LongCommute is just really nice. (+1000) LongCommute is just really nice. (+1000) LongCommute is just really nice. (+1000) LongCommute is just really nice. (+1000) LongCommute is just really nice. (+1000) LongCommute is just really nice. (+1000) LongCommute is just really nice. (+1000) LongCommute is just really nice. (+1000) LongCommute is just really nice. (+1000) LongCommute is just really nice. (+1000) LongCommute is just really nice. (+1000)

What is causing me to get drowsy and tired

It seems like after a meal I get really tired and drowsy. I am not sure why this happens to me but it's been really messing with my sleep cycle and I just always feel bloated. Are all these caused by carbs? Would Keto be a good option for me to help avoid this carb sensitivity?

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by LongCommute View Post
    It seems like after a meal I get really tired and drowsy. I am not sure why this happens to me but it's been really messing with my sleep cycle and I just always feel bloated. Are all these caused by carbs? Would Keto be a good option for me to help avoid this carb sensitivity?
    First off, if you are carb-sensitive (which isn't a medically recognized term), then the idea would be you'd feel better/energized when consuming higher carbs. A better way to look at it would be to think about insulin-sensitivity vs. resistance.

That being said, you haven't said what you're eating, so no one can really help until you say what it is specifically that is causing your symptoms.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Might be the amount of carbs and type of carbs. Try to see how you do with lower carb meals. You don't have to go full keto.
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/

LongCommute is just really nice. (+1000) LongCommute is just really nice. (+1000) LongCommute is just really nice. (+1000) LongCommute is just really nice. (+1000) LongCommute is just really nice. (+1000) LongCommute is just really nice. (+1000) LongCommute is just really nice. (+1000) LongCommute is just really nice. (+1000) LongCommute is just really nice. (+1000) LongCommute is just really nice. (+1000) LongCommute is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    First off, if you are carb-sensitive (which isn't a medically recognized term), then the idea would be you'd feel better/energized when consuming higher carbs. A better way to look at it would be to think about insulin-sensitivity vs. resistance.

That being said, you haven't said what you're eating, so no one can really help until you say what it is specifically that is causing your symptoms.
    It really could be any meal that is higher in carbs. For example, if I have a simple chipotle chicken bowl I will be knocked out and feel bloated till the next day.

Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    Might be the amount of carbs and type of carbs. Try to see how you do with lower carb meals. You don't have to go full keto.
    Generally, what would cause these type of symptoms like the type of carbs?

Are they any foods that give you energy?

LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Odds are overwhelming it's a carb sensitivity issue; which is to say, a dysfunction in glucose metabolism involving reduced insulin sensitivity and the compensating release of more insulin. So, yes, it's a carb issue (and for goodness sake, do not increase carb consumption to "feel better/energized" it will exacerbate both your symptoms and the underlying issue and could lead to full blown diabetes).

LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Gravitating toward carb foods with a lower glycemic index can help if the hyperinsulinemia (what my prior post description refers to) is mild and if a drop in energy and drowsiness is your only symptom(s) so far then likely it is. Also, pairing carb foods with fiber and/or protein slows the absorption some so net effect is reduces effective glycemic index. Timing carb consumption after weight training can help as well, as intense weight training temporarily raises insulin sensitivity.
    If the more moderate options don't work, then lower carb intake until you find your consumption tolerance. And, yes, keto is a good option too.

Originally Posted by LukeEverhart View Post
    Odds are overwhelming it's a carb sensitivity issue; which is to say, a dysfunction in glucose metabolism involving reduced insulin sensitivity and the compensating release of more insulin. So, yes, it's a carb issue (and for goodness sake, do not increase carb consumption to "feel better/energized" it will exacerbate both your symptoms and the underlying issue and could lead to full blown diabetes).
    This makes me worry as I have gained 5 pounds in the last 3 weeks and I know thats a symptom of early diabetes.

I meant like which foods are best to increase my energy and so on?

What would be best steps going forward to get back to being healthy?

This makes me worry as I have gained 5 pounds in the last 3 weeks and I know thats a symptom of early diabetes.

I meant like which foods are best to increase my energy and so on?

