Registered User SamGoesToTheGym's Avatar
    SamGoesToTheGym is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Hello. I am Sam. I started going to gym finally, I work as a programmer with no time

Hello. I am Sam.

I started going to gym finally, I work as a programmer with no time to exercise and too much stress, life was taking it's toll on me.

Anyway, no more sob stories. I'm glad I joined and I have a question. First here is my current situation.

I am 32

Weight: 68.5 kg / 151 lbs

Height: 173 cm / 5.6"

Waist Circumference: 87 cm / 34"

Neck Circumference: 37 cm / 14.5"

I've included the waist & neck measurement because I read it is important to know the body fat percentage.

You can see my front and side image: imgur(dot)com/a/BD2S9Zp Sorry if the images are NSFW (bare chest but no private parts)

Sorry for the link, the site won't let me add links but I think it is important to include the pictures, as I am really looking to get the best advice related to my situation

Question Time:

I took the time to learn from online youtube videos and fitness guides about the absolute best way to lose weight and build muscle at the same time, but there is too much info out there, it's hard to believe which one is the truth and specially for the question I have; which is: What is the best way for me (aside from nutrition) to lose the belly fat and get jacked

I understand about how important nutrition is, calorie intake, carbs ... so my question specifically is:

Should I lift weight, which one and how many reps, how many days per week and which type of cardio is good for me.

Thanks all.

Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Welcome! You seem to have the brains to figure things out, so i guess it will be simple once you done the reading. The hard part is sticking to it and being patient.

Obviously, ignore the youtube "info" for now... too much random crap there to even bother.

You need to read through the sticky threads on fat loss and nutrition. The part on calculating TDEE/Macros is a good place to start. Don't look past the basics is another.

Once you're done there and got a grasp of things... check out the workout programs section, read up and find a good beginner program that suits you.

Save the questions for later:-)
    ~ Feel free to PM me if you have any questions ~

" As mind ~ as matter "

LadyBekah will become famous soon enough. (+50) LadyBekah will become famous soon enough. (+50) LadyBekah will become famous soon enough. (+50) LadyBekah will become famous soon enough. (+50) LadyBekah will become famous soon enough. (+50) LadyBekah will become famous soon enough. (+50) LadyBekah will become famous soon enough. (+50) LadyBekah will become famous soon enough. (+50) LadyBekah will become famous soon enough. (+50) LadyBekah will become famous soon enough. (+50) LadyBekah will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey Sam,

Obviously, I second Tucane's suggestion, but I'd also like to mention that it's (unfortunately) impossible to actually target weight loss in a specific area of the body. You can do 1000000 crunches a day, but the layer of fat on top of it will keep hiding those rock hard abs until you lose weight - and again, you can't target specific places of the body to lose weight in - or literally EVERYONE would not have any sort of belly.

It's definitely tricky to lose weight while gaining muscle (I'm currently doing the StrongLifts 5x5 program while on a calorie deficit), but it IS doable. If you're looking to gain strength, I know a lot of people suggest Strong Lifts 5x5 or Fierce 5 for beginners. Those could be worth looking in to. Using MyFitnessPal to count calories will also be crucial in your success.

Anyway, good luck on your journey and check out the two programs I've mentioned above.

Registered User SamGoesToTheGym's Avatar
    SamGoesToTheGym is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by LadyBekah View Post
    Hey Sam,

Obviously, I second Tucane's suggestion, but I'd also like to mention that it's (unfortunately) impossible to actually target weight loss in a specific area of the body. You can do 1000000 crunches a day, but the layer of fat on top of it will keep hiding those rock hard abs until you lose weight - and again, you can't target specific places of the body to lose weight in - or literally EVERYONE would not have any sort of belly.

It's definitely tricky to lose weight while gaining muscle (I'm currently doing the StrongLifts 5x5 program while on a calorie deficit), but it IS doable. If you're looking to gain strength, I know a lot of people suggest Strong Lifts 5x5 or Fierce 5 for beginners. Those could be worth looking in to. Using MyFitnessPal to count calories will also be crucial in your success.

Anyway, good luck on your journey and check out the two programs I've mentioned above.
    Thanks LadyBekah

One issue I have is the online calculators that show how much calorie intake I need are suggesting I take way way more than the calories I usually take. Meaning I would have to eat a lot more than I do now, and when I see the cardio and weight lifts I do, I am 100% I will be left with more calories at the end of the day, than I do without working out at all.

Does this sound normal to you or anyone?

MSKFAHIM is just really nice. (+1000) MSKFAHIM is just really nice. (+1000) MSKFAHIM is just really nice. (+1000) MSKFAHIM is just really nice. (+1000) MSKFAHIM is just really nice. (+1000) MSKFAHIM is just really nice. (+1000) MSKFAHIM is just really nice. (+1000) MSKFAHIM is just really nice. (+1000) MSKFAHIM is just really nice. (+1000) MSKFAHIM is just really nice. (+1000) MSKFAHIM is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by SamGoesToTheGym View Post
    Thanks LadyBekah

One issue I have is the online calculators that show how much calorie intake I need are suggesting I take way way more than the calories I usually take. Meaning I would have to eat a lot more than I do now, and when I see the cardio and weight lifts I do, I am 100% I will be left with more calories at the end of the day, than I do without working out at all.

Does this sound normal to you or anyone?
    Hey Sam!

You need to understand something fundamental about these calculators. They are all rough approximations meant to guide you to the real number. They don't spit out actual personalised numbers. As such, the best thing to do is to use a more experimental approach. A simplified example:

1. Input all your properly measured/recorded data into MFP or any other online calculator.
    2. Record your bodyweight properly on day 1.
    3. Use the number that MFP (MyFitnessPal) gives you for 7 days. Just eat as much as it suggests.
    4. After that 7 day trial period, weigh yourself again.

At that point, if you see you are losing weight, you know that you are eating at a deficit. If nothing changes, then you know you are around your maintenance. If however you end up gaining weight, you are likely over eating.

Therefore, use that ACTUAL and REAL WORLD measurement of your weight to tweak your calorie target. For example, if you see that you just lost 0.1 lbs in that week, maybe drop your calorie intake by a few hundred calories for the next week.

The thing is, from your pictures, you don't see like you have enough fat to do some serious kind of a "cut". Let me post your pics on here to make life easier for everyone:

To me, it looks like you'd be totally fine lifting while on a slight deficit.
    Pregnant No More! : https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177174291