MLowe1982 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MLowe1982 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MLowe1982 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MLowe1982 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MLowe1982 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MLowe1982 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MLowe1982 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MLowe1982 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MLowe1982 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MLowe1982 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MLowe1982 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Stalled weight loss?

Hey Everyone,
    I wanted to see what everyone thought about my current situation. I began a weight loss journey about a year and half a go. I started around 430 lbs and got down to 290 by eating between 1500-1600 calories a day. I measured and tracked everything I ate and life was good. After the holidays and a couple international trips i fell off the wagon and went back up to 321. I decided to start working out and eating better so about a month and half ago started the Strong lifts 5x5 program MWF, T/T I do battle ropes and cardio. My current calorie range is between 1500 - 1900 a day and I have gained noticeable definition throughout my body. The Problem I have is that I am currently at 325 lbs. I dont understand how I am gaining weight while eating in the calorie rang that I am. I wish I would have started using a tape to measure my body when I started but i dont think its possible for me to have gained 4lbs of muscle while not eating enough calories is it?

I am religious about weighing and tracking everything I eat and with my past weight loss feel I have a really good grip on that. A little about me I am 36 was originally at about zero activity before this (Desk job working from home) Are these just newb gains and I should expect to keep up at it and slowly start losing weight again? or should i start cutting 100 calories a day weekly until i see weight loss start back up? any thoughts or tips would be appreciated.

I have also considered fasting on Saturdays for the whole day to drop an additional 1500/1800 calories from my weekly total. Thoughts and tips on this would be appreciated also.

Thanks!
    Last edited by MLowe1982; 07-13-2019 at 10:49 AM.

BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MLowe1982 View Post
    Hey Everyone,
    I wanted to see what everyone thought about my current situation. I began a weight loss journey about a year and half a go. I started around 430 lbs and got down to 290 by eating between 1500-1600 calories a day. I measured and tracked everything I ate and life was good. After the holidays and a couple international trips i fell off the wagon and went back up to 321. I decided to start working out and eating better so about a month and half ago started the Strong lifts 5x5 program MWF, T/T I do battle ropes and cardio. My current calorie range is between 1500 - 1900 a day and I have gained noticeable definition throughout my body. The Problem I have is that I am currently at 325 lbs. I dont understand how I am gaining weight while eating in the calorie rang that I am. I wish I would have started using a tape to measure my body when I started but i dont think its possible for me to have gained 4lbs of muscle while not eating enough calories is it?

I am religious about weighing and tracking everything I eat and with my past weight loss feel I have a really good grip on that. A little about me I am 36 was originally at about zero activity before this (Desk job working from home) Are these just newb gains and I should expect to keep up at it and slowly start losing weight again? or should i start cutting 100 calories a day weekly until i see weight loss start back up? any thoughts or tips would be appreciated.

I have also considered fasting on Saturdays for the whole day to drop an additional 1500/1800 calories from my weekly total. Thoughts and tips on this would be appreciated also.

Thanks!
    How are you tracking?

List macros.

MLowe1982 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MLowe1982 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MLowe1982 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MLowe1982 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MLowe1982 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MLowe1982 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MLowe1982 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MLowe1982 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MLowe1982 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MLowe1982 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MLowe1982 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by BS57 View Post
    How are you tracking?

List macros.
    I am weighing out all my food and logging everything on my fitness pal so that I dont add anything up incorrectly.
    My Macros average about the following:

Carbs 102G
    Fat 36G
    Protein 90G

I know my Protein should be higher and my Carbs lower but I am having a hard time eating much more then about 100 grams of protein a day while staying in my calorie range. I could change my breakfest around to 3 eggs and a protein shake to keep it in the 350 - 400 range and that should cut my carbs by about 35G and raise my protein to about 118G but still a far cry from the approx 260G i should be getting daily.

I think my challenge also is when i started losing weight I was told not to worry about Micros and focus on Calories in and Calories out. I am sure I lost way more muscle mass then I could have if I would handled that correctly from the start.

BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I am weighing out all my food and logging everything on my fitness pal so that I dont add anything up incorrectly.
    My Macros average about the following:

Carbs 102G
    Fat 36G
    Protein 90G

I know my Protein should be higher and my Carbs lower but I am having a hard time eating much more then about 100 grams of protein a day while staying in my calorie range. I could change my breakfest around to 3 eggs and a protein shake to keep it in the 350 - 400 range and that should cut my carbs by about 35G and raise my protein to about 118G but still a far cry from the approx 260G i should be getting daily.

I think my challenge also is when i started losing weight I was told not to worry about Micros and focus on Calories in and Calories out. I am sure I lost way more muscle mass then I could have if I would handled that correctly from the start.
    Protein and fats should both be higher.

Read: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=173439001

Macros listed total under 1200 calories, so you're miscalculating somewhere. MFP is notorious for inaccurate nutritional values assigned to foods in their tracking. You need to verive it against food packaging labels. Still, none of it is 100% spot on.

Yes, addition of powder protein would be a good addition. The store here has a Signature Brand, which I like (I've not tried anything other than Vanilla) :
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/b...d=BBCOM5320019

Read the link on calculating your requirements, and stop listening to whoever told you not to worry about macros. Sounds like you're still lifting. Correct?

ETA: Bottom line, if you aren't losing, you aren't in a deficit.

So I do verify and enter in my own calories and don't go with the foods that are already in MFP but verify and enter off the packaging but I know there is still room for error. I will also start physically tracking in a written log my Micros and double check those to my calories I have listed to give me a better idea and double check my numbers(I dont track Micros and the ones provided above i had to go and look at the normal meal i have daily).

So reading where that post discusses Micros it suggest this:

Protein minimum: 0.7 gram per pound of bodyweight (or target/ideal weight in the obese).
    (for optimal body building purposes and during energy deficit higher intakes may provide additional benefits.)

Fat minimum: 0.4 gram per pound of bodyweight (or target/ideal weight in the obese).

So if my target weight is 240, should I use that to calculate all my numbers? Which would look like:

Protein: 168G (672 Calories)
    Fat: 96G (864 Calories)
    Carbs: 66G (264 Calories based on targeting 1800 calories a day)

I am also still lifting and progressing each session. I looked into the TDEE calculator listed on link you provided and its suggesting that Maintenance is 3100 and weight loss is 2600 for my size gender height and age(36 years old 6'4 325). I went with little to no exercise to just get a base line idea. if I go with 3 days a week working out (I lift MTF cardio T/TH) it puts me at 3450 Maintenance and 2760 for Weight loss. So here is some follow up questions I have:

If I am not losing but gaining with what I am currently eating, and we take into consideration I am off lets say 25 percent in tracking that would put my calorie intake at 1875 to 2250 daily. I would have to be off about 45-60 percent of my tracking based on the TDEE calculator to be in a surplus and I know that based on what I am eating quantity wise that seems near impossible (please dont think I am questioning that there isnt an issue somewhere, I am aware and just trying to wrap my head around it). When I started losing the weight from 430 lbs I eliminated all empty calories so I no longer drink anything but water and no sauces,dressings,dips minus a little mustard or hot sauce. So I guess my next question is that when I lost all the weight in the past could that have damaged my BMR due to what was most likely a larger then intended loss of muscle and would that account for the fact the difference in what the calculator is showing and what I am experiencing?

My last question is should I forget the calculator and try to figure out my TDEE myself? and if so what period of time should I track to get the most accurate information?

Thanks for the advice!
    Last edited by MLowe1982; 07-14-2019 at 08:20 AM.

So reading where that post discusses Micros it suggest this:

Protein minimum: 0.7 gram per pound of bodyweight (or target/ideal weight in the obese).
    (for optimal body building purposes and during energy deficit higher intakes may provide additional benefits.)

Fat minimum: 0.4 gram per pound of bodyweight (or target/ideal weight in the obese).