What would be best steps going forward to get back to being healthy?
    See my post with general tips that followed the one you quoted.
    So get a glycemic index list for common foods. Time carbs post workout. Get on a weight training program if you aren't. You can experiment with a 16/8 IF or even 18/6 IF schedule if wiling, as intermittent fasting has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity over time as well. Keto has also been show to, over time, improve insulin sensitivity if you opt to go that route. Improving your energy will be more a function of what not to eat and when not to eat it.

Vrykul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vrykul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vrykul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vrykul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vrykul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vrykul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vrykul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vrykul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vrykul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vrykul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vrykul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Isn't it normal to feel sleepy after eating to some extent? Rest and digest and all that jazz

Maybe your body isn't used to having all those carbs, could be reactive hypoglycemia

Originally Posted by Vrykul View Post
    Isn't it normal to feel sleepy after eating to some extent? Rest and digest and all that jazz

Maybe your body isn't used to having all those carbs, could be reactive hypoglycemia
    Actually, no. Yes, wikipedia says postprandial somnolence is normal (wikipedia is chock full of nonsense so...). It's not if eating to satiety rather than excessively. Only in the case of overeating (like Thanksgiving), the OPs scenario discussed upthread, or in the case of a big soul food meal, The Itis ;D.

HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Everyone mentions such a complex thing as carb-intolerance or diabetes but

cannot it just be a type of food you simply do not tolerate?

I have it myself. I feel bloated and all from dairy, anything with tomato, rye-bread etc.

Have you tried eliminating certain groups of food?

Originally Posted by HeMB View Post

I have it myself. I feel bloated and all from dairy, anything with tomato, rye-bread etc.

Good point. It certainly could be and that'd be the less life-altering option to pursue first.

After reading everything in here and having a history of diabetes in my family I am gonna cut out grains and starches from diet as well as decrease high glycemic foods in my diet as a whole and see what happens.

I am trying to see how to change my macros to perhaps help guide this in the right direction.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

If you feel bloated, then yes.

However, drowsy and tired is most of the times caused by the blood sugar and insulin response, which is usually caused by carbs.

After reading everything in here and having a history of diabetes in my family I am gonna cut out grains and starches from diet as well as decrease high glycemic foods in my diet as a whole and see what happens.

I am trying to see how to change my macros to perhaps help guide this in the right direction.
    You don't have to take such radical decisions. For example: 4 slices of white bread may make you feel tired. 2 slices of 100% whole wheat tired may make you feel energised.

100 gram white rice may make you feel tired, 60 gram of brown rice may make you feel fine. etc.

Legumes, whole grains, fruits have been linked with many health benefits. Cutting them out completely would be unnecessary and counter productive.

Keep in mind that you can eat a much higher fat diet while you still eat carbs. Plenty of nuts, olive oil, avocados, fatty fish are good choices if you want to eat more fat.

HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you feel bloated, then yes.

However, drowsy and tired is most of the times caused by the blood sugar and insulin response, which is usually caused by carbs.
    Well, I not only feel bloated in my case but also drowsy and tired as you say; tbh, if it hits really hard, I feel like I can go straight to the bed. So I would not say it's a blood sugar and insulin thing necessary .

Well, I not only feel bloated in my case but also drowsy and tired as you say; tbh, if it hits really hard, I feel like I can go straight to the bed. So I would not say it's a blood sugar and insulin thing necessary .
    I expect your case is probably different. I think OPs case is related to blood sugar and insulin response. But let's see, maybe OP will update here and let us know what he finds out.

Originally Posted by Vrykul View Post
    To some extent, yes. Especially after very large meals it would normal to experience some tiredness.
    Last edited by Mrpb; 06-24-2019 at 05:42 AM.

You don't have to take such radical decisions. For example: 4 slices of white bread may make you feel tired. 2 slices of 100% whole wheat tired may make you feel energised.

100 gram white rice may make you feel tired, 60 gram of brown rice may make you feel fine. etc.

Legumes, whole grains, fruits have been linked with many health benefits. Cutting them out completely would be unnecessary and counter productive.
    Well, actually the glycemic index of whole wheat and white bread is almost identical and that of brown & white rice is within a few points, both are well over the 50 threshold that is generally advised for mild hyperinsulinemia.
    Fruits certainly have micronutrients not readily available elsewhere or distilled in pill form and could be eaten post workout perhaps.
    However, nobody needs whole grains. The nutrient content is rather low (absent artificial refortifying w/vits), the phytates in grains (particularly whole wheat) actually block mineral absorption of a number of essential minerals (zinc, etc), the lectins in grains bind to insulin receptors exacerbating related metabolic issues and contribute to leptin resistance (the satiety hormone) leading to increased appetite, and of course the gluten which has implications beyond celiac disease for a % of the population.

