JoeHewitt is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Should I Keep Deadlifting

I’m 17 and I am currently using a PPLR prorgram. At the moment I do deadlifts on both pull days but I am not sure whether I should continue doing them as I feel like these may be making me very fatigued leading to my other lifts (squat and bench) getting weaker because of this but just wanted your thoughts on if I should keep them in the program or take them out and focus more on pull ups and barbell Rows.

MtMoriah is not very helpful. (-500) MtMoriah is not very helpful. (-500) MtMoriah is not very helpful. (-500) MtMoriah is not very helpful. (-500) MtMoriah is not very helpful. (-500) MtMoriah is not very helpful. (-500) MtMoriah is not very helpful. (-500) MtMoriah is not very helpful. (-500) MtMoriah is not very helpful. (-500) MtMoriah is not very helpful. (-500) MtMoriah is not very helpful. (-500)
    Dead lifting is one of the 5 great weight exercises. One set of 5 lifts 3x per week (every other day) will be of great value for your increase in overall strength.
    Robert Rogers
    Live Free or Die

I have read about building a big back without deadlifts is still possible but I’m just not sure whether I should drop them as they really fatigue me making me feel weak on the next work out for example when I do squats next I won’t be hitting the targeted weight and reps which should normally be achievable

LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by JoeHewitt View Post
    I have read about building a big back without deadlifts is still possible but I’m just not sure whether I should drop them as they really fatigue me making me feel weak on the next work out for example when I do squats next I won’t be hitting the targeted weight and reps which should normally be achievable
    In weighing these kind of tradeoffs, recovery is most important. I don't know enough about you or your specific program to responsibly advise a specific course of action. So I simply suggest seeing if there are recovery elements that can be improved (including possibly a bit more sleep). If not, then you can still do very well if you elect to drop it for a time and maybe see about cycling it back in at a later date. It is a terrific exercise but not essential unless training specifically or primarily for strength.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElrondHubbard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I’m 17 and I am currently using a PPLR prorgram. At the moment I do deadlifts on both pull days but I am not sure whether I should continue doing them as I feel like these may be making me very fatigued leading to my other lifts (squat and bench) getting weaker because of this but just wanted your thoughts on if I should keep them in the program or take them out and focus more on pull ups and barbell Rows.
    Deadlifts can absolutely be draining, but that doesn't make them any less important. The best way to keep them from interfering with other exercises is simply to make them the last major lift in your session. Do your squats before the deadlifts.
    I'm out, standing in my field.

64 and still a newbie.

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Lots of people are going to have lots of opinions. Some love doing deadlifts and think they are awesome. Some hate doing them...but still think they are awesome. Some hate doing them and think they are useless. Some think they are awesome but are too lazy to do them.

When I was lifting in the 80s only powerlifters were deadlifting. I never did one then and grew just fine. When I returned to lifting in my 40s I did do deadlifts...and grew just fine. Now I do hex deadlifts when I decide to program them in, which isn’t all that often anymore.

To me it’s just another exercise...great for certain goals, but certainly not necessary for others. Nice if it fits in with your programming...but if it doesn’t, who cares? I mean it’s your body, your routine, your results. If you are working all the muscles in a balanced intelligent way, and your routine is designed for your goals, there is no law you need to deadlift.
    My 8 year progress video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wg3BXudgIjg

philibusters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) philibusters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) philibusters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) philibusters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) philibusters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) philibusters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) philibusters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) philibusters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) philibusters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) philibusters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) philibusters has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would do deadlifts. They hit large amount of muscle. If they are really tiring you out just lift them at a lighter weight. If you work them at 65% to 80% of your 1 rep max at moderate volume they should not be that fatiguing, especially given that you are 17 years old and therefore going to recovery quicker from workouts than older people.

LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by grubman View Post
    To me it’s just another exercise...great for certain goals, but certainly not necessary for others. Nice if it fits in with your programming...but if it doesn’t, who cares? I mean it’s your body, your routine, your results. If you are working all the muscles in a balanced intelligent way, and your routine is designed for your goals, there is no law you need to deadlift.
    I'll 2nd this ^^^

It's a great exercise but not indispensable. No exercise is indispensable, not even... and this might get me called out for heresy but, here goes... not even the squat (though, it is without doubt the king of lower body movements).
    OP, regarding your question of can you develop a great back without it: yes, of course you can. If you do bent rows &/or t-bar rows &/or rack pulls & similar you can get all the back thickness you aspire to if that is the course you choose. (But for the record, I still say first look into improving elements of your recovery to see if you can tweak things to bounce back quicker and handle it; but, if not, then it's not going to sabotage you if you drop it.)

Crazee_786 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Crazee_786 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Crazee_786 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Crazee_786 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Crazee_786 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Crazee_786 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Crazee_786 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Crazee_786 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Crazee_786 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Crazee_786 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Crazee_786 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Lifting weights in its raw form at the grass roots level is ALL about the deadlift.

