kass617 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kass617 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kass617 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kass617 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kass617 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kass617 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kass617 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kass617 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kass617 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kass617 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kass617 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Over 40 and just starting out (ADVICE)

I just recently turned 40, and although I was athletic in my teenage years, I never lifted weights. Ever. I just started out, and on my first workout I did triceps and chest and I think I overdid it a bit and got so sore that I could barely move my arms. I attempted to do Biceps/Back the next day but couldn't do it. It took about 4 days for the soreness to go away enough to get another workout in. Now its been 2 days since doing Biceps/Back and Im still sore to the point where I can't get a meaningful workout in. I went REALLY light on my second workout but still feeling it. Any advice on starting out at this age? How to prevent soreness to this degree?

Thanks

Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Some homework

Look up "DOMS"

And go here for the finest advice possible: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=168581133

Good luck!
    Please record my time/reps if I pass out

audiospirit will become famous soon enough. (+50) audiospirit will become famous soon enough. (+50) audiospirit will become famous soon enough. (+50) audiospirit will become famous soon enough. (+50) audiospirit will become famous soon enough. (+50) audiospirit will become famous soon enough. (+50) audiospirit will become famous soon enough. (+50) audiospirit will become famous soon enough. (+50) audiospirit will become famous soon enough. (+50) audiospirit will become famous soon enough. (+50) audiospirit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Give it time, and just keep going. In a week or so you shouldn't have too many problems with soreness. I still get it from time to time, and I have been lifting pretty steady for the last 5 months. I am a beginner too, and for me the soreness stopped around my third week of lifting.

Also, lifting while being sore actually helps relieve the pain... so don't be afraid to train when you are sore. Good luck!

bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Have a plan for each workout before you go to the gym. This will help with consistence. In the first few visits take it slow and get used to lifting relatively light weights and work on form. If not sore after the workout add some weight and/or volume to the next workout. In about 3 or 4 weeks you will know where you should be lifting and what you can do. Next, pay little attention to what other people are doing in the gym. You have no idea if they are lifting heavy/low rep, light/high rep or what they are trying to accomplish. Eat enough protein and get proper sleep to help with recovery. Good luck.

loyforesy will become famous soon enough. (+50) loyforesy will become famous soon enough. (+50) loyforesy will become famous soon enough. (+50) loyforesy will become famous soon enough. (+50) loyforesy will become famous soon enough. (+50) loyforesy will become famous soon enough. (+50) loyforesy will become famous soon enough. (+50) loyforesy will become famous soon enough. (+50) loyforesy will become famous soon enough. (+50) loyforesy will become famous soon enough. (+50) loyforesy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Starting a fitness routine at 40 does have some mental hurdles.Wish you all the best. Keep trying. It’s important to keep in mind that a 40-year-old body is different than a 20-year-old body, and progressing safely is a must.

JoeShmoe99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeShmoe99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeShmoe99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeShmoe99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeShmoe99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeShmoe99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeShmoe99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeShmoe99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeShmoe99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeShmoe99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeShmoe99 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by kass617 View Post
    I just recently turned 40, and although I was athletic in my teenage years, I never lifted weights. Ever. I just started out, and on my first workout I did triceps and chest and I think I overdid it a bit and got so sore that I could barely move my arms. I attempted to do Biceps/Back the next day but couldn't do it. It took about 4 days for the soreness to go away enough to get another workout in. Now its been 2 days since doing Biceps/Back and Im still sore to the point where I can't get a meaningful workout in. I went REALLY light on my second workout but still feeling it. Any advice on starting out at this age? How to prevent soreness to this degree?

Thanks
    Remember it well, those first sessions are brutal but perfectly natural to be sore, those muscles are weak and haven't been used so they ache! Train through it best you can and it will get better in a week. In the meantime do legs and core (really important to do legs as well)