colonelcross is a name known to all. (+5000) colonelcross is a name known to all. (+5000) colonelcross is a name known to all. (+5000) colonelcross is a name known to all. (+5000) colonelcross is a name known to all. (+5000) colonelcross is a name known to all. (+5000) colonelcross is a name known to all. (+5000) colonelcross is a name known to all. (+5000) colonelcross is a name known to all. (+5000) colonelcross is a name known to all. (+5000) colonelcross is a name known to all. (+5000)

First Real Job Post Military

Sup boyos, just started working for a massive telecommunications company a few weeks back. The position I got is essentially for new grads but I have a master of science and had 7 years as an officer in the Army. I think I negotiated pretty well for the position, but who knows. My question is, how do I figure out what the upward/lateral mobility of my position is? What about raises or promotions? I tried searching HR docs and what not, but they must be in flux right now or something because all of the links that may yield results are broken. The military was all laid out in front of you and you had mentors help if you had questions. Where do you find this stuff in the corporate world? I don't want to ask my boss because it is so early, but in my mind I'm not steering my career properly if I don't know any of these things. MISC, wut do?
    "A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood" - General George S. Patton

squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Can only add generic advice here but have been working in the corporate sector for 8yrs.

Lateral movement will depend on how much depth in your department or closley related departments which would seem like a fair bit for a bit telco. You will be able to determine this fairly quick when you are on the ground there.

Vertical movement will typically be your manager's job within your department or in another department, if you are putting your hand up for extra responsibility, it will usually put you top of mind for these promotions.

General advice dictates you should always say yes when offered a new position, this instills confidence in the management circles who ultimately make the call for your progress.

Asking your manager about lateral/vertical movement is a very typical question covered in the interview process, it is not taboo to have this discussion with your direct manager.

Pay increases and bonus vary from company to company, they are usually done before the end of the financial year, for a big company the average increase is typically 3-4% with flexibility for 6-7% for high performers.

Asking your manager about how 'performance reviews' are conducted and 'performance bonus structures' are normal topics you can clear up without any taboo.

All the best mate, it is a big change and will require a fair bit of adjustment, but i'm confident you will adapt and overcome.

colonelcross is a name known to all. (+5000) colonelcross is a name known to all. (+5000) colonelcross is a name known to all. (+5000) colonelcross is a name known to all. (+5000) colonelcross is a name known to all. (+5000) colonelcross is a name known to all. (+5000) colonelcross is a name known to all. (+5000) colonelcross is a name known to all. (+5000) colonelcross is a name known to all. (+5000) colonelcross is a name known to all. (+5000) colonelcross is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hey thanks, that was some good info.

I had somewhat of what I'd call an "initial counseling" but we didn't get to cover everything I'd have liked due to time, hence all these questions. I had filled out my performance OBJs, which, apparently, my boss is supposed to fill out, so she laughed at that. Hopefully it at least saves her some time, who knows. Then we went over professional development guidelines and 2 training courses/white papers/etc are required per year but I had 43 selected. I didn't know she'd have access to see what I looked up and selected so idk what she thought about all that, haha. She laughed a little since usually people just do the bare minimum.
    "A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood" - General George S. Patton

Jhuth13 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jhuth13 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jhuth13 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jhuth13 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jhuth13 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jhuth13 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jhuth13 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jhuth13 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jhuth13 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jhuth13 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jhuth13 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Make yourself valuable, make connections across the organization and get involved in cross-functional projects. Mobility isnt limited by the position, its determined by how how deep/broad you can expand your capabilities and your ability to deliver results. Honestly, you make your own career path - if you're interested in X role, start developing the skills for it and make some connections in that area.

Bottom line, if you do good work and have a reputation for getting chit done, doors will open (as long as the company itself has a culture of internal mobility - if you never see anyone moving around, get some experience and look elsewhere).