The deadlift itself defines lifting weights - it literally is lifting a weight off the floor. Squat racks werent even made until recently so squats didnt even exist, and now all of a sudden they are apparently the holy grail of lifting.

The only thing that could ever compare to the deadlift is the powerclean
    Kill me. You must. For I will not stop.

DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    deadlifting once a week is fine.

In it for the gainz RestoringTally's Avatar
    RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Specifically, which program are you running? Is it a formal program or one of your own invention? How long have you been on it? What are your current weights? How many reps and sets? Are you doing one set of 5 reps for DLs?

It is difficult to say if you should be deadlifting without knowing the specifics of your program and where you are in your training.
    O─O York Barbell Crew #53 O─O
    ─█────█─ Ivanko Barbell Crew #63 ─█────█─
    ─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
    My goal is to have so much equipment that I don't have room to workout. I am almost there. :)
    ──────────────────────────────────-───────────────────────
    1st Meet Nov 2014 Push-Pull: 225 - 325 @ 194 Masters 59

So I train 3 days on 1 day off (Legs Push Pull Rest) on a program I made my self based off the 531 program and I’ll do all my compound lifts followed by accessory Hypertrophy work after. My 1RM lifts atm are bench 100kg, squat 130kg and deadlift 155kg. When I do deadlifts I would do either 5,3 or a 1RM at 90% of my real 1RM and up it every week of the program (for example the next week it will be based off of 95% of 1RM). After doing these for deadlifts I will either do a 3x8, 3x6 or 3x3 depending on what 531 reps I done before for example after the 5 rep max I’ll do the 3x8 and after 1RM I’ll do 3x3.

Edit: I also do Romanian deadlifts 1x per week on the leg workout with the reps and sets being a 3x8.

KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000) KidFreeze is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yes, keep deadlifting.

supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) supramax is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    So I train 3 days on 1 day off (Legs Push Pull Rest) on a program I made my self based off the 531 program and I’ll do all my compound lifts followed by accessory Hypertrophy work after. My 1RM lifts atm are bench 100kg, squat 130kg and deadlift 155kg. When I do deadlifts I would do either 5,3 or a 1RM at 90% of my real 1RM and up it every week of the program (for example the next week it will be based off of 95% of 1RM). After doing these for deadlifts I will either do a 3x8, 3x6 or 3x3 depending on what 531 reps I done before for example after the 5 rep max I’ll do the 3x8 and after 1RM I’ll do 3x3.

Edit: I also do Romanian deadlifts 1x per week on the leg workout with the reps and sets being a 3x8.
    I regularly, but not always (due to circumstance) do 3 sets of 14 different exercises in 3 rep ranges over a 3 day period. Then, I do it again. Then, I take a day off. The exception is the deadlift, which I only do once in those 6 days. It's too important an exercise to not do, but I think you're overdoing it. 3 sets of RDLs increasing in weight and two sets of the deadlift increasing in weight as a warm up to 1 set of 5 @ 90% of your 1RM is plenty, IMHO.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

It's easy to not be afraid of tigers when you're sitting in your living room watching a television program about tigers. When you're in the jungle where the tigers are, it's quite a different story.

Damnentia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Damnentia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Damnentia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Damnentia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Damnentia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Damnentia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Damnentia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Damnentia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Damnentia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Damnentia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Damnentia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Crazee_786 View Post
    Lifting weights in its raw form at the grass roots level is ALL about the deadlift.

The deadlift itself defines lifting weights - it literally is lifting a weight off the floor. Squat racks werent even made until recently so squats didnt even exist, and now all of a sudden they are apparently the holy grail of lifting.

The only thing that could ever compare to the deadlift is the powerclean
    I'm not sure what you are even trying to say... OP talks training efficiency for (I suppose?) muscle growth; You talk legends...

In it for the gainz RestoringTally's Avatar
    RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

I am not a fan of improvised workouts. I really think you would do better following a proven program. It seems you subscribe to the more is better philosophy, which does not typically work because it does not allow for enough recovery time.

You are doing too much volume with not enough recovery time. 5-3-1 is 3 to 4 workouts a week. Working out more days than that, you are not giving your body enough time to recover. Which explains why you say you are "very fatigued."

You are doing too much with deadlifts. I read this as you are doing 5-3-1 and then doing 24, 18, or 9 more total reps of deadlifts? If so, that is way too much volume for deadlifts, particularly if you are doing them every 4 days. Then adding RDL on top of the DL workout, you are doing too much without giving your body time for recover.
    O─O York Barbell Crew #53 O─O
    ─█────█─ Ivanko Barbell Crew #63 ─█────█─
    ─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
    My goal is to have so much equipment that I don't have room to workout. I am almost there. :)
    ──────────────────────────────────-───────────────────────
    1st Meet Nov 2014 Push-Pull: 225 - 325 @ 194 Masters 59