WildHawg will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildHawg will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildHawg will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildHawg will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildHawg will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildHawg will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildHawg will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildHawg will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildHawg will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildHawg will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildHawg will become famous soon enough. (+50)

New Member 35+...

...now I feel old since there's a forum dedicated to my age group

Name's Charles, posted at the new member forum but I think I'll be hanging here much more often. I'm 37, married with wife and child and a dog, working as a desk jockey. Had a health scare a few years back and, combined with a young daughter, I new I had to fix some stuff. It's been a long slog to get there and now I'm finally in the gym.

Local gym here in Arkansas with two professional bodybuilder owners have helped me quite a bit. I'm 5'7" and 235#, long legs and a short back. I wear the weight well but that waist has gone from 32 to 40 inches over the years so I know I ain't getting prettier. Now that I'm going to the gym regularly and finding a bit of staying power, I'm trying to get over the final bit of the commitment bump by joining this community and staying focused throughout the day on my goals.

So, what are the goals? I'm not gonna sugarcoat it - I want to get ripped, as ripped as I can at my age. And I want to stay that way.

The challenges - finding the time and the motivation has been a big one, but I've been throwing extraneous hobbies into the trash over the past few years to make way for what I really want to do. Today's challenges are 1. diet (O-M-G) and 2. trying to find the right workout combination on a weekly basis for my body. The first one seems surmountable with effort and concentration. The second leads me to a bewildering number of machines, workouts, muscle groups, and other things I don't rightly understand at the moment. I'm at this forum to educate me on both.

Enough rambling. Before pics are coming and I ain't proud of them. Help keep me honest. Looking forward to working with anyone here and if I can help someone, I will.

P.S. To add a small thing, I started hitting the gym multiple times a week back in May and went from 229 to 235 lbs. I think I'm making up the caloric loss too much, not sure. I did start a light supplement up front but mostly eggs. Opinions/suggestions welcome, and note that I'm actively reading the forums for nutrition information this week.
    Last edited by WildHawg; 07-15-2019 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Added a note about weight gain over the past two months
    -c

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Welcome to the forums.

Please further define the goal of: “ I want to get ripped, as ripped as I can at my age”.

Ripped...

...also Ripped...

Last edited by grubman; 07-15-2019 at 10:37 AM.
    My 8 year progress video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wg3BXudgIjg

mckajdos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mckajdos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mckajdos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mckajdos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mckajdos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mckajdos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mckajdos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mckajdos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mckajdos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mckajdos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mckajdos has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Welcome!

Lot of good advice on training and nutrition across the various sections of this forum. Ultimately the purpose of this journey is to learn more about yourself and how your body operates. This takes time, but as you get better at it it's extremely rewarding to be able to manipulate different elements and see the results. Being consistent and honest with yourself is very important.

Best of luck with your goals!

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Your diet and sticking to will be the hardest part IMO.
    It is for many people trying to get that BF down.
    I would suggest you consult with the pro bodybuilders at the gym and see if one would want to take you on as student to show you the ropes and get your diet in order.
    Things that can help you are recording your training and diet in a journal.
    That way you can keep exact records of what your doing in your training and eating with all macros and calories recorded.
    It's a lot of work to do what you want to do.
    It will take time and you need to be motivated each and every day towards your goal.
    Good luck to you.

WildHawg will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildHawg will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildHawg will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildHawg will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildHawg will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildHawg will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildHawg will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildHawg will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildHawg will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildHawg will become famous soon enough. (+50) WildHawg will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I know where I used to be twenty years ago and generally feel that my physical peak has passed. Regardless, my goal is to get from 37% BMI into a much healthier bracket. Specifically? Upper teens for now, with weight loss at around 40 lbs. lose serious fat around the midline and chest areas while building a recognizable physique. Once I pass those general milestones I’d like to tone even further while building more muscle mass.

I’m learning through these forums and my home gym on what the milestones need to be, so I’m still not sure exact figures.

So - lose weight, tone up, then bulk up to peak (for me) as best I can.

***edit***

Wow, those photos didn't show up on my mobile phone so now I see a bit more where you were going with that. While the second is pro, I'd like to be larger than photo #1. Going for some mass here. But dang, that's a heck of a build in #2.
    Last edited by WildHawg; 07-15-2019 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Saw Grubman's photos!
    -c

Originally Posted by mckajdos View Post
    Welcome!

