patrickb7 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up Workout Plan for 8-5 Job - Asking for Advice

Hello all,

So about a month ago, I have started a new job with hours of 8 A.M. - 5 P.M. (some days later) Monday thru Friday as a Mechanical Engineer. Before this, my schedule was not nearly as busy and I was able to accomplish my Push/Pull/Legs rotation five days a week with sufficient nutrition without any problems.

I thought I could continue pulling this routine off with my new career path, and decided hitting the gym in the morning (~5-6 A.M.) before work was the best option. Sadly, what used to be a great strength training routine has slowly started to crumble as I have occasional insomnia and just cannot perform at minimum functioning levels for work with less than 6 hours of sleep. This is especially a problem come Monday morning as I tend to stay up later on weekends (only times my friends are available) and just cannot seem to get to sleep early on Sunday nights, causing me to skip my Monday workout which has made me lose a lot of progress.

Is there anyone else on here that works 9-5 (or any other strict Mon - Fri time schedule) and feels my pain? I'd really like to keep a consistent schedule and am considering switching from a 5 day P/P/L to an upper/lower split or 3 day P/P/L to keep things consistent. I guess I'm mostly asking if anyone has scheduling advice that works well for them where they are able to keep things consistent but need the weekends to stay up later and enjoy the time off a bit. Thanks!

TaaDow187 is just really nice. (+1000) TaaDow187 is just really nice. (+1000) TaaDow187 is just really nice. (+1000) TaaDow187 is just really nice. (+1000) TaaDow187 is just really nice. (+1000) TaaDow187 is just really nice. (+1000) TaaDow187 is just really nice. (+1000) TaaDow187 is just really nice. (+1000) TaaDow187 is just really nice. (+1000) TaaDow187 is just really nice. (+1000) TaaDow187 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by patrickb7 View Post
    Hello all,

So about a month ago, I have started a new job with hours of 8 A.M. - 5 P.M. (some days later) Monday thru Friday as a Mechanical Engineer. Before this, my schedule was not nearly as busy and I was able to accomplish my Push/Pull/Legs rotation five days a week with sufficient nutrition without any problems.

I thought I could continue pulling this routine off with my new career path, and decided hitting the gym in the morning (~5-6 A.M.) before work was the best option. Sadly, what used to be a great strength training routine has slowly started to crumble as I have occasional insomnia and just cannot perform at minimum functioning levels for work with less than 6 hours of sleep. This is especially a problem come Monday morning as I tend to stay up later on weekends (only times my friends are available) and just cannot seem to get to sleep early on Sunday nights, causing me to skip my Monday workout which has made me lose a lot of progress.

Is there anyone else on here that works 9-5 (or any other strict Mon - Fri time schedule) and feels my pain? I'd really like to keep a consistent schedule and am considering switching from a 5 day P/P/L to an upper/lower split or 3 day P/P/L to keep things consistent. I guess I'm mostly asking if anyone has scheduling advice that works well for them where they are able to keep things consistent but need the weekends to stay up later and enjoy the time off a bit. Thanks!
    That’s why there are different splits. It’s not just to ramp up volume, but also to be flexible enough to accommodate work schedules and life.

A three day full body will afford you the weekends off.

An U/L four day can also be effective and gives you the weekends off, too.

Honestly, you may want to have your insomnia addressed by a professional. Sleep and rest is quite important.

health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I start work at 5 am and I’m training by 330 am 6 days a week. At some point you need to just suck it up. I’ve trained with 5 or less hours of sleep before if I wasn’t able to get to bed on time (7 pm) for whatever reason. Obviously it’s not good if this is an every night occurrence.

The other thing to is if you are getting up earlier and maybe going to bed earlier it could take time for your body to adjust which is why you might notice you’re not sleeping as good. But the more you do it your body will eventually adjust to the different sleep schedule.

The other option is to consider something like melatonin, etc. if doing other things first doesn’t help.

Consider what your bedtime routine is, what do you do before bed, when you consume caffeine, etc. These things can influence you sleep.
    - Your mindset influences your outcome. It's time to take out phrases like "I can't" or "I don't have time" and replace them with phrases like "I will make the time" and "I will keep working at it until I find a way that works." Success starts with the right mindset and believing in yourself and your dreams.

Originally Posted by health4life24 View Post
    I start work at 5 am and I’m training by 330 am 6 days a week. At some point you need to just suck it up. I’ve trained with 5 or less hours of sleep before if I wasn’t able to get to bed on time (7 pm) for whatever reason. Obviously it’s not good if this is an every night occurrence.

The other thing to is if you are getting up earlier and maybe going to bed earlier it could take time for your body to adjust which is why you might notice you’re not sleeping as good. But the more you do it your body will eventually adjust to the different sleep schedule.

The other option is to consider something like melatonin, etc. if doing other things first doesn’t help.

