Becks01 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How many exercises on one workout day?

Hello everyone,

I have looked at various workout plans online and it seems that they normally contain no more than around 7 exercises per day (at least for beginners).
    And they focus mainly on compound exercises.

But what if I want to integrate more isolation exercises? I want to focus more on abs and glutes/legs specifically. Is it too much if I just add more exercises to a workout plan? I've heard many people do abs on off days but I wanna do HIIT and cardio on my off days. My plan is to do 4 days strength training.

So how should I do it? Does the number even matter?

And by the way, I just wanted to say thanks for the advice I've gotten so far in the short while I've been on here. I'm such a newb but this community is really nice

Kpissoutbye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kpissoutbye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kpissoutbye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kpissoutbye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kpissoutbye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kpissoutbye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kpissoutbye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kpissoutbye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kpissoutbye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kpissoutbye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kpissoutbye is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The number of exercises does not matter. What matters is how much stimulus (and the damage that comes with it) you apply to each muscle. The problem that can arise when you start adding too many additional exercises, without downregulating the amount of work you do on the other exercises is that you are unable to recover properly, especially if you're training 4x/week including some compound exercises. That is also why the general advice for beginners is to not tinker with the beginner workout plans. As for glute gains, you get a long ways with squats and some hip hinge movement (i.e deadlifts, sumo deadlift, romanian deadlift, glute bridges, glute-ham raises etc.). Out of curiousity, what workout programs have you looked at?

Well I've looked at many but I am following some of these exercises here now since I only have dumbells at the moment to work with.

Can't post a proper link yet so:
    muscleandstrength.
    com/workouts/dumbbell-only-upper-lower-workout-routine

I wanted to integrate isolation exercises for glutes because I have hip dips or rather butt dips and I'm not sure squats target the area well enough to reduce the appearance.

air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Becks01 View Post
    Well I've looked at many but I am following some of these exercises here now since I only have dumbells at the moment to work with.

Can't post a proper link yet so:
    muscleandstrength.
    com/workouts/dumbbell-only-upper-lower-workout-routine

I wanted to integrate isolation exercises for glutes because I have hip dips or rather butt dips and I'm not sure squats target the area well enough to reduce the appearance.
    How long have you been following that workout? I would recommend doing the whole workout program instead of just some of the exercises, give it a few months, see what the results are and evaluate what you need then. Some expert with a bunch of fitness certifications probably spent a lot of brain power coming up with that full body routine for beginners. It looks pretty good for a dumbbells only routine.

Plus there's a lot of exercises in that program that do hit your glutes. Hip thrusts are one of the best glute isolators you can do. Deadlifts and split squats will hammer them pretty good too. The rear lunges, goblet squats, and plie squats will also hit them a little bit.

Maybe try the entire program a few months and see - then add some glute isolation movements if necessary. I'm no hip or butt dip expert, but my guess is you could add in some non-resistance movements without it going off the rails (variations of leg lifts, butt/body lifts, directional lunges).

Kpissoutbye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kpissoutbye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kpissoutbye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kpissoutbye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kpissoutbye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kpissoutbye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kpissoutbye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kpissoutbye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kpissoutbye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kpissoutbye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kpissoutbye is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    That program has lots of squats and hip hinge movements that all target your glutes. It even includes glute guy expert #1 Bret Contreras' favorite glute exercise, the hip thrust. Try to always contract your glutes as much as possible when you do these exercises. You don't need more exercises, you just need to train with intensity. Don't just cruise through the workouts, but try hard to challenge the muscles. And give it time. Also, I'm not sure what hip dips or butt dips are, but a good butt requires muscle mass behind it to get a good shape.

Hip dips are what you call the indentations between the hip bone and the thigh area. Also called violin hips because of the shape. I do feel the exercises in my glutes just not in the outer sides where the dents are most prominent. Thats why I thought I needed something to specifically target the area of the outer and upper glutes.

air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) air2fakie is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Adding 2-3 sets of isolation movements for glutes on the lower body days probably won’t derail the routine. But if you start adding more you should consider taking something out. The exercises in there are pretty solid though.

Alright, thanks.
    Can you also suggest something for abs?
    I've come across so many abs exercises but since my schedule is already packed I would like to have just a few with which I can succesfully target upper/lower abs and obligues.

Abs: Crunches with bent legs, palms on knees.
    Obliques: Lie on your back with bent legs, just like you're about to do a regular crunch. Crunch up slightly. From that position touch your right hand to your left foot, and then your left hand to your right foot, back and forth.

As with any exercise, try to really contract the area that you want to target. To get visible abs however, it's all about body fat. We all have abdominal muscles, but most of us have them covered in fat.

I had never heard about "hip dips" until now. Nor have I ever thought about that being a problem, so maybe you shouldn't worry too much about it either. I guarantee you, if you put some muscle on, and get a little leaner, you're good to go. Don't go overboard with cutting body fat though. Some amount of body fat looks better and healthier, imo.

Agree that abs are more about cutting fat (which usually means dieting and more cardio) than exercise. And if you’re trying to put on muscle, getting a six pack can be difficult.

For abs, most planks work well too. For obliques, in addition to bicycle crunches, most side plank variations work and you can do those “sit up and lean back holding a ball and twist from side to side” things.

Not sure how much any of this or the glute work helps hip dips which I think are partly genetic. I can tell you when guys are in a situation where they encounter hip dips they don’t given them a second thought.

No help for this one.... Squid24's Avatar
    Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm doing a UL/PPL and all my days have 6 or 7 exercises...I went from 1.5 hr workouts to 45 min...time to add more sets...not exercises...lol
    My Log - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170367151&page=50

"Muff divers local #69.....no muff too tough....we dive at five"

Fierce 5 Programs ->https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1266579671#post1266579671

AnonDC is not very well liked. (-100) AnonDC is not very well liked. (-100) AnonDC is not very well liked. (-100) AnonDC is not very well liked. (-100) AnonDC is not very well liked. (-100) AnonDC is not very well liked. (-100) AnonDC is not very well liked. (-100) AnonDC is not very well liked. (-100) AnonDC is not very well liked. (-100) AnonDC is not very well liked. (-100) AnonDC is not very well liked. (-100)
    I do about 3-5 exercises a day, depending on what I need to work on more.