Thread: TDEE Question

MosToorani is a name known to all. (+5000) MosToorani is a name known to all. (+5000) MosToorani is a name known to all. (+5000) MosToorani is a name known to all. (+5000) MosToorani is a name known to all. (+5000) MosToorani is a name known to all. (+5000) MosToorani is a name known to all. (+5000) MosToorani is a name known to all. (+5000) MosToorani is a name known to all. (+5000) MosToorani is a name known to all. (+5000) MosToorani is a name known to all. (+5000)

TDEE Question

Hello!

I was just having a random thought and I wanted some clarification, please.

Would the Calories burned via walking be the same if an individual walks/jogs 5 Miles at one go vs an individual that walks/jogs 5 Miles throughout the day?

I.e. Total distance the individual has walked/jogged would be equal for the entire day, nevertheless, one does it at one specific period of time vs one that does it throughout the day.

Cheers,

MT
    Instagram: Mos_Toorani

MosToorani is a name known to all. (+5000) MosToorani is a name known to all. (+5000) MosToorani is a name known to all. (+5000) MosToorani is a name known to all. (+5000) MosToorani is a name known to all. (+5000) MosToorani is a name known to all. (+5000) MosToorani is a name known to all. (+5000) MosToorani is a name known to all. (+5000) MosToorani is a name known to all. (+5000) MosToorani is a name known to all. (+5000) MosToorani is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Bump

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I have never read anything to indicate it would be different but I haven't looked into this before. It makes sense to me that it would be the same as you'd move the same mass through the same amount of space both ways and I wouldn't expect muscular efficiency to change throughout a single day.

Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    I have never read anything to indicate it would be different but I haven't looked into this before. It makes sense to me that it would be the same as you'd move the same mass through the same amount of space both ways and I wouldn't expect muscular efficiency to change throughout a single day.
    It would be quite interesting to know whether a study has been done about this or not.

Your reasoning is sound, though.

Cheers,

MT

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    External work done is the same - but efficiency might not be. Especially if you compare jogging to walking. Or any other scenario where recovery is prevented.

This is all academic of course because trying to work out your TDEE with precision is a waste of time.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    External work done is the same - but efficiency might not be. Especially if you compare jogging to walking. Or any other scenario where recovery is prevented.

This is all academic of course because trying to work out your TDEE with precision is a waste of time.
    True, True.

I was just wondering whether if all variables remained the same, except for the distance covered via walking in one interval vs throughout the day, with the distance covered being the same of course.

Cheers,

MT

Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Interesting question, my assumption is you would burn slightly more calories if you did it in one go versus breaking it up because of recovery time to overall energy expenditure would be a little lower when split. To what amount, I would think minimal but still think there would be a little difference but not enough to even worry or concern yourself with.
    “Other gyms use machines… CrossFit builds them”

Originally Posted by Vandeman17 View Post
    Interesting question, my assumption is you would burn slightly more calories if you did it in one go versus breaking it up because of recovery time to overall energy expenditure would be a little lower when split. To what amount, I would think minimal but still think there would be a little difference but not enough to even worry or concern yourself with.
    It's quite interesting, ey.

MT

jsquirefitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsquirefitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsquirefitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsquirefitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsquirefitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsquirefitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsquirefitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsquirefitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsquirefitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsquirefitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) jsquirefitness is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think that questions in regards to calories burned are more relevant in the context of goal attainment. Is there a certain goal that you are interested in attaining? eg: fat loss, put on muscle, strength gains... or is it purely an academic question?

Originally Posted by MosToorani View Post
    Hello!

I was just having a random thought and I wanted some clarification, please.

Would the Calories burned via walking be the same if an individual walks/jogs 5 Miles at one go vs an individual that walks/jogs 5 Miles throughout the day?

I.e. Total distance the individual has walked/jogged would be equal for the entire day, nevertheless, one does it at one specific period of time vs one that does it throughout the day.

Cheers,

MT

pinggolfer96 is not very helpful. (-500) pinggolfer96 is not very helpful. (-500) pinggolfer96 is not very helpful. (-500) pinggolfer96 is not very helpful. (-500) pinggolfer96 is not very helpful. (-500) pinggolfer96 is not very helpful. (-500) pinggolfer96 is not very helpful. (-500) pinggolfer96 is not very helpful. (-500) pinggolfer96 is not very helpful. (-500) pinggolfer96 is not very helpful. (-500) pinggolfer96 is not very helpful. (-500)
    there might be a slight caloric advantage to the all at once due to increased stress/ fatigue and inducing a slight "EPOC" effect during recovery. its a lot easier to walk a mile and rest then repeat 5 times than it is to run all 5 at once and exert more energy/ stress on metabolic tissue...etc. it can also become psychological....etc there are just so many factors

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by pinggolfer96 View Post
    there might be a slight caloric advantage to the all at once due to increased stress/ fatigue and inducing a slight "EPOC" effect during recovery. its a lot easier to walk a mile and rest then repeat 5 times than it is to run all 5 at once and exert more energy/ stress on metabolic tissue...etc. it can also become psychological....etc there are just so many factors
    this. i would like to add that OP shouldn't micromanage too much though

Originally Posted by faithbrah View Post
    this. i would like to add that OP shouldn't micromanage too much though
    Hello!

nothing to do with micromanaging.

I was just curious and wanted to know.

Cheers,

MT

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MosToorani View Post
    Hello!

nothing to do with micromanaging.

I was just curious and wanted to know.

Cheers,

MT
    yeah i figured you're asking out of curiosity. there are people who actually micromanage things like that btw

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Worry more about correct calorie counting and tracking than splitting hairs on exercise output. You'll never get it right anyway. Go through your normal routine, consume X calories and the outcome will dictate how to proceed from there.

TDEE is always a moving target at best
    Last edited by Tommy W.; 06-14-2019 at 04:58 PM.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB