Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    sadly, life is a marathon shesprints's Avatar
    shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Is this your boxing gym or your regular gym? That sounds like such an odd situation... I'm sorry. What a pain. Bleh. Finding a new gym sucks.

I can't believe you're doing such a deep cut. I can't--it wrecks my mood! Good luck with it though. At least it's short and fast. I prefer a slowwwww approach because it feels like I can sustain it and wait for my cut calories to become my new maintenance without too much struggle.

Re: boarding you know a lot of the guys at my BJJ gym hoverboard or skate, it's so good for balance. I sometimes see Marcelo or Hudson on their hoverboards outside. Surfing also has a big crossover culture with grappling. I suppose I can see why; some of the same thrill-seeking and timing challenges.
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
    --Hubert Humphrey

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170707741&p=1427864821#post1427864821

TypeNirvash has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TypeNirvash has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TypeNirvash has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TypeNirvash has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TypeNirvash has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TypeNirvash has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TypeNirvash has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TypeNirvash has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TypeNirvash has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TypeNirvash has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TypeNirvash has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by shesprints View Post
    Is this your boxing gym or your regular gym? That sounds like such an odd situation... I'm sorry. What a pain. Bleh. Finding a new gym sucks.

I can't believe you're doing such a deep cut. I can't--it wrecks my mood! Good luck with it though. At least it's short and fast. I prefer a slowwwww approach because it feels like I can sustain it and wait for my cut calories to become my new maintenance without too much struggle.

Re: boarding you know a lot of the guys at my BJJ gym hoverboard or skate, it's so good for balance. I sometimes see Marcelo or Hudson on their hoverboards outside. Surfing also has a big crossover culture with grappling. I suppose I can see why; some of the same thrill-seeking and timing challenges.
    It's my boxing gym

Yeah, it's sort of a weird situation. I've been on the fence about leaving for a while now, but the owner started showing some signs of trying to get the place back together so I stuck around. But I think it's time for me to go back to being a student, anyway.

Tbh love me a deep cut, my mood can get a little fukked, though. Actually, if I run PSMF for too long I tend to feel a little depressed. There's a point where you need to refeed every 4-5 days. I usually use it to transition into UD 2.0, and so in two weeks I'll finish off with that.

You know, the balance thing is real-deal. If not for my boxing footwork, I'd have fallen flat on my face, or landed on the back of my head a ton of times. But you're right; people who do fighting sports usually tend to like to aspire to new heights. For me, it's not so much the thrills;

I rode into the sunset on a California beach, and that was it for me. Here's a little slice of heaven:

We had just finished bar hopping, and it was pretty much my first time riding. I wasn't that good, and I couldn't do much, but riding into the sunset in Long Beach, CA is probably up there with my top 5 memories.
    Ubermensch: TypeNirvash's Journey To Physical and Mental Fortitude
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177236131

TypeNirvash has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TypeNirvash has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TypeNirvash has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TypeNirvash has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TypeNirvash has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TypeNirvash has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TypeNirvash has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TypeNirvash has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TypeNirvash has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TypeNirvash has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TypeNirvash has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Day 19

Morning started off very slow. I woke up, and sat down with a coffee for a little bit. Had a second cup, while I admired the beautiful weather outside.

It had begun to set in, that today was the end of an era in a lot of ways. I hadn't heard back from the owner of the gym after I had reached out to him yesterday. He made everyone aware of a problem, but did not provide to use the problem to allow us to create a solution. I think this is unfair for many reasons. But for me personally, the one that sticks out in my head the most is this:

I've done a lot for this gym. I give my time to students for free, and my classes provide a lot of retention as the schedule for the place is out of whack. I have created a group chat for the gym and will often give advice, drills, or video guidance on my spare time. I bring in amateur and professional sparring from other gyms, and have maintained connections with those gyms so that I can bring our team there when necessary.

I also run Sunday sparring sessions (normally), even when I am not actively participating.

I also replace/have replaced equipment that is broken and have provided my old gear to the gym.

I do all of this because I no longer had to pay tuition and had access to the gym 24/7.

I look at it like this; if you've been asked to give away the key, but were given no explanation, you've been told that you are no longer appreciated.

So I am choosing to cut my ties.

It's bitter sweet because I had invited a professional MMA fighter, one of his students, and a friend from NYC to train. I was hoping to create a new connection for the gym, and give us a new venue for work. So I kind of had to explain, at the end of the session when they asked when they could do it again, that I wasn't sure.

But I sure as hell made the most of it.

Closing a chapter on this era. I'm on the end in blue/white

It's bittersweet. Time to search for a new gym. I don't think I want to teach for a while. Just fight. Less drama, and more time to focus on my improvement.

Boxing:
    7 x 3 Minute Rounds Sparring

Got cracked in the head, and felt a shock run through my spine and my arm. Held it together, and finished the session. My brachial plexus isn't quite ready, but at least I can look like it is. Happy to be able to pretend I am completely in order.

Skate:
    2.5 Hours Ollie Practice

Went to skate in order to clear my head.

Ended up riding and practicing until sundown.

Day 21:

So yesterday I received a text from the owner of the boxing gym that just read "Adam come get your key", nothing else. No explanation, no nothing.

I haven't responded and am not sure I plan to say anything until I see him again. I feel like the way this was approached wasn't a way that was respectful to me. I still have to use facilities for the next month while my BJJ coach rents the space.

Anyhow:

Workout:
    Smith Bench: 225x10, 245x10, 245x10, 245x6
    Pull Ups: 10, 10 10, 8
    Chest Flyes: 140x10, 140x10, 140x10
    Back Flyes: 70x10, 70x10, 70x10
    Side Lateral Raise: 20x10, 20x10, 20x10
    Single Hand Lat Pull Down: 70x10, 70x10, 70x10

Shoulder still upset, but we are living with it.

also productivity tracker resumes next week!!!

Skate:
    30 Min ollie practice
    30 Min "Beibelhiemer" mount

The Beibelhiemer looks super easy up front, but is incredibly hard. Basically, you throw the board down and let it flip over as the curved part of the lip hits the ground. But the thing is, there's a way you're supposed to throw it to ensure that it happens properly... I'm still working on that, but I have gotten it to a point where I can get it to land right ~1/10 of the time. I want to get it to the same level as my running start mount which works ~9/10 of the time.

Full Disclosure:I tried to do this 10 times before I finally got this take. It is also supposed to land on the outside of my feet, and not the inside, so this is not technically a "success" but I worked with it.

N U T R I T I O N:
    1,324 kCal
    138g P
    70g CHO
    55g F
    Last edited by TypeNirvash; 07-03-2019 at 08:16 AM.

shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) shesprints has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    TBH trying something just ten times isn't that many. Any human skill, mental or physical, requires quite a lot of repetition. We're a bit better than machine learning programs and their hilarious errors based on small data sets, but we still need a lot of volume to complete a new task.

Did you figure out what was going on with your gym? It can't be something you specifically did wrong, since the guy asked for keys back from all the employees, you said, so what was it? My guess would be he's going out of business or doesn't have the funds to stay open and thus had to turn over even his own keys. That would be a shame, but it happens.

Nice lifting. Sorry about your shoulder. Still can't believe you're doing it on so few calories.
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
    --Hubert Humphrey

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170707741&p=1427864821#post1427864821

TBH trying something just ten times isn't that many. Any human skill, mental or physical, requires quite a lot of repetition. We're a bit better than machine learning programs and their hilarious errors based on small data sets, but we still need a lot of volume to complete a new task.

Did you figure out what was going on with your gym? It can't be something you specifically did wrong, since the guy asked for keys back from all the employees, you said, so what was it? My guess would be he's going out of business or doesn't have the funds to stay open and thus had to turn over even his own keys. That would be a shame, but it happens.

Nice lifting. Sorry about your shoulder. Still can't believe you're doing it on so few calories.
    Yeah, that's true--I spend tons of time repeating motions in skateboarding, boxing and BJJ so that when the time comes I can be ready to perform. But ten times is nothing in the grand scheme (you should see my phone's gallery, it's just hundreds of 4-5 minute videos of me attempting all this stuff over and over again).

Re: gym situation;

I dropped my key off on Sunday and reached out to the owner to let him know that it was behind the desk. I'd also reached out to him prior to being there on Sunday and Saturday. No response.

I reached out to all the students on Sunday to let them know I wouldn't be teaching classes going forward.

Monday, about an hour before class would have started I get a text that says "Adam come get your key."

No explanation, no nothing. No mention of what could have went wrong or anything.

Needless to say, I didn't show up to collect the key because it brought with it unnecessary drama. I'm way to busy in my life to add an extra layer of stress.

Shoulder is getting better day by day Gonna resume BJJ during the week.

Originally Posted by redraider86 View Post
    The first time I watched your "Beibelhiemer" mount I didn't really understand what I was watching. A few times later and yeah that looks super difficult. I would have killed myself many times over attempting such a thing!

In for productivity tracker updates. I'm doing my meal plan/meal prep for the week right now - let's do it!
    To be honest, it's sort of a weird throw! But I'm getting better at it just have to land it on a slight angle so it flips over but doing that consistently requires fine motor memory basically

Thanks for the motivation here! Gonna throw up a quick post for the weekend, but no specific days in particular

Days 22-25

4th of July weekend! I had Thursday/Friday off, so this weekend was a long one.

It actually meant that I could spend a ton of time focusing on skating and that's what I did.

I hit a leg and a full upper workout on Friday and Saturday respectively.

I managed to get some bag work in at NYSC, which is where I used to do all my training before I gained 24/7 access to the boxing gym. It has just enough equipment to get the job done.

I probably spent about 15-20 hours boarding, and a good portion of those hours were on Sunday (I was out from 1PM-7PM).

Also picked up some new skateboarding shoes because I finally tore through the old pair of converse I'd been using.

Believe it or not, they actually make a pretty big difference. I think a big portion of it is the extra rubber along the side/front.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

I managed to get through my first "line" on Sunday, and I'm using the term loosely, because it's basically just a beibelheimer and an Ollie. They're not necessarily "tricks" but I am happy that I was able to do them both in one take.

I also managed to start working on my first actual flip trick a few hours after the above video. I spent about 30 minutes practicing this trick with just the back foot on the board to understand the motion before getting on the board with both feet. After about an hour, I would say that this one was the closest I had ever come to landing a shove it.

Needless to say I was pretty tired by the time I had gotten home. And so I decided to break my PSMF for some Dominos. I had managed to stay the course during the 4th of July (if only barely scratching the surface of 60g CHO).
    Last edited by TypeNirvash; 07-08-2019 at 08:01 AM.

Good call cutting ties with that drama factory/gym. Bummer, though. You mentioned NYSC... wait, are you in New York??? If so, I might know of the BJJ gym you train at. Your brachial plexus thing is better? I'm going back to drilling tonight myself and I am experiencing an unholy amount of excitement. So I know how you feel.

I like that you went with slo-mo and music for your skateboarding videos. I've always been too scared of falling on concrete to try skating.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Good call cutting ties with that drama factory/gym. Bummer, though. You mentioned NYSC... wait, are you in New York??? If so, I might know of the BJJ gym you train at. Your brachial plexus thing is better? I'm going back to drilling tonight myself and I am experiencing an unholy amount of excitement. So I know how you feel.

I like that you went with slo-mo and music for your skateboarding videos. I've always been too scared of falling on concrete to try skating.
    Yeah! I am in NY, but not NYC! I go to NY United BJJ, Khyl Farrison teaches it. We're a brand new school. You're always welcome to swing through.

As far as the brachial plexus; it's better but still not healed. I still deal with intense "shock/tingle" sensations throughout the day, but not nearly as much as when it started. Also, pain doesn't linger as often. It's only there in the morning and at night.

This week I'm going to run up to Essential BJJ to work with one of my good friends who competes out of the gym.

