allandr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Stretching trainer?

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, I am not a PT, but have a question for all the PTs.

I am approaching 40 and have been fairly inactive for a while. I was always active up through my 20s and have played organized sports my whole life, but my 30s hit along with a desk job and kids and I got out of shape, fat and old. On top of it, I have had a lot of lower back and hip pain. After numerous years of different doctors and psychical therapy sessions, I have come to the conclusion, that most likely the majority of my problems are caused by fitness, flexibility, and mobility. Are there personal trainers who will assist in stretching and mobility sessions? I was always disappointed and eventually stopped going to my physical therapy sessions because I felt that for the first session or two they were great, showed me stretches, actually actively participated in the stretches with me, even helping to position my body. But by the 3rd or 4th visit, they would just give me the list of exercises and walk away only to check on me every 10 min or so.

Is it common to find a personal trainer who will actively spend 30 min with me helping me stretch? Not just showing me a stretch, and watch me do it, but help and participate? Help me get into the positions, or push/pull various body parts vice just me using a rope/towel to stretch?

Does this make sense? I would gladly pay someone at my gym for a 30-60 min session once or twice a week to see if things improve, but don't know how to go about finding one.

Thanks

Registered User yuliangolodnykh's Avatar
    yuliangolodnykh is on a distinguished road. (+10) yuliangolodnykh is on a distinguished road. (+10) yuliangolodnykh is on a distinguished road. (+10) yuliangolodnykh is on a distinguished road. (+10) yuliangolodnykh is on a distinguished road. (+10) yuliangolodnykh is on a distinguished road. (+10) yuliangolodnykh is on a distinguished road. (+10) yuliangolodnykh is on a distinguished road. (+10) yuliangolodnykh is on a distinguished road. (+10) yuliangolodnykh is on a distinguished road. (+10) yuliangolodnykh is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you are paying someone, they will help you stretch. But IMO that may be a waste of money. I'd recommend pulling up a youtube video and stretching in from a mirror.

Do you have a standing desk at work? If not, I would look into getting one. I had problems with my back and after getting a standing desk and actively stretching every couple of hours it really helps. Also, look into getting some ergonomic computer equipment.