So if my target weight is 240, should I use that to calculate all my numbers? Which would look like:

Protein: 168G (672 Calories)
    Fat: 96G (864 Calories)
    Carbs: 66G (264 Calories based on targeting 1800 calories a day)
    Assuming your math is correct, then yes (working off target weight). Keep in mind, those are minimums.

I am also still lifting and progressing each session. I looked into the TDEE calculator listed on link you provided and its suggesting that Maintenance is 3100 and weight loss is 2600 for my size gender height and age(36 years old 6'4 325). I went with little to no exercise to just get a base line idea. if I go with 3 days a week working out (I lift MTF cardio T/TH) it puts me at 3450 Maintenance and 2760 for Weight loss.
    The 500 cal deficit would equate to roughly 1 pound loss/week. Because you have a bit more weight to lose, you could increase that a bit, but that would depend on your will power, don't make it too low so you find it unable to adhere to.

Just pick something closest to what you think is most accurate, as it's only a starting point. Be sure to familiarize yourself with tracking weight and adjusting calories accordingly, as well as allowing a couple weeks between for reduced/increased deficit to take effect.
    So here is some follow up questions I have:

If I am not losing but gaining with what I am currently eating, and we take into consideration I am off lets say 25 percent in tracking that would put my calorie intake at 1875 to 2250 daily. I would have to be off about 45-60 percent of my tracking based on the TDEE calculator to be in a surplus and I know that based on what I am eating quantity wise that seems near impossible (please dont think I am questioning that there isnt an issue somewhere, I am aware and just trying to wrap my head around it). When I started losing the weight from 430 lbs I eliminated all empty calories so I no longer drink anything but water and no sauces,dressings,dips minus a little mustard or hot sauce. So I guess my next question is that when I lost all the weight in the past could that have damaged my BMR due to what was most likely a larger then intended loss of muscle and would that account for the fact the difference in what the calculator is showing and what I am experiencing?
    Again, if you were in an actual sustained deficit, you would be losing weight. If you're "eating back" any exercise calories, don't. If you use some sort of fitbit gadget to adjust your caloric intake, stop. Focus in calories in/out, and meeting your macro/micro targets.

My last question is should I forget the calculator and try to figure out my TDEE myself? and if so what period of time should I track to get the most accurate information?

Thanks for the advice!
    Yes, as mentioned about, computer TDEEs are simply a suggested starting point. Time, and accurate weight tracking will determine caloric intake adjustments.

ETA: Cronometer is another tracking site. I prefer it over MFP.

Originally Posted by BS57 View Post
    Assuming your math is correct, then yes (working off target weight). Keep in mind, those are minimums.

The 500 cal deficit would equate to roughly 1 pound loss/week. Because you have a bit more weight to lose, you could increase that a bit, but that would depend on your will power, don't make it too low so you find it unable to adhere to.

Just pick something closest to what you think is most accurate, as it's only a starting point. Be sure to familiarize yourself with tracking weight and adjusting calories accordingly, as well as allowing a couple weeks between for reduced/increased deficit to take effect.

Again, if you were in an actual sustained deficit, you would be losing weight. If you're "eating back" any exercise calories, don't. If you use some sort of fitbit gadget to adjust your caloric intake, stop. Focus in calories in/out, and meeting your macro/micro targets.

Yes, as mentioned about, computer TDEEs are simply a suggested starting point. Time, and accurate weight tracking will determine caloric intake adjustments.

ETA: Cronometer is another tracking site. I prefer it over MFP.
    Thanks for the advice, I am going to change up a few things I am doing and see how that all goes. I am going to change my diet around some also as I know I can eat cleaner then I have been. Also thanks for the tip on Cronometer checking it out now.

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The daily calorie amount you say you're at should be resulting in a fairly rapid weight loss. Your WEEKLY calories are much higher than you think. You may be low cal for certain days however 1 or 2 high days can wipe out a deficit.

Fatloss is a product of a consistent calorie deficit over time.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough