Beavertown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beavertown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beavertown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beavertown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beavertown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beavertown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beavertown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beavertown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beavertown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beavertown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beavertown will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Bad advice/Confusion over Nutrition

Hello, this is my first post in quite a few years.
    Over the last year I have been cleaning up my diet and training hard after being overweight for some time.
    I reduced my bodyfat from around 25% possibly more to the point where I now almost have visable top abs so Im guessing I am just under 15% and my weight has gone from 110kg to 99kg height is 5ft 9
    I work shifts and my average calories burned per day according to fitbit can vary from 2800 to 3200.
    After the last year in a small deficit I have decided to have a go at building more muscle mass.
    I have gone online and seen all sorts of advice which has led me to pure confusion. My first week averaged
    3353 calories in
    Protein 309 carbs 206 fat 140g

Second week average
    3393 calories in
    Pro 357 carbs 207 fat 136

When losing weight my average week was around
    2500 to 2800 calories in
    178 to 222 pro
    209 to 222 carbs
    68 to 100 fat

( all these stats are averages from my fitness pal not what I have been advised to do)

So if anyone with any experience or good advice knowledge can point me in the right direction nutrition wise I would be extremely grateful.
    Thank you in advance

Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Now it's hard to say how lean you are without a pic. But I suspect you might be higher than 15%BF.

The below advice is only for building mass, so if you need to cut further, disregard it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your goal is to build mass, then you should focus on lifting progress primarily. Full intensity and adding weight/reps on a consistent basis.

For scaleweight, gaining up to 2lbs/month is fine. If you exceed it, dial down calories a bit.

As said, the key is getting stronger (in the 5-15 rep range). If you stall in bodyweight, while getting stronger, just ride the wave until lifts stall, then add calories.

For a staring point, try 3300kcal and see what happens.
    ~ Feel free to PM me if you have any questions ~

" As mind ~ as matter "

Beavertown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beavertown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beavertown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beavertown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beavertown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beavertown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beavertown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beavertown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beavertown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beavertown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beavertown will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hello Tucane,
    Thank you for the reply.
    As for the body fat I will post a pic from before and the one I took yesterday. I didn't have anything to measure fat% so I went off pictures online as a rough idea and I did buy some electronic calipers but I can literally make myself 12% bf If I squeeze them hard enough lol which is well off.
    The last year of slimming down has been a grind this is the main reason I wanted to raise calories because Im stuck with my strength. So my mindset is maybe add a little more weight and more importantly strength to again have another shot at getting leaner over time. my bench grinded to a halt around 70kg with the bar, Squat I struggled with 80kg with the bar and deadlift was 80kg this was the same story with every other exercise too. Just literally hit a peak or plateau wether the deficit was too large or not I dont know but I felt good compared to when I started.
    Since I raised calories to probably just above maintenance my lifts and strength have rapidly (and safely) improved. For a quick example I'm benching at 90kg I tried 100kg but its a bit too soon its definitely achievable though.
    One thing that did confuse me is a lot of online calculators have carbs a lot higher than what I am eating currently and protein varies from around 260 to 350 on some.
    So far I feel better eating more, definitely stronger and just the nutrition that I really want to get right. I would say my goal long term is to get a little bit more leaner whilst maybe adding a little bit more mass.
    Sorry for the essays aswell I just want to give out as much info so i can get the right advice
    Thanks again
    P.s I added a pic from when I started to one taken 3 weeks ago to my profile. Couldn't post them to this for some reason via my phone
    Last edited by Beavertown; 06-14-2019 at 08:38 AM.

Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Well you look like you have a big frame and BF of about 18% or so. What strikes me is that you still don't look fat in any way... might have to do with your wide looks and genetics for fat storage. You do need to add muscle.

I'll stand by the above advice for building mass and I think that you can do good progress around maintenance calories, as you are right now.

For fat your minimum is ~100g (1g/kg), for protein ~200g (2g/kg) and carbs can be used as a filler for the rest of your energy needs... Having more protein or fat than the minimums, if you prefer, is also fine.

It's not rocket science at this point in your development, but higher protein will give slightly better body composition results while more carbs (I prefer 1-2h preworkout) will boost your gym/energy needs.

You don't need to have the same macros everyday, just get in the minimums and do as you prefer with the rest.
    ~ Feel free to PM me if you have any questions ~

" As mind ~ as matter "

Thank you for the reply. I will take your advice on board.
    There is so much information available on the internet and sometimes the advice you can find can be good advice but not for me personally in my situation which over complicates things. So I really appreciate you taking the time out to help me and I will push on now then check my progress over the next few months.
    Thank you again!