Consider what your bedtime routine is, what do you do before bed, when you consume caffeine, etc. These things can influence you sleep.
    Thank you for the sound advice! I must ask what workout program you follow (or, considering you are probably years ahead of me in experience, which one you started that worked the best for you in the earlier days)? I've done plenty of research yet now having to switch to something other than my non-cyclic Push/Pull/Legs is giving me doubts that I'll find something similarly beneficial.

health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thank you for the sound advice! I must ask what workout program you follow (or, considering you are probably years ahead of me in experience, which one you started that worked the best for you in the earlier days)? I've done plenty of research yet now having to switch to something other than my non-cyclic Push/Pull/Legs is giving me doubts that I'll find something similarly beneficial.
    I do a 6 day split. For years I was alternating between Arnold’s 6 day and a push pull legs, high volume, intense.

More recently I’ve switched to a body part split simply because I wanted to try something different from what I was used to. Eventually I might go back to one of the other two. We’ll see.
    - Your mindset influences your outcome. It's time to take out phrases like "I can't" or "I don't have time" and replace them with phrases like "I will make the time" and "I will keep working at it until I find a way that works." Success starts with the right mindset and believing in yourself and your dreams.

DOMSPOWER is on a distinguished road. (+10) DOMSPOWER is on a distinguished road. (+10) DOMSPOWER is on a distinguished road. (+10) DOMSPOWER is on a distinguished road. (+10) DOMSPOWER is on a distinguished road. (+10) DOMSPOWER is on a distinguished road. (+10) DOMSPOWER is on a distinguished road. (+10) DOMSPOWER is on a distinguished road. (+10) DOMSPOWER is on a distinguished road. (+10) DOMSPOWER is on a distinguished road. (+10) DOMSPOWER is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have manual labor on and off since 6 weeks ago, anything from 4-12 hours usually, and lately it's really hard with 14 hours friday, normal hours sunday and monday, and i was told i have it again from wednesday to at least friday. I'm not yet used to all the techniques and the fatique, and there are big differences in how i train when i have more vs little or no work.

Little work:

Pushing volume high, much like you've been doing.

Lots of work:

Even 3 sessions per week can be pretty intense, and it's more Bob People-esque with very few extra exercises.

I can recommend you this:

Monday, wednesday and friday:
    Squat - as light as possible on wednesdays, but pump away
    Push
    Pull
    0-3 extra exercises

Just one variation of each type of main exercise.

Tuesday, Thursday:
    Smaller exercises like bodyweight exercises and arm isos. Keep it very brief, as in 20-40 minutes.

I find that doing high rep work makes me lethargic and slow as hell for work, and doing very low reps is nearly easy to keep work up with, so long as i don't do a lot of exercises or go so heavy that weaker muscles feel off.
    Go to my log and share something brutal i might wanna try: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177638011&p=1589549301#post1589549301

Hutrapper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hutrapper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hutrapper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hutrapper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hutrapper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hutrapper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hutrapper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hutrapper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hutrapper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hutrapper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Hutrapper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I used to be unable to sleep because of the perceived stress of the workday to come. I used to get like that. No way could I workout in that state. I needed to get my head right and then everything else fell into place. I work 7-7, five days a week. I do not workout on weekends. Weekdays are my days to work, both on me, and work. Not getting enough sleep would end my workouts. I work out from 5am till6, and am at work at 7. My bed alarm goes off at 9:15 pm, and I am in bed by 10 at the latest. If I am drained from work, that can turn into being in bed by 9. I need sleep or I am a zombie.

Id say go to bed earlier and turn it into a routine. On days when I feel like crap in the morning, or stayed up too late a good preworkout helps push me through, but max once a week for the preworkout. Also, I make sure to eat a good bit of carbs for dinner, and I feel great in the gym. I cant workout it the evenings. Too tired out. Plus I feel like I am putting myself first when I wake up at 5 and get it done.

I dont think just sucking it up is going to be all of it. I have always needed at least 7 hours sleep, preferably eight. Make it a point to go to bed early, eat right, and I don't think you should have any trouble. I do need weekends to focus on other stuff. This schedule works for me. I have always been a lazy morning person, and never would have dreamed I could wake up at 5 am for anything other than hunting, but I am doing it and loving it by making a few small changes.

pears539 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hello all,

Hey man, I have a very similar situation to you and I've been able to figure out how to manage my time pretty well and keep a surprisingly good work-life balance, just takes some time to really figure it out and nail it down... I started working a year ago yesterday actually for an engineering firm as an industrial engineer and I'm at my office 8:15-5:30 usually and don't get home until around 6 which when I go workout... on top of that, I live near the beach, so especially now that summer is back, my weekends are usually late as that is when I can really have time to hang out with friends. Also, I'm also not a morning person at all and as a result I feel like I'm dragging if I don't have enough sleep, so sounds like we both have it pretty similar...

The first thing I'll say, which has a much bigger effect than you would think, is that once you can manage to get onto a good sleep schedule (10 or 11 to 7) and be able to wake up then without hitting snooze over and over, you'll be able to manage having busy weekends as well as not be tired during the week to workout. I'm out with my friends until 2/3 AM on weekends and can still sleep well enough (knock on wood) during the week... only problem with this is I'm more tired on the weekend, but it's the weekend still so its alright. And, again, you catch up on sleep and get back to normal during the week. So work on getting to bed earlier Sunday-Thursday so you get onto a good schedule.