Slow-mo and music are a necessity in the last video. I actually play music from the phone when I practice to keep me hyped... it's really easy to get discouraged after falling down 30 or 40 times. The music playing really does help. When I slowed it down it sounded terrible, so I just had to add something

Good luck out there tonight! I'm looking forward to see your log post and see what you drilled! You train in NYC right? Must be a really big community up there, and that's gotta be really cool to roll through to.

Tbh you have the potential to get hurt worse in BJJ and the most dangerous part of skateboarding is when you first step on. After that it's much easier going, I promise. Would recommend definitely getting a board to at least try! Tons of places to learn in NYC!

That's a good point. At least the skateboard isn't actively trying to throttle you or throw you to the ground. I've been trying regular surfing (in the ocean) and might branch out to skateboarding too, we'll see! Oh, and as for invites, listen, man, feel free to come in and try a class at Marcelo's sometime. It's a very nice place with a ton of friendly and skilled people. Plus, you could meet Marcelo. Your gym is only about a 45 minute drive out of the city, though, so once I'm healed up... and maybe a little less busy... I can see about swinging by.

Re: injury, there's better, and then there's ALL better. I don't know that in my entire athletic career I've felt 100% healthy at any given time. But I'm glad you're only getting occasional tingling and pain? I guess? Hope it keeps healing and BJJ training goes well.

Also, I updated my log with my notes on my own first drill class back. Mostly just glad I didn't reinjure myself. Whew.
    --Hubert Humphrey

That's a good point. At least the skateboard isn't actively trying to throttle you or throw you to the ground. I've been trying regular surfing (in the ocean) and might branch out to skateboarding too, we'll see! Oh, and as for invites, listen, man, feel free to come in and try a class at Marcelo's sometime. It's a very nice place with a ton of friendly and skilled people. Plus, you could meet Marcelo. Your gym is only about a 45 minute drive out of the city, though, so once I'm healed up... and maybe a little less busy... I can see about swinging by.

Re: injury, there's better, and then there's ALL better. I don't know that in my entire athletic career I've felt 100% healthy at any given time. But I'm glad you're only getting occasional tingling and pain? I guess? Hope it keeps healing and BJJ training goes well.

Also, I updated my log with my notes on my own first drill class back. Mostly just glad I didn't reinjure myself. Whew.
    I can attest to the fact that you will never be "at 100%" if you're doing any sort of competitive martial art unfortunately. This is where it gets a little bit strange, because while the best way to recover is to completely get out, there's a point where that also becomes detrimental to your progress. So the trick is to figure out when the injury is truly one that requires time away, or if it is something that you can train through.

at any given time I usually have about 3 minor injuries.

When I broke my right hand, it helped me evolve as a boxer because it taught me how to rely on my left. You can still train, but it's in a diminished capacity.

Where do you surf? I feel like that's a pretty damn cool hobby and I have always wanted to try but... I'll be honest with you, the reason I have never gotten on a surf board is because I am deathly afraid of sharks. I am afraid of 3 things, and sharks are one of them. So with that being said, I've always thought people who surfed were brave because they always respond in kind by saying something to the effect of "Actually, sharks don't really bother you when you're out there."

I've seen them. They're scary.

Also, yeah the board has been where I am channeling most of my energy right now because I know it "listens" to what I do, and for the most part, I am completely in control of it. Whereas, getting my shoulder torqued in BJJ is only at my control if I'm in control (if that makes sense). Just like the surf board, it won't hurt you unless you're doing something risky with it. Or you come across a shark.

I'll actually probably take you up on that one weekend as I continue to recover. My favorite part about martial arts and fighting is the openness with which gyms welcome additional work, and the ability to grow by seeing new techniques others do.

Day 26

Ah, Monday.

We have such a bittersweet relationship. On the one hand, it's a great day to hammer down and start up harder. On the other hand, it's the day that the week starts all over again.

Woke up feeling pretty alright, shoulder was sore, but that's become par for the course.

Hit a quick workout but when I got home, I was stricken by the impetus to write and instead of skating I actually managed to get about 1,300 words onto a page... When I write I have a lot going on in my head so I usually rush to get all my thoughts down and then organize them later... So that's what I did. Here's a link if you have an interest in reading my as of yet unedited, unorganized first 1,300 words or so. Like I said, it was just a matter of getting thoughts down on the page. I used to love to write so, this is kind of a big thing for me because it's very rare that I get anywhere with writing these days. Definitely very rusty though, and will have to clean up a lot.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...t?usp=drivesdk

Workout:
    Smith Bench: 225x10, 245x10, 265x10
    Pull Ups: 10, 10
    2 Finger Pull Ups: 8, 8
    Single Arm Lat Pull Downs: 70x10, 70x10, 100x6
    Machine Flyes: 160x10, 180x10, 190x10
    Side Lateral Raise: 20x10, 20x10, 10x15, 10x10
    Machine back Flyes: 70x10, 70x10, 70x10

N U T R I T I O N:
    1,500 kCal
    177g P
    78g F
    55g CHO

Woah... This is the first time I came close to my protein goal... But fat was slightly high for this protocol. Oh well
    Last edited by TypeNirvash; 07-09-2019 at 08:38 AM.

Day 27:

Feigning for crunch all day. Found my way to some pork rinds and concocted "almost nachos".

Pork rinds confirmed great cut snack.

However, I'm way up in calories, so I guess this turned into keto and not psmf. But I'm finally hitting protein goals....

Workout:
    Smith Squats: 245x10, 265x10, 285x10, 285x10
    Leg Press: 360x10, 420x10, 420x10, 420x10
    Leg Extensions: 130x10, 160x10, 160x10
    Hamstring Curls: 85x10, 85x10, 85x10
    Calf Raises (Smith Bar): 135x15, 155x20, 155x25, 155x40

Skate:
    30 Min Kicks/Riding
    1 Hour Ollie Practice
    30 Min Shove-It Practice

I'm going to spare you the length of these videos, but I take about 12 5-8 minute videos every time I practice of me just doing the same motion over and over and over again.

I'm going to compile them and speed them up when I can finally start doing these tricks without issue so I can montage them.

