull sets/week sounds like a lot, but listen to whatever your doctor tells you. You can also do non-resistance rotations/stretches for your RC generally. I'd think 10-15 would be a better rep range for face pulls, but 15-20 is ok (you could vary it too).



    I still think this is a pull that targets the rear delts, but I don't do them and who am I to question AthleanX?



    What is your thought process on that? Or the rep choices you list above?

    I think I am going to take your advice on the face-pulls. I typically do them 3 sets of 12-15 reps and you mentioning it without being specifically cued to is a good confirmation measure of what I was already kind of wondering.


    You're correct that it is a pull and rear delts do get hit. I'm usually pretty tradionalist in terms of the type of movement patterns I bother with, but AthleanX made a good case for it in one of his videos so I wanted to give it a shot to see how it pans out. Do you think I should just throw it onto pull day in that case?


    I was asking about rep choices for deadlift 1X5 or 3X3. Both in terms of overall results as well as CNS tax management.
    Last edited by StillbornSoul; 07-27-2019 at 10:25 AM.
    "Peace has cost you your strength. Victory has defeated you." —Bane
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User air2fakie's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 941
    Rep Power: 2135
    air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000)
    air2fakie is offline
    Originally Posted by StillbornSoul View Post
    You're correct that it is a pull and rear delts do get hit. I'm usually pretty tradionalist in terms of the type of movement patterns I bother with, but AthleanX made a good case for it in one of his videos so I wanted to give it a shot to see how it pans out. Do you think I should just throw it onto pull day in that case?
    Yes to doing them on pull day, but if you're doing face pulls I think it's redundant, up to you. You could do face pulls on one day and hip huggers on the other if you really want to do them. With your RC issue face pulls should be a priority.

    Originally Posted by StillbornSoul View Post
    I was asking about rep choices for deadlift 1X5 or 3X3. Both in terms of overall results as well as CNS tax management.
    3x3 is more volume, but depends on what weight you choose for each. Not sure what you've been doing up until now, so was asking your thoughts since you also had different options in your list above, incl. 1 set AMRAP. Wasn't sure if your form breaks down in the 1x5 and you find you can keep it tighter with 3x3, etc. Neither is likely to destroy your CNS.
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User StillbornSoul's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2013
    Location: United States
    Age: 34
    Posts: 675
    Rep Power: 1662
    StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000)
    StillbornSoul is offline
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Yes to doing them on pull day, but if you're doing face pulls I think it's redundant, up to you. You could do face pulls on one day and hip huggers on the other if you really want to do them. With your RC issue face pulls should be a priority.



    3x3 is more volume, but depends on what weight you choose for each. Not sure what you've been doing up until now, so was asking your thoughts since you also had different options in your list above, incl. 1 set AMRAP. Wasn't sure if your form breaks down in the 1x5 and you find you can keep it tighter with 3x3, etc. Neither is likely to destroy your CNS.
    1X5 is less overall volume. My grip strength does better at 3X3 and overall form is probably better too. If I did 1X5 I'd be tempted to throw on a couple sets of rows to follow them up.
    "Peace has cost you your strength. Victory has defeated you." —Bane
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User air2fakie's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 941
    Rep Power: 2135
    air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000) air2fakie is just really nice. (+1000)
    air2fakie is offline
    Originally Posted by StillbornSoul View Post
    1X5 is less overall volume. My grip strength does better at 3X3 and overall form is probably better too. If I did 1X5 I'd be tempted to throw on a couple sets of rows to follow them up.
    3x3 sounds like the right choice then.
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Registered User StillbornSoul's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2013
    Location: United States
    Age: 34
    Posts: 675
    Rep Power: 1662
    StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000) StillbornSoul is just really nice. (+1000)
    StillbornSoul is offline
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    3x3 sounds like the right choice then.
    Thanks for the insight.
    "Peace has cost you your strength. Victory has defeated you." —Bane
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts