Thread: Power loss...

ElliotPWR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Power loss...

Hi.

So lately, when performing squats, I’ve felt a HUGE power loss after my second/third rep, at weights I should easily be able to do even though I took a break of 2 weeks.

What should I do to motivate myself, is it possible it’s low t?

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Give more info. How much did you do before the break, how many workouts have you done since the break, why would you lose motivation during the set, why do you think you may have low testosterone, etc?

It takes me a couple of workouts to get back to where I was after a 2 week break.

I’ve done 3 squat workouts since the break (in one week). I was easily able to do 90kg x5 before (could probably do 100x5) and now I struggle with 80x5, and only being able to do 3 reps on last set (3 sets).

I only struggle in squats, not regular upper body lifts. Maybe my music is bad? I listen to the same all the time pretty much.

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    You honestly think listening to bad music is causing you to be weaker? Is that a joke?

If your upper body lifts are progressing then you may just need to give it time for the squat to catch back up. If you could take a video of a full set and post it that would be helpful.

HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeMB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    You honestly think listening to bad music is causing you to be weaker? Is that a joke?
    it may see like one, though music can affect a workout for sure, lol.

If there's some crappy mainstream pops going on I may yawn.

Put some heavy metal instead and PR's are coming

I’ll do that on wednesday. But yeah maybe. Something is making me weak, making me ”give up” mid-set while I should be able to lift the weight.

Definitely mainstream pop and it kinda makes me yayn. Got a good playlist I can use for my next workout?

my non-edited 'before'pic etet1919's Avatar
    etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Like Heisman said, even a one week break can temporarily reduce your cadence. You'll get it back...just stop envisioning "losing power," make sure you're breathing deeply before and correctly, during your sets. Focus on the power you will get back once you keep plugging away...

Oh, and "Face the Pain" (the first recorded version) by Stemm (from the UFC) gets me fired up every time...Sometimes too much.
    Fact: My first-generation uncle was a boxer who fought Sugar Ray Robinson! He also fought in the war, sacrificing the career he deeply loved, so people could have the right to freedom.

Let's show RESPECT for the POLICE and ALL FIRST RESPONDERS by helping to keep THEM SAFE AND SOUND, and thereby able to PROTECT US!

LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ElliotPWR View Post
    Definitely mainstream pop and it kinda makes me yayn. Got a good playlist I can use for my next workout?
    Whatever music you include in your gym playlist, the opening song before hitting the iron should always be "Welcome to the Jungle" by GunsnRoses imo
    As to your posted issue, OP, I think previous posts have it covered; that is, the squat is a much larger, demanding movement than any upper body movement and it's not uncommon to take several sessions to get back in the groove after a bit of a break.

Yeah I really hope it’s just temporary and mentally. Because I’m pretty sure I read that muscle mass doesn’t break down that fast :P.

Petey1832 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Petey1832 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Petey1832 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Petey1832 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Petey1832 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Petey1832 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Petey1832 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Petey1832 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Petey1832 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Petey1832 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Petey1832 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Muscle can atrophy (breakdown) significantly in 10 days if someone is on bed rest. So it can, in fact, breakdown quite rapidly. However, if you were remaining somewhat active and not on pure bed rest, it's not likely that your muscle mass atrophied significantly. BUT, if you weren't stimulating and stressing your muscles to the extent that you were previously, they will lose strength and power output. Most of this doesn't come from structural change, but neural adaptations. Just as when someone is starting to lift and train for the first time, they are able to make rapid and significant strength gains due to neural adaptations, the opposite is also true. So as others have said, just keep at it and if it is still this way in a couple of weeks then it might be time to re-evaluate and dive a little deeper.

Happy squatting!
    Andrew Peterson, CPT

Exercise Science, B.S.
    Doctorate of Physical Therapy Student