... I just counted over 4 hours of footage.

Nutrition:
    1,930 kCal
    206g P
    105g F
    56g CHO

Almost Nachos
    Spoiler!

Day 28:

Rest day!

Trying to work on dialing in these calories. Going to the beach Saturday so I will, for the next two days, amp this defecit up.

N U T R I T I O N
    1,520 kCal
    189g P
    87g CHO
    53g F

CHO higher than PSMF allows but the SO was stressed about her upcoming pharmacy law exam on Friday so I took her out to dinner and did what I could to help her relax.

Looking at 7/11 as a day to keep as low as possible and have some ideas about how to do it. Going to run through the day on just protein shakes because I hate myself and want to have a really bad time

In all honesty, I am slightly upset with myself because I ran a fantastic cut through March, and ended up looking great. I don't feel like I look anywhere near what I did in March, so I'm going a little harder just so I can finish off the summer at maintenance before I start my bulk in September.

Shoulder Update:

While the pain is pretty much non-existent except for in the AM and at night, I still get very intense "tingling shock" sensations in certain positions. I find that bending the arm at a 90 degree angle and holding it slightly askew is the position it occurs the most. This is followed by any position that is slightly above shoulder level.

I have not lost any strength.

I can also still move the arm as I please. The tingling shock sensation does not prevent movement, it is just very uncomfortable.

I do notice a very distinct discomfort during pull ups at the very bottom of the motion when I am in a dead hang state.
    Last edited by TypeNirvash; 07-11-2019 at 07:38 AM.

OKAY let's try commenting one more time.

I think that treating your SO well is of supreme importance, far more so than any cut, and I am certain she appreciated you taking her to dinner. (I'm relaxing my own habitual diet for my girlfriend's birthday in August... this stuff happens, rather have good memories than abs tbh). Besides, you're injured; you can't expect your physique to be 100% when you aren't training as consistently or hard. Also... do you find that on low carb your muscles get flat? That could be a part of it.

Your pain sounds like nerve pain to me. Pinched nerve or impingement. Not sure what to do for that tbh, not an expert.

I commented earlier on your writing: I think any writing is good, and letting go of expectations for first drafts is the best. You have a great sense of setting and a strong voice. Any plans for the story or just messing around? When I write I don't always know plot, but I know what theme I want to explore, if that makes sense.

Oh, and to answer your earlier question, I'm a total surfing noob and am awful at it, but I tag along with some BJJ friends who are trying to learn how to surf as well. We all think it'll help our BJJ because of balance, timing, etc. Paul Schreiner from our gym (co-head instructor with Marcelo) was a surfer, too.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Dialing in as in cutting cals more? I know I gave you chit before for fasting, but have you ever considered doing an extended fast (longer than 24 hours) but increasing calories significantly on your refeed days? I'm playing around with some fasting for autophagy stuff right now.

Such a thoughtful thing to do. Doesn't matter how much I love to cook, there is something so de-stressing about going out to dinner.

What kind of protein do you use?
    I have played with the concept of deeper fasting/refeeds when I was a bit leaner. It does work to a point, when you're sub 10%, and I am definitely toying with the idea. I might actually refeed on Friday to see what that does now that I think about it.

Yeah, I think there really is something to just going out and letting somebody bring you food that's kind of relaxing. Plus, it was nice to give her a break and she really appreciated that. We're also going to the beach tomorrow so that's going to be really nice.

>.> Oh wait, that's it. I know what I will do tomorrow... I'll run full glycogen depletion UD 2.0 style and then refeed. I know, I know, I'm all over the place. But this chit really is a nice little trick to looking much leaner.

I'm ashamed to admit it but I have been buying fairlife RTDs and then also use a muscle milk powder I picked up on the low low.

OKAY let's try commenting one more time.

I think that treating your SO well is of supreme importance, far more so than any cut, and I am certain she appreciated you taking her to dinner. (I'm relaxing my own habitual diet for my girlfriend's birthday in August... this stuff happens, rather have good memories than abs tbh). Besides, you're injured; you can't expect your physique to be 100% when you aren't training as consistently or hard. Also... do you find that on low carb your muscles get flat? That could be a part of it.

Your pain sounds like nerve pain to me. Pinched nerve or impingement. Not sure what to do for that tbh, not an expert.

I commented earlier on your writing: I think any writing is good, and letting go of expectations for first drafts is the best. You have a great sense of setting and a strong voice. Any plans for the story or just messing around? When I write I don't always know plot, but I know what theme I want to explore, if that makes sense.

Oh, and to answer your earlier question, I'm a total surfing noob and am awful at it, but I tag along with some BJJ friends who are trying to learn how to surf as well. We all think it'll help our BJJ because of balance, timing, etc. Paul Schreiner from our gym (co-head instructor with Marcelo) was a surfer, too.
    It's all good! It happens!

I agree--good memories > abs. Always, every time. But also, if you can have both it's worth it.

And that's the thing, I'm injured but I am not out of commission. One of my best traits, which also happens to be one of my worst traits is that I never know when to quit. If I can find a way to make it work I totally will.

And since strength is still there and mobility is there I'll probably keep pushing it unless I have to stop.

Also I appreciate you taking the time to sit and read what I wrote--that means a lot to me. I don't have any plans, I'm not trying to get ahead of myself yet. BUT if you also write and would like to send me some of your material some time I'd be interested in reading it. The way you write seems similar to the way I write--I am loosely basing this excerpt of of a recent visit to Amboy, CA. In fact, I wanted to represent the last breaths of a dying town and the desperation of the people living in it. I wanted to craft characters that I loved so that I could help others to love them. I wanted to make people who were flawed so others could relate, and ultimately, I did have a theme in mind but no ending in mind.

Also re: surfing;

I think it's really cool that instead of doing something like a balance board, you're learning a new hobby. TBH anything that can be cross trained into another activity is always worth doing and that's why surfing/skating work so well with the balance. They're fun, and there's no harm in having a good time

Also it's great you go in a group...

because you don't have to outswim the shark, just the slowest member of the group

You go to NY beaches or NJ beaches? I just can't stand NY beaches... So crowded.