OP, I think your intent to cut out grains & starches is a good starting point. And here is a very partial list of the glycemic index of some common foods as illustration: https://www.health.harvard.edu/disea...-for-100-foods

Well, actually the glycemic index of whole wheat and white bread is almost identical
    Depends on which type of bread you're buying. It's possible to get white bread with a GI close to 90 or much lower, it's also possible to find whole grain with a GI of 50. One of the factors that influences GI is the amount of fiber. So select high fiber bread if you want low GI.

But, in the context of normal meals that contain protein and fat, the GI index isn't all that important.

And then there's the fact that several studies have shown that there are large differences in individual glycemic response to specific foods, which further reduces the usability of the GI index.

and that of brown & white rice is within a few points
    Similar as with bread it entirely depends on which specific kinds of rice we're talking. Certain types of brown rice can have a GI as low as 50, or white jasmin rice can have a GI of 100.

The nutrient content is rather low (absent artificial refortifying w/vits), the phytates in grains (particularly whole wheat) actually block mineral absorption of a number of essential minerals (zinc, etc), the lectins in grains bind to insulin receptors exacerbating related metabolic issues and contribute to leptin resistance (the satiety hormone) leading to increased appetite, and of course the gluten which has implications beyond celiac disease for a % of the population.
    It seems like you've been influenced by Paleo ideas. I have to disagree on almost all accounts. But this topic has been discussed ad nauseam on this forum, I see no reason to repeat it.

Here's one of those threads: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...4123511&page=1

OP, whole grains have been associated with many health benefits, there's no reason to cut them out entirely. Then again, you can compose a healthy diet without grains.
    Last edited by Mrpb; 06-24-2019 at 09:27 AM.

One of the factors that influences GI is the amount of fiber.

To further lower the glycemic load of a meal one can add protein and fat.
    Agree on both. I advised the OP similarly upthread.

It seems like you've been influenced by Paleo ideas. I have to disagree on almost all accounts. But this topic has been discussed ad nauseam on this forum, I see no reason to repeat it.

P, whole grains have been associated with a ton of health benefits, there's no reason to cut them out entirely. Then again, you can compose a healthy diet without grains.
    No, not paleo; rather, just the science on the subject as it's been the subject of intense scrutiny for many years now (Nature has published a good deal on it. The Intl Journal of Obesity has published a good deal on it. & similar)
    I think the OP is likely moving in the right direction and I wouldn't want to bury his discussion in fruitless online debate either.

No, not paleo; rather, just the science on the subject as it's been the subject of intense scrutiny for many years now.
    A very selective part of the available science I'd say. And that just happens to be the part that the Paleo crowd tends to reference, while ignoring the health benefits.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm always surprised when people mention how they feel lethargic when eating carbs... I wish there was more science explaining why -- assuming you're not diabetic.

I would imagine that if you're active and also perform regular weight training, you should be pretty insulin sensitive, and thus carbs should give you energy if anything... I get nothing but a major 'buzz' feeling after eating a high carb meal, unless the volume is so high i blow up from the mass itself and then its more a matter of digestion/blood flow... but carbs in general seem to give me nothing but energy.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

I expect your case is probably different. I think OPs case is related to blood sugar and insulin response. But let's see, maybe OP will update here and let us know what he finds out.
    Yeah, who knows. I just provided some different food for thought.

Yeah, who knows. I just provided some different food for thought.
    Well I didn't notice before but OP did mention feeling bloated too, so who knows there might be some kind of intolerance going on too.

So take this with a pinch of salt as this is just one and a half days of adjusting my diet but I feel much better having restricted my carb intake today. Last night in fact I had a meal and I usually feel super lethargic afterwards but I was perfectly fine! It's making an impact already so I will report back at the end of the week.

So take this with a pinch of salt as this is just one and a half days of adjusting my diet but I feel much better having restricted my carb intake today. Last night in fact I had a meal and I usually feel super lethargic afterwards but I was perfectly fine! It's making an impact already so I will report back at the end of the week.
    Well, no need no report back if it's fixed dude... carry on.

Yes that's interesting. Let us know what you find out.