Lot of good advice on training and nutrition across the various sections of this forum. Ultimately the purpose of this journey is to learn more about yourself and how your body operates. This takes time, but as you get better at it it's extremely rewarding to be able to manipulate different elements and see the results. Being consistent and honest with yourself is very important.

Best of luck with your goals!
    I see that through browsing the forums and intend to take full advantage. I started slowly and am just now ramping up in workout frequency and intensity; we'll see where we get. Being honest is tough - I like to lie to myself about what I eat. That'll be my biggest hurdle I think.
    -c

Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    Your diet and sticking to will be the hardest part IMO.
    It is for many people trying to get that BF down.
    I would suggest you consult with the pro bodybuilders at the gym and see if one would want to take you on as student to show you the ropes and get your diet in order.
    Things that can help you are recording your training and diet in a journal.
    That way you can keep exact records of what your doing in your training and eating with all macros and calories recorded.
    It's a lot of work to do what you want to do.
    It will take time and you need to be motivated each and every day towards your goal.
    Good luck to you.
    I'm very lucky to have one of the owners of the gym as a personal trainer right off the bat. I realized I needed that boost to get in more often; to be held accountable; and finally, to figure out all the weight machines and how to start off. She's done a wonderful job with me so far.

Regarding training and diet journal, that's a good suggestion that I'll take to heart. Thanks for it.
    -c

bustasinclair has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustasinclair has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustasinclair has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustasinclair has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustasinclair has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustasinclair has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustasinclair has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustasinclair has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustasinclair has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustasinclair has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bustasinclair has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Welcome to the forums!

Age 37 is when I started 10 years ago....whew, doesn't seem that long ago. These forums basically showed me everything I needed and all for free. There will be much misinformation that you'll have to suffer through, but it's worth it. Consistency is key. Sounds like a lame one liner, but it's so true.

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    10 years ago for me also. You got one year on me since I'm ONLY 46

Like you, this place was the primary source of info that helped me get pointed in the right direction. Unfortunately, many of the good informative posters are long gone. I only say be careful with taking advice at face value on here. There is a lot of TERRIBLE advice. But, there is still good info if you lean to sift through it.

If your goal is to get 'ripped' I am guessing you need to lose 50-60 lbs. You will scoff at that probably, but a picture would help better. But I would say 50lbs minimum. Check ego at the door and suck it up if that is your goal.

Good luck.
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

massager2019 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I understand that you are very conscious people, but you have to be more aware of your age and circumstances. Best of luck......

Originally Posted by induced_drag View Post
    10 years ago for me also. You got one year on me since I'm ONLY 46

Like you, this place was the primary source of info that helped me get pointed in the right direction. Unfortunately, many of the good informative posters are long gone. I only say be careful with taking advice at face value on here. There is a lot of TERRIBLE advice. But, there is still good info if you lean to sift through it.

If your goal is to get 'ripped' I am guessing you need to lose 50-60 lbs. You will scoff at that probably, but a picture would help better. But I would say 50lbs minimum. Check ego at the door and suck it up if that is your goal.

Good luck.
    Well then, one year late start I'm good with that. Thanks for the heads up re: information. My primary is my trainer, her and her husband are professional lifters and bodybuilders from 'bama and she's great. So it gives me a strong foundation to supplement with information here as needed.

And yes, when I was muscular "back then" I was right around 175 lbs. So you're spot on about the weight loss. I'm zen about it, and I know that I'm obese by the numbers and weight loss is key. It should be easier to suck that up than this stomach I've been carrying around for the past dozen plus years.

As an aside, in Arkansas, you'd not believe the number of doctors/PCPs who never mention my weight during an annual checkup (read: none of them do). I asked one Dr. about it after she said I was tip top, and her response was, oh yeah, there's that but you look fine. ?!?!?! No sense.
    -c

Originally Posted by bustasinclair View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

Age 37 is when I started 10 years ago....whew, doesn't seem that long ago. These forums basically showed me everything I needed and all for free. There will be much misinformation that you'll have to suffer through, but it's worth it. Consistency is key. Sounds like a lame one liner, but it's so true.
    I'll take it. Consistency is a real thing. It's actually what's kept me so overweight and out of the gym... consistently overeating and not heading to hit weights...
    -c

induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I can give you my advice, but I am not sure our goals are the same.

