Thread: Best home gyms

bobgoblin1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobgoblin1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobgoblin1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobgoblin1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobgoblin1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobgoblin1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobgoblin1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobgoblin1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobgoblin1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobgoblin1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobgoblin1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Best home gyms

I want to purchase a new home gym for my house. What are your opinions on the best ones out there? I would want the weights to be stackable. I know most gyms come with 150 lbs but I need to be able to also increase that to say 200 or so.

rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000)
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #4 []---[]
    []---[] Rogue Barbell Club #9 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #76 []---[]

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    my dude don't buy a machine (yet) start with free weights and a power rack
    Domicron's Basement Gym and Fun House
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1451901723&viewfull=1#post1451901723

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #60

JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Domicron View Post
    my dude don't buy a machine (yet) start with free weights and a power rack
    Well hold on, maybe he has a reason for wanting a machine.

Bobgoblin,
    What do you want the machine for, as in goals...
    Also, what exercises do you want to do with it and what kind of space do you have for it?
    The best deals are always on Craigslist or ******** Marketplace.

dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by JustTheDad View Post
    Yeah. Dont buy a new all-in-one gym. Youll find plenty used for like 20-50% the original cost.. And theres a reason for that

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by dagdafitness View Post
    Yeah. Dont buy a new all-in-one gym. Youll find plenty used for like 20-50% the original cost.. And theres a reason for that
    I see them free at least twice a month within a 2h drive from me. I flip equipment regularly and even I don't want to deal with them. :P

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by JustTheDad View Post
    Well hold on, maybe he has a reason for wanting a machine.

Bobgoblin,
    What do you want the machine for, as in goals...
    Also, what exercises do you want to do with it and what kind of space do you have for it?
    The language used by the OP mentions home gym, then stackable weights, then 150 pounds.

the guy is brand new and there's no reason to buy any all-in-one home gym.

If he had a gym, or knew what he was doing it'd be a different story.
    Domicron's Basement Gym and Fun House
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1451901723&viewfull=1#post1451901723

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #60

ICEMAN453 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I recommend the Tower 200.

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    1) What is your budget?
    2) In my opinion, most home leverage gyms are worthless. The leverage, angle, and ROM always seems off, so they feel to me like they are going to cause tendonitis long term. They also often don't have enough resistance to gain muscle.
    3) A Functional Trainer might be a good substitute for a leverage gym for you if you have the budget for it.
    4) Free weights are really the best option for the buyer's money and time for gaining overall strength and muscle and that's why everyone advocates for them.

Example of free weight setups:
    Really minimalist: Adjustable Dumbbells, flat utility bench or adjustable bench
    If you have the space for a home gym: Power rack, flat utility bench or adjustable bench, barbell, 300 to 500 lbs of plates, get more plates as you get stronger, and some stall mats
    More stuff that is nice to have but optional and in no particular order: weight plate tree, fixed dumbbells or a second adjustable dumbbell setup, kettlebells, storage racks, exercise bands, lat pulldown/low row machine or a functional trainer, landmine, extra barbell, decline bench, cardio machine such as concept2 rower or airbike or recumbent bike.
    Last edited by ampire; 07-06-2019 at 06:13 AM.

DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthCholo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ampire View Post
    1) What is your budget?
    2) In my opinion, most home leverage gyms are worthless. The leverage, angle, and ROM always seems off, so they feel to me like they are going to cause tendonitis long term. They also often don't have enough resistance to gain muscle.
    3) A Functional Trainer might be a good substitute for a leverage gym for you if you have the budget for it.
    4) Free weights are really the best option for the buyer's money and time for gaining overall strength and muscle and that's why everyone advocates for them.

Example of free weight setups:
    Really minimalist: Adjustable Dumbbells, flat utility bench or adjustable bench
    If you have the space for a home gym: Power rack, flat utility bench or adjustable bench, barbell, 300 to 500 lbs of plates, get more plates as you get stronger, and some stall mats
    More stuff that is nice to have but optional and in no particular order: weight plate tree, fixed dumbbells or a second adjustable dumbbell setup, kettlebells, storage racks, exercise bands, lat pulldown/low row machine or a functional trainer, landmine, extra barbell, decline bench, cardio machine such as concept2 rower or airbike or recumbent bike.
    This.

MatthewOkamoto is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by bobgoblin1982 View Post
    would want the weights to be stackable. I know most gyms come with 150 lbs but I need to be able to also increase that to say 200 or so.
    I would like to say it becomes a very big investment if you purchase a machine for your home and along with this you need to provide proper maintenance service to all the equipment so that they run smoothly. In this case, I would say you can also join some gym for your regular exercise.

Registered User jthomasofficial's Avatar
    jthomasofficial has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jthomasofficial has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jthomasofficial has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jthomasofficial has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jthomasofficial has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jthomasofficial has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jthomasofficial has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jthomasofficial has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jthomasofficial has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jthomasofficial has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jthomasofficial has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The necessities are free weights, a rack, and bench.