Originally Posted by TypeNirvash View Post
    It's all good! It happens!

I agree--good memories > abs. Always, every time. But also, if you can have both it's worth it.
    Yeah, I've never had abs, so I guess I don't know the true joy. In my case I actually think the muscles aren't developed enough (super weak core! Working on it!)... and also I'm fat. Well. Not fat. But compared to you, yes.

And that's the thing, I'm injured but I am not out of commission. One of my best traits, which also happens to be one of my worst traits is that I never know when to quit. If I can find a way to make it work I totally will.

And since strength is still there and mobility is there I'll probably keep pushing it unless I have to stop.
    Dude, this is why I think we get along--I'm exactly the same way. That's why I had to take 6 weeks off BJJ. My knee originally got injured in January, I took only a short break and ignored the pain, and it took literally not being able to bend it to make me stop. I think people like us make pretty good athletes... but also frequently injured ones. I know my main strength as a competitive runner was that no amount of pain would get me to slow down. I wound up with three femoral stress fractures in a row and had to quit running (I learned I had a hip malformation that meant I would just keep fracturing my femur if I kept training at a high level and I didn't think it was worth it to train at any level other than high).

Also I appreciate you taking the time to sit and read what I wrote--that means a lot to me. I don't have any plans, I'm not trying to get ahead of myself yet. BUT if you also write and would like to send me some of your material some time I'd be interested in reading it. The way you write seems similar to the way I write--I am loosely basing this excerpt of of a recent visit to Amboy, CA. In fact, I wanted to represent the last breaths of a dying town and the desperation of the people living in it. I wanted to craft characters that I loved so that I could help others to love them. I wanted to make people who were flawed so others could relate, and ultimately, I did have a theme in mind but no ending in mind.
    Wow, that sounds really interesting, tbh! Have you read any Richard Russo? I've met him--and read his stuff--great author, and your voice and theme reminds me of him a little. I'd recommend his book Mohawk if you haven't already read it.

I need to start gearing up for graduate school (I'm doing a creative writing program in September), so I'll send you stuff when I start writing it. Actually, funny story: the reason I found BJJ was through research for a story I was writing at the time. It was about a wrestler, and I thought I needed hands-on experience. Obviously, it spiraled way out of control and turned into the new passion of my life, but writing's funny that way, isn't it? If you'd like, I can send you the excerpt of that story that got me into grad school. My idee fixe--one that still obsesses me--is why some people are obsessed with a sport or a physical pursuit, and how we react to our own fragility and mortality through the lens of things like injuries, etc. I'm also fascinated by the psychological aspects of combat sport--the domination of others' wills and what it means to defeat someone. I may not continue the story I started--I want to write about women more, instead, and my protagonist was male--but I like the themes I explored in it.

Re: surfing, that was the reason I wanted to try it. My brown belt mentor at the gym agrees with you and thinks that it is way better to do a real activity/sport than random training. I do still lift, but even so, I incorporate a lot more calisthenics and body movements than I used to, and try to do more activities for fun like climb trees, etc.
    --Hubert Humphrey

arkona4trek is a name known to all. (+5000) arkona4trek is a name known to all. (+5000) arkona4trek is a name known to all. (+5000) arkona4trek is a name known to all. (+5000) arkona4trek is a name known to all. (+5000) arkona4trek is a name known to all. (+5000) arkona4trek is a name known to all. (+5000) arkona4trek is a name known to all. (+5000) arkona4trek is a name known to all. (+5000) arkona4trek is a name known to all. (+5000) arkona4trek is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hey man, glad that your cut is going well and that your shoulder is getting better.

Also, I agree with shesprings, having goal is important but being flexible is also good especially since we are not professional and not living with our bodies. So having some good social time here and there even if it blows up a bit the macro is no big deal.

Also take into account that in order to heal properly your body needs the energy so don't cut to harsh in order to let your shoulder heal.

Wish you well bro and take care

Been trying to post ITT all weekend but getting 404 errors so here goes nothing!

Originally Posted by arkona4trek View Post
    Hey man, glad that your cut is going well and that your shoulder is getting better.

Also, I agree with shesprings, having goal is important but being flexible is also good especially since we are not professional and not living with our bodies. So having some good social time here and there even if it blows up a bit the macro is no big deal.

Also take into account that in order to heal properly your body needs the energy so don't cut to harsh in order to let your shoulder heal.

Wish you well bro and take care
    Hey brah

Thanks for checking in! You're definitely right; considering that the only "payment" I get from all this is personal satisfaction, I should probably be a little more careful. But that being said, I really get antsy when I'm not doing anything so even when I'm injured I try to occupy myself somehow.

But that being said, I am beginning to notice a little less severity in the "shock" sensation I get in the shoulder and so I can tell I am beginning to recover more completely.

How have you been doing brah?

Yeah, I've never had abs, so I guess I don't know the true joy. In my case I actually think the muscles aren't developed enough (super weak core! Working on it!)... and also I'm fat. Well. Not fat. But compared to you, yes.

Dude, this is why I think we get along--I'm exactly the same way. That's why I had to take 6 weeks off BJJ. My knee originally got injured in January, I took only a short break and ignored the pain, and it took literally not being able to bend it to make me stop. I think people like us make pretty good athletes... but also frequently injured ones. I know my main strength as a competitive runner was that no amount of pain would get me to slow down. I wound up with three femoral stress fractures in a row and had to quit running (I learned I had a hip malformation that meant I would just keep fracturing my femur if I kept training at a high level and I didn't think it was worth it to train at any level other than high).

Wow, that sounds really interesting, tbh! Have you read any Richard Russo? I've met him--and read his stuff--great author, and your voice and theme reminds me of him a little. I'd recommend his book Mohawk if you haven't already read it.

