gomeybear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

L4-L5 and L5-S1 Herniations

Hello folks,

So for the past 5-6 years I’ve been dealing with on and off sciatica and low back pain caused by L4-L5 and L5-S1 (lower Lumbar) herniations confirmed through multiple MRIs over the years. I’m fairly certain the herniations occurred or were exacerbated during a weightlifting accident (deadlifts) that left me bedridden for approx. 2 weeks. Since then I’ve had several re-injury incidents where the spasm in my lower back would grab a hold of me and I’d be out of commission for a week or so. The condition has recently gotten pretty bad, where Im having trouble with basic daily activities. I’ve always been very active and fit, but this has gotten to the point where I’m having trouble in the gym, running, or anything that loads the spine to a minor degree, most of all sleeping at night has started to also be disturbed with tingling in my right leg. I started experiencing sciatica in both legs throughout this year and before it had only been my right leg too. Now experiencing foot pain in both legs very frequently - mainly when walking for a long period.

I’m mentally beat; I’ve been to several Orthos and Nueros to discuss surgery as an option and they always just want to prescribe pain killers and cortisone steroids for the inflammation. They’ve not given me the option of a discetomy or fusion as of yet but I’m really leaning to just finding a good Ortho or Nueros that will do it for me and not beat around the bush.

Lastly, I’ve tried all sorts of passive treatment options, Chiros, Physios, PT, Massage, Yoga, McKenzie, Stuart McGill methods.... you name it and I’ve likely done it. Well I suppose I’m looking for advice, I’m 32 and I got a pregnant wife that’s due in October. Want to be able to enjoy my kids childhood and not be in constant pain. Anyone who’s gotten a discectomy or fusion and is happy with the results? Lately I’ve also been looking into alternative treatment options like stem cell injections. Some Americans have done it in Mexico and seem to be having positive results. Anyways... any advice or encouragement would be much appreciated. Parting words, as many of yall have probably been this state of frustration - my mind is ready to hit the gym, but my body is telling me no....frustrating place to be.

Shafiq123 is not very well liked. (-100) Shafiq123 is not very well liked. (-100) Shafiq123 is not very well liked. (-100) Shafiq123 is not very well liked. (-100) Shafiq123 is not very well liked. (-100) Shafiq123 is not very well liked. (-100) Shafiq123 is not very well liked. (-100) Shafiq123 is not very well liked. (-100) Shafiq123 is not very well liked. (-100) Shafiq123 is not very well liked. (-100) Shafiq123 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Bumping this post for you. I have a similar issue

Kobe5rings has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kobe5rings has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kobe5rings has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kobe5rings has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kobe5rings has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kobe5rings has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kobe5rings has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kobe5rings has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kobe5rings has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kobe5rings has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kobe5rings has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    inquire about visiting a top hospital like the Mayo Clinic or Cleveland Clinic. Hospitals like that have specific spine units to deal with extreme issues like this. But not sure why you are not going with the steroid injections. That's usually the next step after month or so of PT. No Dr is going to refer you straight for spinal surgery until you experiment with injections first.

JustTheDad is a name known to all. (+5000) JustTheDad is a name known to all. (+5000) JustTheDad is a name known to all. (+5000) JustTheDad is a name known to all. (+5000) JustTheDad is a name known to all. (+5000) JustTheDad is a name known to all. (+5000) JustTheDad is a name known to all. (+5000) JustTheDad is a name known to all. (+5000) JustTheDad is a name known to all. (+5000) JustTheDad is a name known to all. (+5000) JustTheDad is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Kobe5rings View Post
    inquire about visiting a top hospital like the Mayo Clinic or Cleveland Clinic. Hospitals like that have specific spine units to deal with extreme issues like this. But not sure why you are not going with the steroid injections. That's usually the next step after month or so of PT. No Dr is going to refer you straight for spinal surgery until you experiment with injections first.
    I'd have to disagree. You don't need to go to Mayo for disc surgery. Being close enough to home to have follow ups and so that the surgeon is familiar with your local PT options etc is a good thing.
    I have found that every academic hospital I've worked at or with will have one or two docs who are cutting edge and good on almost any common procedure. If it were something more esoteric than lumbar discs, I might have a a more specific recommendation, but while anything spine related is scary, this is a common issue, not something you go to the Mayo Clinic for.

OP, where are you located?

Tatumsid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tatumsid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tatumsid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tatumsid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tatumsid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tatumsid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tatumsid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tatumsid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tatumsid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tatumsid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tatumsid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Don’t sit for excessive time. Try spinal decompression therapy

Located in Central Texas - Austin area.

Has anyone tried HGH injections in the lumbar spine for a herniated disc? Im hearing alot of success with this method....