Manzun is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Construction Meal Plan

Hello I need some help and or advice. Ive been working as a metal framer and when I started I was 182lbs. roughly 17-18%bf that was 4 months ago.
    I weighed myself yesterday and am showing at 176lbs with 22%bf.
    Im using 2 different bf scales I bought from amazon so i know the numbers aren't completely accurate but I feel physically smaller and a weaker.
    I always weigh myself first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.
    My goal is to lose around 1lb of bf per week and ultimately to lean down and then clean bulk back up after I get down to about 14-15%bf.

I have a feeling I'm not consuming enough calories and I'm not sure where to add them in because I'm scared its going to be counterproductive to up my carbs.
    Also I tend to up my calories sometimes on Saturday to about 3500 because I usually wake up starving. Though I feel guilty because I get most of my rest on Saturdays.
    On weekdays Im keeping calories at around 2500cal/day
    180g protein
    90g fat
    I'm keeping carbs at around 240g (I say around because it can fluctuate 20-30g up or down based on how hungry I am)

I work 6am-2pm and have 1 break at 10am. I really don't have time to sneak meals in and was also thinking about buying a bcaa drink to add to my lunch which is usually not too big.

For breakfast i have around
    60-70g carbs
    30g protein
    20g fat

for lunch i have
    70g carbs
    20-30g protein
    14g fat
    The rest of my calories i consume after work and or before bed.
    I work out at around 5-6pm usually and do Vitargo with a whey protein shake afterwards.
    I try to keep away from carbs after 7pm but occasionally Ill have some greek yogurt or eat nuts before bed.
    I sweat like a pig at work but I'm not sure exactly how many calories I burn a day.
    Ive tested my metabo while not working and I need 2300cal maintenance.
    Im pretty good about putting on good weight or losing bf when I'm not working construction. I always have trouble when going back to work though. I can never figure it out.
    What changes can I make to start dropping bf instead of muscle?

Also I'm 28 years old. Not sure why but my profile says I'm 49.
    Last edited by Manzun; 06-30-2019 at 02:25 PM.

Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    For starters you posted this in the nutrition log section. You would get more responses in the main nutrition section where a thread like this belongs.

Originally Posted by Manzun View Post
    Hello I need some help and or advice. Ive been working as a metal framer and when I started I was 182lbs. roughly 17-18%bf that was 4 months ago.
    I weighed myself yesterday and am showing at 176lbs with 22%bf.
    Im using 2 different bf scales I bought from amazon so i know the numbers aren't completely accurate but I feel physically smaller and a weaker.
    Those scales can easily be off by 5% or more. So if it says 22% you could easily be anywhere between 17% and 27%.

I always weigh myself first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.
    Good. Do that daily and calculate a 7 day rolling average.

My goal is to lose around 1lb of bf per week and ultimately to lean down and then clean bulk back up after I get down to about 14-15%bf.
    Many will want to get leaner than 14-15% prior to bulking but lots of people misestimate bodyfat %. Aiming to lose 1 pound per week is fine.

I have a feeling I'm not consuming enough calories and I'm not sure where to add them in because I'm scared its going to be counterproductive to up my carbs.
    What the body cares about is total calories. Getting in enough protein helps you retain or even build lean body mass while you lose fat. Getting in enough fat supports hormonal production (ie, testosterone) help retain or gain lean body mass while losing fat. The amount of carbs you get in is irrelevant. Some people will do better with more, some will do better with less. Whatever allows you to have the best possible workouts is probably ideal.

Also I tend to up my calories sometimes on Saturday to about 3500 because I usually wake up starving. Though I feel guilty because I get most of my rest on Saturdays.
    If you are only losing 1 pound of fat weekly and following a high protein, high fiber diet then you should not be starving most likely. Any feeling of guilt is a red flag for the development of disordered eating. Consider seeing a therapist if you feel this is an issue. Better to tackle that now then to develop an eating disorder later on.

On weekdays Im keeping calories at around 2500cal/day
    180g protein
    90g fat
    I'm keeping carbs at around 240g (I say around because it can fluctuate 20-30g up or down based on how hungry I am)
    Perhaps if you bumped up calories to 2600-2700 you wouldn't feel a need to overeat on Saturday. However, if doing 2500 on weekdays and 3500 on weekends allows you to lose 1 pound of fat weekly this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I work 6am-2pm and have 1 break at 10am. I really don't have time to sneak meals in and was also thinking about buying a bcaa drink to add to my lunch which is usually not too big.
    BCAAs have been shown to be completely useless. If you get in 180g protein daily then additional supplemental protein will not be helpful.

For breakfast i have around
    60-70g carbs
    30g protein
    20g fat

for lunch i have
    70g carbs
    20-30g protein
    14g fat
    The rest of my calories i consume after work and or before bed.
    Seems like you spread protein out throughout the day. That's generally considered a good thing.

I work out at around 5-6pm usually and do Vitargo with a whey protein shake afterwards.
    I have no idea what Vitargo is but most supplements are useless.

I try to keep away from carbs after 7pm but occasionally Ill have some greek yogurt or eat nuts before bed.
    There is nothing wrong with carbs after 7pm. Greek yogurt and nuts don't even have many carbs. Perhaps if you do eat a bit more before sleeping you won't wake up starving.

I sweat like a pig at work but I'm not sure exactly how many calories I burn a day.
    Sweating burns very few calories. Consider investing in air conditioning.

Ive tested my metabo while not working and I need 2300cal maintenance.
    You've been following a diet plan where you're getting 2500 kcal on weekdays, 3500 kcal on Saturday, and some number of calories on Sunday (you didn't say how much above). If you've been losing 1 pound a week then you are eating the correct amount of calories. If you have been losing less than that you need to eat fewer calories.

Im pretty good about putting on good weight or losing bf when I'm not working construction. I always have trouble when going back to work though. I can never figure it out.
    What changes can I make to start dropping bf instead of muscle?
    You didn't mention sleep at all. Sleeping well is very important. You also didn't mention your workout routine. If it is not a decent routine that will hinder your results for sure.

Also I'm 28 years old. Not sure why but my profile says I'm 49.
    It's a bug with the forum.

Please read the stickies in the main nutrition section for general information.