I need to start gearing up for graduate school (I'm doing a creative writing program in September), so I'll send you stuff when I start writing it. Actually, funny story: the reason I found BJJ was through research for a story I was writing at the time. It was about a wrestler, and I thought I needed hands-on experience. Obviously, it spiraled way out of control and turned into the new passion of my life, but writing's funny that way, isn't it? If you'd like, I can send you the excerpt of that story that got me into grad school. My idee fixe--one that still obsesses me--is why some people are obsessed with a sport or a physical pursuit, and how we react to our own fragility and mortality through the lens of things like injuries, etc. I'm also fascinated by the psychological aspects of combat sport--the domination of others' wills and what it means to defeat someone. I may not continue the story I started--I want to write about women more, instead, and my protagonist was male--but I like the themes I explored in it.

Re: surfing, that was the reason I wanted to try it. My brown belt mentor at the gym agrees with you and thinks that it is way better to do a real activity/sport than random training. I do still lift, but even so, I incorporate a lot more calisthenics and body movements than I used to, and try to do more activities for fun like climb trees, etc.
    Re: abs; they're a weak point for me in all honesty. As you'll notice, there is a distinct lack of direct ab work in my routine and I need to improve that. Fortunately, I did do a lot of direct ab work when I first started training (and throughout my life) so I have a little bit of development. But somewhere along the way I fell into the "abs are made in the kitchen" fallacy, wherein the thought process is that they don't matter until you start cutting... And that's not how it works.

But there is no sense in fretting this until my next bulk so I am just going to ease into adding abs back in.

I need a new book, so I'm definitely interested in checking out Mohawk. Since it's Prime Day today, maybe I'll see if I can order a copy thanks for shooting that suggestion over to me!

Also, please send me an excerpt from what you've written--or at least anything you feel comfortable sending; it sounds interesting and I'd be happy to see what your style is like. I didn't know that you were studying writing and language, that's really awesome. I'm certain you've probably got some really good chops and techniques

Days 29-31

Okay, okay, so I know I said I wasn't going back.

Owner of the gym and I are friends on social media. I saw that his father had passed away on Friday and reached out to offer my condolences. During the conversation he mentioned that he really needed help around the gym and asked me if there was anything he could do in order to keep me around.

Ultimately, I'll be resuming my Monday/Wednesday classes and doing Sunday classes as well (basically about 5 hours a week). Anything beyond that I've asked to be compensated for via 1 on 1 training or monetary compensation. We are negotiating this currently, but I expect to know more tonight.

I ended up running through some boxing drills on Friday, and have a video (but will have to wait until YT will let me upload) so I will post that later tonight.

Saturday/Sunday consisted of me relaxing at the beach. I didn't track macros and I decided to loosen up on the diet.

Physique Update:

6/12/19: Before

7/14/19: After

So I would say that even through the injury and reduced training frequency, the cut has worked out well... Muscles were super flat (and still are a bit), but I will run a final two weeks of UD 2.0 then move into maintenance.
    Last edited by TypeNirvash; 07-15-2019 at 08:02 AM.

I realize this wasn't aimed at me, but Cape May Crew for life. The classy shore. Good waves and very Cape Cod feeling.

Very sad news about the family tragedy, but it sounds like this could be a decent resolution.

Strong before and after pics! I'm surprised that's what you've accomplished in a month, very well done.
    I've never been to Cape May but I might have to give it a visit in the coming weeks now that I'm exploring NJ.

Yeah, it's always upsetting to hear about deaths in the family and I felt terrible ending on the note we did with this hanging over everything.

Looking at it now, I'm also leaving a lot of cash on the table considering the rates we charge for privates and I might consider starting to really bite into that.

That's what a month of ridiculously low caloric intake does for you Tbh the refeed this weekend was a huge boon, because I genuinely looked fragile up until then.

Dang, you look really good! Actually, your arms and shoulders still look big. Good job. Gosh, that's actually quite motivating.

So the owner of the gym was just MIA because of his father's death? that sucks, but it's a pretty valid excuse. You're probably justified in giving the gym another chance, especially since you know people there and have worked hard to build programming there. Do I understand you right that you work there for five hours a week just to have access to the gym? You don't earn any money unless you go above that? I may just be lazy and not reading back. I think I really don't understand the economics of small gyms.

Honestly, in for whatever you decide to add for your ab training. I'm always trying to rotate more stuff into my program.

OK, I'm gonna send you the writing sample I sent to grad schools. Hope it's not too long for you, no pressure to read it obviously.
    --Hubert Humphrey

arkona4trek is a name known to all. (+5000) arkona4trek is a name known to all. (+5000) arkona4trek is a name known to all. (+5000) arkona4trek is a name known to all. (+5000) arkona4trek is a name known to all. (+5000) arkona4trek is a name known to all. (+5000) arkona4trek is a name known to all. (+5000) arkona4trek is a name known to all. (+5000) arkona4trek is a name known to all. (+5000) arkona4trek is a name known to all. (+5000) arkona4trek is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hey brah

Thanks for checking in! You're definitely right; considering that the only "payment" I get from all this is personal satisfaction, I should probably be a little more careful. But that being said, I really get antsy when I'm not doing anything so even when I'm injured I try to occupy myself somehow.

But that being said, I am beginning to notice a little less severity in the "shock" sensation I get in the shoulder and so I can tell I am beginning to recover more completely.

How have you been doing brah?
    Your welcome, it is always nice to read your log and follow your journey my friend.

Glad to hear that the shoulder is getting better.

Lot of work lately which got me very tired so I did only 3 trainings session for 2 weeks but I'm back on schedule with 4 training a week, will try to get this 3 plates squat for reps lol, I'm at 130kg for 5 atm, will see where I can go. I'm not the best athletic guy but try my best ^^

Days 29-31

Okay, okay, so I know I said I wasn't going back.

Owner of the gym and I are friends on social media. I saw that his father had passed away on Friday and reached out to offer my condolences. During the conversation he mentioned that he really needed help around the gym and asked me if there was anything he could do in order to keep me around.

Ultimately, I'll be resuming my Monday/Wednesday classes and doing Sunday classes as well (basically about 5 hours a week). Anything beyond that I've asked to be compensated for via 1 on 1 training or monetary compensation. We are negotiating this currently, but I expect to know more tonight.

