laylowmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Shrugs behind the back?

Is it worthwhile to do shrugs with the bar behind your back? Pros and cons?

BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Ronnie did them. It takes zero extra time if you sub a front set for a behind set, so there's no disadvantage.
    I like to do them with a raised heel too, stops ass getting in the way so much.

air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Pros: they will hit your middle traps more than front shrugs would, which will hit your upper traps mostly.

Cons: Some people find the movement awkward or uncomfortable, and can’t shrug as much weight behind the back.

Worth doing if you want to hit your mid traps and don’t find the movement to be problematic. Some people don’t like shrugs in general but if you’re doing front shrugs anyway, no real con in doing them both or alternating them in your rotation.

NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotThatUgly will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ass gets in the way.

akamrmel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akamrmel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akamrmel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akamrmel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akamrmel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akamrmel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akamrmel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akamrmel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akamrmel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akamrmel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akamrmel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Someone once said to me "Your traps are on the backside of your body, so why not do behind the back"
    I like using the smith machine for these as it's easier to control and you can really focus on the squeeze.
    I don't think this is the type of exercise where you're loading up the bar with multiple plates.
    Weight 211lbs @ 7% bf

Bench 365 X 1
    Clean (hang clean to front squat) 315 X 1
    Jerk 290 X 1
    Front Squat 350 X 1
    Back Squat 405 X 2

jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Besides regular barbell or DB shrugs, I've found this seated version to be the best..helps if you put your feet on a 25 lb plate.

https://i.imgur.com/Ve7YdGN_d.jpg?ma...idelity=medium

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    A Lee Haney favorite and he had very thick traps.
    A couple of thoughts here and things that may make them so you feel them more.
    Most people will ago to heavy and make it impossible to get a full contraction and yes the butt can get in the way.
    Try them on a smith machine.
    You can position your body and get your butt out of the bar path and focus on the traps better.
    Another way i like is seated at the end of a bench with dumbbells or kettlebells,chin to the chest with a slight bent position of the upper body and pull from where you would use a barbell from behind the back.
    DB's will allow you to move the arms in a position that feels just right for you.
    You have to find the right path of the DB's that hit the traps the best.
    Ive even done these leaning back slightly like the BB behind the back style.

HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Well, for me the BTB shrug is an afwul exercise. With a barbell, it hits the butt.

And also, I am not a fan of the smith machine. Every exercise I tried on it feels weird.

Anyway, for hitting the middle traps, I do not see the logic here. The middle fibers mostly retracts scapula. So rowing exercises hit them already.

If you wanna hit them with the BTB shrugs, you should lean forward a little which is extremely awkward.

Shrugs are for the upper traps.

air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000) air2fakie is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The movement in lifting the barbell in the BTB shrug (and for butt avoidance) requires you to lift your shoulders up and back, which is why you hit the middle traps a little. It's not a "middle traps" exercise, it just hits them more than front shrugs, where your shoulders are rounded forward a little - both obviously target the upper traps. Do a few reps in your next workout and you'll see you're moving your scapula up and back - and I agree with you, it's totally awkward for me too. I don't do them and am not recommending them as a middle trap exercise.

Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Casca has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    The movement in lifting the barbell in the BTB shrug (and for butt avoidance) requires you to lift your shoulders up and back, which is why you hit the middle traps a little. It's not a "middle traps" exercise, it just hits them more than front shrugs, where your shoulders are rounded forward a little - both obviously target the upper traps. Do a few reps in your next workout and you'll see you're moving your scapula up and back - and I agree with you, it's totally awkward for me too. I don't do them and am not recommending them as a middle trap exercise.
    Maybe that's a good thing though, for shoulder health. Most shoulder impingement is because the shoulder/scapula rest too forward. Regular heavy barbell shrugs probably has your scapula protracted (forward) for the whole set.
    ☆☆☆USA �яєω☆☆☆

Not Casca Berserk. Casca The Eternal Warrior

No period....eternal

☆☆☆Perfectly Imperfect �яєω☆☆☆

☆☆☆What is the point of doing a bunch of reps if every rep you do is CRAP? �яєω☆☆☆

☆☆☆SuperStraight �яєω☆☆☆