My first goal was to get back as much size and strength as possible. I dropped 35 lbs very quickly but stopped there as I did not want to diet off too much muscle. I then made a second push for fat loss that bottomed out in the 170's. But a year later I was back to 195ish. All attributed to muscle memory since I was that size in my 20's.

I spent the next 4-5 years eating surpluses and deficits NON_STOP. I would eat up 25-30 lbs for 4-6 months and then diet at a 750 cal deficit for 10-12 weeks. Over and over clawing on to as much mass as I could get and hold.

It is only the last 3 years I have worked towards getting 'ripped' as I never wanted to pay the cost in muscle to get there and I did not feel I was mature enough mass wise. I now know I am not going to grow from here, so being lean is no real downside.

This is where I stay now. I am right about 200lbs.

Getting here took TONS of work and lots of sacrifice on a daily basis. Training is the easy part. The eating will affect every part of your life and for most people is a completed re-vamp. The further you want to go, the more obsessive you have to get about your food and eat for your goals. There are a lot of guys who would be happy to where I was at the end of my first year of training. The changes were huge. But it took me 8 more years to make which some might say are really not all that much difference.

It has to be something you want or you will fail. I can share, that now that I am here, it is really easy. I can maintain my physique and pretty much eat anything I want. I obviously carry the tools to make decisions from my years of structured dieting, but I dont feel it is a prison sentence. People on the outside would probably still say I am on a 'diet'. But this is just life to me.

RAW lifts

I should also add to the above that the last 5 years of my training have not been 100% natural. I believe that has allowed me to be 6-8lbs heavier than I could have otherwise at the body fat I am now. These were some of my last pics as lifetime natural, but I did not realize that I had actual low-t at the time they were taken. I have since sought treatment and played around a little which cant be discussed here. Note I never let myself get too lean before since I did not want to diet muscle off. So I dont make a big deal about the non-natural part since it did not change much for me. I did not rely on that to build my physique. But I am also not a huge guy either.

Just did not want to leave that out.

RAW lifts

I can give you my advice, but I am not sure our goals are the same.

My first goal was to get back as much size and strength as possible. I dropped 35 lbs very quickly but stopped there as I did not want to diet off too much muscle. I then made a second push for fat loss that bottomed out in the 170's. But a year later I was back to 195ish. All attributed to muscle memory since I was that size in my 20's.

I spent the next 4-5 years eating surpluses and deficits NON_STOP. I would eat up 25-30 lbs for 4-6 months and then diet at a 750 cal deficit for 10-12 weeks. Over and over clawing on to as much mass as I could get and hold.

It is only the last 3 years I have worked towards getting 'ripped' as I never wanted to pay the cost in muscle to get there and I did not feel I was mature enough mass wise. I now know I am not going to grow from here, so being lean is no real downside.

This is where I stay now. I am right about 200lbs.

Getting here took TONS of work and lots of sacrifice on a daily basis. Training is the easy part. The eating will affect every part of your life and for most people is a completed re-vamp. The further you want to go, the more obsessive you have to get about your food and eat for your goals. There are a lot of guys who would be happy to where I was at the end of my first year of training. The changes were huge. But it took me 8 more years to make which some might say are really not all that much difference.

It has to be something you want or you will fail. I can share, that now that I am here, it is really easy. I can maintain my physique and pretty much eat anything I want. I obviously carry the tools to make decisions from my years of structured dieting, but I dont feel it is a prison sentence. People on the outside would probably still say I am on a 'diet'. But this is just life to me.
    ID, thanks for the supplementary info and photos. The images show a lot of change, and I can see where at the end there's quite a bit of effort for what some may consider less impactful change, but you can tell the difference. I'm impressed, that's a ton of work and well earned results.

Your testimony is making me think about long term goals, and I'll admit to having simple vagaries rather than a clear vision at the moment. Short-term is to get my eating habits righted and commit to aerobic and anaerobic exercises. I'm going to get that in a row and as I keep on I'll come back to this with questions for sure. I focused on diet in my younger years and I think it's slipped so far in the wrong direction that I need to learn how to eat well again.

BTW, is that a home gym? The setup is sharp.
    -c

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Welcome Hawg. Good stuff in here.

MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by WildHawg View Post
    I'll take it. Consistency is a real thing. It's actually what's kept me so overweight and out of the gym... consistently overeating and not heading to hit weights...
    Same here, spent 10 years eating crap and saying I'd join a gym tomorrow. For me it's a double edge sword - the diet becomes tiresome for me, and the gains are slow which eventually leads me to wonder whether it's all worth it.

However this time around I've taken before and after pics (progress pictures). When I'm feeling a little skinny or a little bloated I compare my most recent progress pic with my very first one, and I'm instantly reminded why I'm doing this, and how far I've come.

I'm no expert, but I think my one bit of advice would be to put in 80% effort. The problem with putting in 100% is I think it can just consume you and eventually burn you out (this is what tends to happen to me) and at the end of the day we aren't all competing to be Mr Olympia. But if you can stick to it 80% of the time, forever, that's better than running out of steam in a year or two (in my opinion).

tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I was going to comment that to be ripped you will have to lose way more then 40 pounds and then I saw ID mentioned it but you probably even need more than the 50-60 pounds that he estimated.

I am the same height and started my transformation at 228 pounds and to get rid of most of the fat around the lower waist I had to go down to 164. But I wouldn’t worry too much about the end goal right now, just work to get to 200 for now. Then 190, then 180, and at that point you will start to see how much more is needed to be ripped.

If I can do it at the age 49 then you can definitely do it at 37 years old. It will just come down to if you really want to do it. And of course you will need to stick with it because it won’t happen in just a few months.

Here is a video I made of my journey to get fit:
    https://youtu.be/shFevG6T5_4

After reaching my goal I maintained for about 1 month and then worked on building muscle for the next 6 months. Here is a pic going from a weekly average of 164 to a weekly average of 176:

I gained a little fat around the midsection but was happy with how I filled out everywhere else. I am now dieting some of the fat back off and now at 170 I am close to as lean as I was at 164 last fall.

If you have the discipline to stick with it long enough to start seeing results you just may end up making a lifestyle change like I have. Good luck!
    Bodybuilding is much more than an hour in the gym a few days a week---it's a lifestyle that changes all your perceptions about how to live, eat, and rest. It feeds the mind as much (and sometimes more so) than the body.
    ~Originally posted by ironwill2008

Originally Posted by WildHawg View Post
    ID, thanks for the supplementary info and photos. The images show a lot of change, and I can see where at the end there's quite a bit of effort for what some may consider less impactful change, but you can tell the difference. I'm impressed, that's a ton of work and well earned results.

Your testimony is making me think about long term goals, and I'll admit to having simple vagaries rather than a clear vision at the moment. Short-term is to get my eating habits righted and commit to aerobic and anaerobic exercises. I'm going to get that in a row and as I keep on I'll come back to this with questions for sure. I focused on diet in my younger years and I think it's slipped so far in the wrong direction that I need to learn how to eat well again.

BTW, is that a home gym? The setup is sharp.
    It is truly amazing what the investment in time and consistency will do. BUT, you can not underestimate just how fast you can make progress initially which will serve as a great source of motivation to keep you going.

I am not trying to pic whore up, but I did a lot of documentation and I think that was very helpful to my pursuit. I wanted to share a few things. Diet, mainly overall caloric intake, will determine what direction your weight will follow. It is on that guys like 'Timberwolf' introduced me to the ideas of "IIFYM". If it fits your macros. I can remember reading his posts about eating whoppers and just about any food and just making his diet hit certain protein, carb and fat levels. It totally blew my mind and went against all the ideas I had ever had about weight loss and fat loss.

Cardio is not an effective fat loss tool. Eating less it. Cardio is good for overall health, but you can not out-exercise an improperly constructed intake. I dove in and like a sponge absorbed all that people were kind enough to share here. There is an Emma Leigh thread going way back that laid out all the basics.

I used an early version of MyfitnessPal and set out to try it. No cardio with weight training 4 days per week. This is a "REAL" 11 week transformation. All pics are legit and I was not trying to look bad in the first ones.

If this does not show the power of IIFYM, I dont know what does. FWIW, I have never been a lean person either. But I learned that controlling intake is the MOST powerful tool we have at our disposal. I will go so far to say I put it above reps and set and even program. I also think 95% of people fail because of diet, not their training.

Following this cut, I learned the power of eating a sustained surplus. And then that was my life for the next 5 years. I no longer 'eat up' since I am tapped out size wise, but I know 100% I would not be even close to where I am now unless I had learned to eat for my goals.

RAW lifts

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Welcome!

This could be me being extra stupid, but it took me a while to work out what "spread" and "on spread" meant in comments on these forums. When you want to add rep point to someone (like me and I_D advice above) but it says "you must spread some reputation around before giving it to xxxx again" but you want to state approval people make comments that a person is "on spread". Hope that helps...

MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Diet, mainly overall caloric intake, will determine what direction your weight will follow. It is on that guys like 'Timberwolf' introduced me to the ideas of "IIFYM". If it fits your macros. I can remember reading his posts about eating whoppers and just about any food and just making his diet hit certain protein, carb and fat levels. It totally blew my mind and went against all the ideas I had ever had about weight loss and fat loss.

Cardio is not an effective fat loss tool. Eating less it. Cardio is good for overall health, but you can not out-exercise an improperly constructed intake.
    OP, this is excellent advice, and exactly why I ditched cardio early on (you don't have to if you don't want to, but you don't have to do it if you prefer not to) and how I lost nearly 50 pounds whilst still eating every single food type that I enjoy.

It is truly amazing what the investment in time and consistency will do. BUT, you can not underestimate just how fast you can make progress initially which will serve as a great source of motivation to keep you going.

I am not trying to pic whore up, but I did a lot of documentation and I think that was very helpful to my pursuit. I wanted to share a few things. Diet, mainly overall caloric intake, will determine what direction your weight will follow. It is on that guys like 'Timberwolf' introduced me to the ideas of "IIFYM". If it fits your macros. I can remember reading his posts about eating whoppers and just about any food and just making his diet hit certain protein, carb and fat levels. It totally blew my mind and went against all the ideas I had ever had about weight loss and fat loss.

Cardio is not an effective fat loss tool. Eating less it. Cardio is good for overall health, but you can not out-exercise an improperly constructed intake. I dove in and like a sponge absorbed all that people were kind enough to share here. There is an Emma Leigh thread going way back that laid out all the basics.

I used an early version of MyfitnessPal and set out to try it. No cardio with weight training 4 days per week. This is a "REAL" 11 week transformation. All pics are legit and I was not trying to look bad in the first ones.

If this does not show the power of IIFYM, I dont know what does. FWIW, I have never been a lean person either. But I learned that controlling intake is the MOST powerful tool we have at our disposal. I will go so far to say I put it above reps and set and even program. I also think 95% of people fail because of diet, not their training.

Following this cut, I learned the power of eating a sustained surplus. And then that was my life for the next 5 years. I no longer 'eat up' since I am tapped out size wise, but I know 100% I would not be even close to where I am now unless I had learned to eat for my goals.
    You've introduced me to a whole new world with macros. Just... wow, it's a lot to take in after the trad approach. Thank you. And photos are awesome, gives me a good reference to what's possible.

RE: cardio, that's interesting. I'm working aerobic exercises into my routine to burn fat, with the idea that intake is key, but this pushes eating habits even further into the fore.

Info is great, a bit overwhelming after a single day, so I'll chew on it a bit and try to incorporate it into my habits to see some return.
    -c

Originally Posted by tblodg15 View Post
    I was going to comment that to be ripped you will have to lose way more then 40 pounds and then I saw ID mentioned it but you probably even need more than the 50-60 pounds that he estimated.

I am the same height and started my transformation at 228 pounds and to get rid of most of the fat around the lower waist I had to go down to 164. But I wouldn’t worry too much about the end goal right now, just work to get to 200 for now. Then 190, then 180, and at that point you will start to see how much more is needed to be ripped.

If I can do it at the age 49 then you can definitely do it at 37 years old. It will just come down to if you really want to do it. And of course you will need to stick with it because it won’t happen in just a few months.

Here is a video I made of my journey to get fit:

After reaching my goal I maintained for about 1 month and then worked on building muscle for the next 6 months. Here is a pic going from a weekly average of 164 to a weekly average of 176:

I gained a little fat around the midsection but was happy with how I filled out everywhere else. I am now dieting some of the fat back off and now at 170 I am close to as lean as I was at 164 last fall.

If you have the discipline to stick with it long enough to start seeing results you just may end up making a lifestyle change like I have. Good luck!
    TD,

Thanks for the video! And the information on weight and dieting from you and the others is helping me steer in the right direction quickly, so I'm glad I posted. Photos are great too.

Your suggested weight drop is noted. If I remember correctly I was around 165 or so back 20 yrs ago when seriously working out, which means roughly 70 pounds above that now. Ugh. Is it bad to say, however, that at my age I actually WANT to care about being a bit bigger rather than just strong and fit?

Working on before pics to show (they're not good, I'll tell you that) and let's see where I am at the end of the year...
    -c