I ended up running through some boxing drills on Friday, and have a video (but will have to wait until YT will let me upload) so I will post that later tonight.

Saturday/Sunday consisted of me relaxing at the beach. I didn't track macros and I decided to loosen up on the diet.

Physique Update:

6/12/19: Before

7/14/19: After

So I would say that even through the injury and reduced training frequency, the cut has worked out well... Muscles were super flat (and still are a bit), but I will run a final two weeks of UD 2.0 then move into maintenance.
    You got yourself an awesome physique man (no homo) everything is well proportionate and the lats popping out are top notch.

Have a nice week

🥋 A Karate Kid age 60 Samraiwise's Avatar
    Samraiwise has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Samraiwise has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Samraiwise has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Samraiwise has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Samraiwise has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Samraiwise has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Samraiwise has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Samraiwise has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Samraiwise has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Samraiwise has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Samraiwise has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hey Adam, are you alright?

Spoiler!

You are a great inspiration to us all, so just be careful.
    Last edited by Samraiwise; 07-17-2019 at 07:31 AM.
    ⭐ Samurai Break: 140kg(308lb) Failed Bench Press Recovery Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8eIkpZ29u0
    ⭐ Over 35 Training Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4832373
    📌 Please Call me Kaz, a 60-year-old 🥋 Karate Kid in Tokyo.

Dang, you look really good! Actually, your arms and shoulders still look big. Good job. Gosh, that's actually quite motivating.

So the owner of the gym was just MIA because of his father's death? that sucks, but it's a pretty valid excuse. You're probably justified in giving the gym another chance, especially since you know people there and have worked hard to build programming there. Do I understand you right that you work there for five hours a week just to have access to the gym? You don't earn any money unless you go above that? I may just be lazy and not reading back. I think I really don't understand the economics of small gyms.

Honestly, in for whatever you decide to add for your ab training. I'm always trying to rotate more stuff into my program.

OK, I'm gonna send you the writing sample I sent to grad schools. Hope it's not too long for you, no pressure to read it obviously.
    Honestly, a big part of the reason why I run these deep cuts is so that I can get back to a state of surplus for a slightly more extended period of time without having to worry too much about losing muscle during the cut (even though I likely will). Still, I really appreciate the kind words! I have spent many years trying to build up to this, and sometimes it is nice to know that I have actually gotten somewhere since starting

You're absolutely right; I give out my time for access to facilities whenever I need. However, I am beginning to renegotiate that relationship in favor of some sort of return on investment. After that whole ordeal, I re-evaluate my position on my ROI, and realized I give a lot to the gym but don't make use of what I get back. I am considering beginning to use my 24/7 access to do private sessions or something.

Also really loved what you wrote, if you couldn't tell. I just wanted to say that again, it was absolutely fantastic and you struck gold for sure

Originally Posted by arkona4trek View Post
    Your welcome, it is always nice to read your log and follow your journey my friend.

Glad to hear that the shoulder is getting better.

Lot of work lately which got me very tired so I did only 3 trainings session for 2 weeks but I'm back on schedule with 4 training a week, will try to get this 3 plates squat for reps lol, I'm at 130kg for 5 atm, will see where I can go. I'm not the best athletic guy but try my best ^^

You got yourself an awesome physique man (no homo) everything is well proportionate and the lats popping out are top notch.

Have a nice week
    130kg is actually pretty damn good! What is your overload looking like on this? I wouldn't mind helping you figure out some programming stuff to see if we could close you in on a 3 plate squat efficiently

Also, 100% life comes before the gym. Gym's a hobby, and you still look better than 98% of the population, so don't fret the odd week off.

Appreciate the compliments on the physique I sometimes nitpick myself about proportions so it is very nice to know somebody thinks I am proportionate! Honestly, I used to not have lats so it's really nice to know they're coming along too!

Originally Posted by Samraiwise View Post
    Hey Adam, are you alright?

Spoiler!

You are a great inspiration to us all, so just be careful.
    Kaz,

I want you to know that I read through everything you wrote. And I'm taking it to heart. There's a part of me that's absolutely reckless, and wants to keep going no matter what. It's the loudest part of my mind, and it's the part that I usually listen to.

I've spent a little bit of time winding down the training, and haven't really been boxing or doing BJJ as much or as hard because of the injury.

However, I have noticed a marked improvement. The sensation that runs through my arm when I change positions has begun to happen more rarely, and less severely. The pain is localized behind my shoulder blade lately, but is only really annoying (at best) most of the day. I do feel moderate discomfort when I awaken and when I go to sleep.

But it's getting better.

And I'm really itching to do something. It's hard for me to stay on the sidelines, because I keep telling myself I am going to be back in the game soon. But I'm sticking to them, at least for the more high impact stuff.

I am still lifting (and I'll have a post up in a few describing what I'll be doing for the last leg of this cut).

Also, just want you to know that you inspire me to be better and I think you're an awesome dude. Speaking of... just picked back up my guitar last night for the first time. Made me think, Kaz would be happy to hear that.

Day 32

Honestly, jumping into UD 2.0 is always very tough. Especially because the calories are low and the lifting sessions are geared toward glycogen depletion. It's a small benefit but I really like a cut/refeed schedule and I normally finish off my cuts with 1-2 weeks of this routine as it tends to work out with social gatherings (being that they are all on the weekend).

So outlining the schedule it looks something like this for me;

Monday: Off
    Tuesday Depletion workout
    Wednesday Depletion workout 2
    Thursday: Baby Workout (only 2 sets of everything)
    Friday: rest/refeed
    Saturday: Power Workout
    Sunday: Off

In total there are about 4 workouts scheduled. The first two are full body depletion workouts with light weight. There are two workouts per muscle group at 6 sets of 15 reps each. I typically run through all six sets in one go, but that didn't happen on Tuesday. I had to split it into 3 sets of 15 twice.

On Thursday, I put the finishing touches on everything (and usually you're fatigued enough that the workout is light anyway), and run through about 2 sets of each of the Big 4 and one accessory for every muscle group.

