RomanFalcon is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Best Method for Measuring Bodyfat: Jackson/Pollock 3 site or Tape?

I recently started attempting to track my bodyfat to serve as a guide to my lean cutting plan. So far I have attempted the 2 site circumference tape around my neck/abdomen and just today I also tried the Jackson/Pollock 3 site pinch method with calipers. I watched the videos, so I am pretty confident that my methodology isn't off, but my reading for one was 23.4% with tape and 20% with Jackson/Pollock. That seems like a pretty wide deviation between the two options. It would be great if I were at 20% BF already, but I am extremely doubtful of that.

Is there anything definitive to suggest that one method is supremely more accurate versus the other?

Thank you.

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by RomanFalcon View Post
    Is there anything definitive to suggest that one method is supremely more accurate versus the other?

Thank you.
    Nope. Don’t go looking for an exact number; rather, use the calipers consistently to track your trends over time.

Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    IME Jackson Pollock gave me false lows in the past, it became really obvious when I was around 8%BF and it gave me a 4%-reading.

Tape measure is the more consistent one of the two from what I remember. It really doesn't matter though, as any of them can be used to track progress over time, which matters more than a spec number.
    ~ Feel free to PM me if you have any questions ~

" As mind ~ as matter "

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Don't look for a certain %, look for progression. This can be done by measuring your waist at the navel, 1" of loss here signifies abou 5-7 lbs of fatloss. BF% is really a meaningless number actually. Even the extremely expensive machines can be way off. Plus the way someone stores fat can be a huge factor. 2 people with the same BF% can look vastly different.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    Don't look for a certain %, look for progression. This can be done by measuring your waist at the navel, 1" of loss here signifies abou 5-7 lbs of fatloss. BF% is really a meaningless number actually. Even the extremely expensive machines can be way off. Plus the way someone stores fat can be a huge factor. 2 people with the same BF% can look vastly different.
    I've always wondered- is it best to relax your belly or even push it out as much possible? Or suck it in? What is the standard when bodybuilders give measurements?

I use a myotape FWIW, seems to help with the accuracy and consistency.

RomanFalcon is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the responses fellas. I understand that BF% is essentially arbitrary in it's own right. I will stick with the tape since I have been doing it for longer, and have built a better baseline with said measurements regarding progress.