Secondly, I follow a Monday back and bis, Tuesday chest and tris, Wednesday Shoulders and legs, Thursday off, Friday full body workout, and cardio/bodyweight training on Saturday and Sunday if I'm not too hungover... lets me hit everything once-twice during the week and still get some cardio in. I've also found that it is much easier to workout after work as opposed to before, and everyone in my office who lifts also agrees with that... several people have also converted from morning lifters to evening lifters after realizing how much better it is.

Lastly, I meal prep half my food on Sundays, with grocery shops Saturday and Thursday (off day). This way I can keep my nutrition on and not go crazy with it (used to do only what i needed for the next day and realized how ineffective this is with my time).

Hope this little bit is helpful, trying to leave my office now actually so I'm keeping it brief but if there is anything else you want/need to ask about then go ahead.

Blitzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Blitzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Blitzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Blitzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Blitzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Blitzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Blitzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Blitzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Blitzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Blitzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Blitzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    lolll 8 to 5, i do 4h30am to 7pm and still train im a dad a husband... if you train at 6 am. how about going to bed before midnight....
    stop beeing a pansy you have the easiest scheduel of them all

No help for this one.... Squid24's Avatar
    Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I work those hrs and I workout at 0430. I go to bed around 9pm and wake up at 4am.

You do what you have to do...time management is very important in this hobby...lol

In my defense, I've been getting up early since I was 12 yrs old....so my body is used to going to bed early...
    My Log - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170367151&page=50

"Muff divers local #69.....no muff too tough....we dive at five"

Fierce 5 Programs ->https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1266579671#post1266579671

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Wow... Yeah it's a challenge to juggle life and work sometimes, but 8-5 and workouts??
    Just wait till you get some kids + work + gym. Then you'll need time management skills!

Originally Posted by Hutrapper View Post
    I used to be unable to sleep because of the perceived stress of the workday to come. I used to get like that. No way could I workout in that state. I needed to get my head right and then everything else fell into place. I work 7-7, five days a week. I do not workout on weekends. Weekdays are my days to work, both on me, and work. Not getting enough sleep would end my workouts. I work out from 5am till6, and am at work at 7. My bed alarm goes off at 9:15 pm, and I am in bed by 10 at the latest. If I am drained from work, that can turn into being in bed by 9. I need sleep or I am a zombie.

Id say go to bed earlier and turn it into a routine. On days when I feel like crap in the morning, or stayed up too late a good preworkout helps push me through, but max once a week for the preworkout. Also, I make sure to eat a good bit of carbs for dinner, and I feel great in the gym. I cant workout it the evenings. Too tired out. Plus I feel like I am putting myself first when I wake up at 5 and get it done.

I dont think just sucking it up is going to be all of it. I have always needed at least 7 hours sleep, preferably eight. Make it a point to go to bed early, eat right, and I don't think you should have any trouble. I do need weekends to focus on other stuff. This schedule works for me. I have always been a lazy morning person, and never would have dreamed I could wake up at 5 am for anything other than hunting, but I am doing it and loving it by making a few small changes.
    Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I rediscovered this thread after running into the same issue yet again, but I can honestly pinpoint the issue as being my insomnia. I think I'll seek medical advice ASAP so I can continue hitting the gym as much as possible.

Originally Posted by Squid24 View Post
    I work those hrs and I workout at 0430. I go to bed around 9pm and wake up at 4am.

You do what you have to do...time management is very important in this hobby...lol

In my defense, I've been getting up early since I was 12 yrs old....so my body is used to going to bed early...
    Time management certainly is important, thanks for sharing! I actually started pulling all nighters at 12 years old and ever since then I live mostly at night, I think I need to get new job hours (I may be part of that 20% of the population who's circadian rhythm is legitimately shifted off course)

Originally Posted by Blitzilla View Post
    lolll 8 to 5, i do 4h30am to 7pm and still train im a dad a husband... if you train at 6 am. how about going to bed before midnight....
    stop beeing a pansy you have the easiest scheduel of them all
    Well the issue is mostly that it's not that I don't have the energy to go to the gym every day, I absolutely would, it's just that I can't fall asleep 3/7 nights a week. As an engineer (who wears many hats, at that) small mistakes can cost large sums of money so it's really an issue of making sure I can get to sleep no matter what.

I disagree, I don't have the easiest schedule of them all, but I definitely have more than enough time to hit the gym yet it's the lack of focus from sleep loss that could easily cost me my job. As a dad and husband, do you have any advice for working out with enough time to tire out and fall asleep early?

I did used to be a contractor and it was cake going to the gym then, now I just sit on my ass all day indoors and it's torture haha

BigTallandLost will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigTallandLost will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigTallandLost will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigTallandLost will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigTallandLost will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigTallandLost will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigTallandLost will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigTallandLost will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigTallandLost will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigTallandLost will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigTallandLost will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hello all,

If you want to work out you have to adjust. Your schedule is set so it cannot be the excuse. I work the same and work out 7-8 5 times doing the novice 5 on here. Adjust the days and instead of fighting during the week, only do 2 days during the week and has Saturday and Sunday morning. If you want it, you will find a way but like others said sleep is vital