On Friday, I refeed at 8g CHO/lb and then rest.

On Saturday, I wake up full and rested, and hit the Big 4 lifts at sets of 1-3. I do not hit 1RM, but come about 85-90% of it. I also run through sets of 5 for all accessories.

Sunday is a rest day.

N U T R I T I O N:
    1,115 kCal
    120g P
    20g CHO
    30g F

Day 33

First depletion workout.

Absolutely unpleasant! But the whole point of UD 2.0 is to feel a little unpleasant as you run it. The first time I ever ran this protocol I left the gym, walked down the hall, and ended up yakking my brains out in the bathroom for at least a half hour.

The combination of very low caloric intake/low CHO + endurance training is a formidable foe.

But I have been training like this since around 2014

At this point I have run UD 2.0 enough times that I have tweaked it to work for me, and I'm used to the depth of the cut. I no longer feel the sickly vomit inducing dizziness that a depletion workout normally results in, but I definitely still feel uncomfortable during the sessions.

Lightheadedness is common, and seeing stars after a run through pull ups happens from time to time. Thankfully, it's only a 4-day cut.

Workout: All exercises performed 1 after the other with no breaks until 3 sets of 15 are completed.

All circuits performed twice

Quad Circuit:
    Leg Press (400lb): 3 sets of 15
    Leg Extensions (130lb): 3 sets of 15

Hamstring/Calf Circuit:

Hamstring Curls (85lbs): 3 sets of 15
    Calf Extensions (225lbs) 3 sets of 25

Chest/Back Circuit:
    Chest Press (Machine)(180lbs): 3 sets of 15
    Machine Flyes (130lbs): 3 sets of 15
    Lat Pulldown (100lbs): 3 sets of 15
    Machine Back Flyes (70lbs): 3 sets of 15

Shoulder Circuit:

Side Lateral Raise: 15x12 (kept very light so as not to irritate shoulder; performed this set about three times and left it at that).

N U T R I T I O N:
    So we're about 400 Calories higher than the goal for UD 2.0
    1870 kCal
    117g P
    55g CHO
    86g F

We're also about 60-70g lower on protein than I should be so I am going to continue to adjust until I hit properly today.

Day 34:

So we're a little up on calories, but since the workouts are a little more intense, it almost feels like I'm on less calories.

Gonna be honest, I did not make it through the entire workout because of time constraints and fatigue.

But that should be alright, if I keep the calories low on Thursday.

Workout:

All exercises performed 1 after the other with no breaks until 4-5 sets of 15 are completed.

All circuits performed once

Quad Circuit:

Leg Press (400lb):sets of 15
    Leg Extensions (130lb): 6 sets of 15

Hamstring/Calf Circuit:

Hamstring Curls (85lbs): 4 sets of 15
    Calf Extensions (225lbs): 4 sets of 25

Chest/Back Circuit:

Chest Press (Machine)(180lbs): 5 sets of 15
    Machine Flyes (130lbs): 5 sets of 15
    Lat Pulldown (100lbs): 4 sets of 15
    Machine Back Flyes (70lbs): 4 sets of 15

Shoulder Circuit:

Side Lateral Raise: 15x12 (4 sets)

Kept all weights the same but holy chit I felt fatigued. This is usually what day 2 of this is like.

Feeling pretty lean right now. Will probably be flat-ish until Friday's refeed. Tempting to take a before/after of the refeed on Friday next week when I've been a bit more strict.

N U T R I T I O N
    2057 kCal
    173g P
    103g CHO
    70g F

Man, those are still some pretty low calories. I wouldn't be surprised if your injury starts feeling better once you come off of this cut. I used to do what you're doing--tolerate the dizziness and weakness during workouts--and lately I've just decided I can't do it, not unless it's for some goal like cutting for a big tournament. I see you're keeping the weight pretty light on the workout, at least? High reps to deplete makes sense. Do you think your strength will be the same post-cut as it was before?

Thanks again for the feedback on the story fragment. Very kind of you. I hope you were indeed able to get some writing of your own done, as well, and feel free to share it. I keep trying to formulate a response to your PM, and I can't quite think of how to explain my story choices, which probably means I need to consider them more.

When are you going back to boxing/BJJ?
    --Hubert Humphrey

Man, those are still some pretty low calories. I wouldn't be surprised if your injury starts feeling better once you come off of this cut. I used to do what you're doing--tolerate the dizziness and weakness during workouts--and lately I've just decided I can't do it, not unless it's for some goal like cutting for a big tournament. I see you're keeping the weight pretty light on the workout, at least? High reps to deplete makes sense. Do you think your strength will be the same post-cut as it was before?

Thanks again for the feedback on the story fragment. Very kind of you. I hope you were indeed able to get some writing of your own done, as well, and feel free to share it. I keep trying to formulate a response to your PM, and I can't quite think of how to explain my story choices, which probably means I need to consider them more.

When are you going back to boxing/BJJ?
    Yeah, I'm thinking that after next week I will be spending some time reverse dieting back up and recovery time should decrease as the calories increase. That, and I believe the refeed might be helpful.

Strength wise, I usually run through UD 2.0 on the deeper cuts in order to preserve 1RMs. The large refeed tends to do a lot to help that.

100%, I think you might be right about that. A big part of explaining your story is understanding why your story happened and what the characters did (and how that aligns with who they are). I think, in a way, you have to know them like a parent knows their children. You must understand why they behave like they do, because you are the one who raised them. so sometimes it is hard because if you write off the cuff and revise later, some things just emerge that you may not be able to explain in the context of what you originally believed the character should be like and what the character has evolved to become.

But truth be told, I think the biggest reason why you may have trouble explaining the story choices is that you spend so much time away from it. Things like minor plot hooks, and little sprinkles of loving decisions you have made for your characters to build them for the reader get forgotten.

I will be starting BJJ again on Sunday. I actually coached boxing last night. But just coached, I didn't particularly do anything. I did, however, do a few rounds of bag work last weekend. Been trying to upload footage on YT so I can post but it just isn't letting me

Will throw it into the log soon