Want to be stronger. TallStrongNerdy's Avatar
    TallStrongNerdy is just really nice. (+1000) TallStrongNerdy is just really nice. (+1000) TallStrongNerdy is just really nice. (+1000) TallStrongNerdy is just really nice. (+1000) TallStrongNerdy is just really nice. (+1000) TallStrongNerdy is just really nice. (+1000) TallStrongNerdy is just really nice. (+1000) TallStrongNerdy is just really nice. (+1000) TallStrongNerdy is just really nice. (+1000) TallStrongNerdy is just really nice. (+1000) TallStrongNerdy is just really nice. (+1000)

Supplements on Keto, sharing thread.

A few weeks deep into keto, supplements seem to have kept the keto flu away, just wanted to share what I’m taking per day and wondered if anyone could recommend anything else.

Daily
    Multivitamin
    Creatine Mono
    Vitamin C
    Vitamin D

3x a day with meals
    Potassium Gluconate
    CMZ(Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc)
    Fish Oil

Anyone have any others they might add? Seems to be working for me so far.

Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Potatoes, bell pepper, spinach, kale, oats, bananas... oh, nevermind.
    ~ Feel free to PM me if you have any questions ~

" As mind ~ as matter "

KetoBob is not very helpful. (-500) KetoBob is not very helpful. (-500) KetoBob is not very helpful. (-500) KetoBob is not very helpful. (-500) KetoBob is not very helpful. (-500) KetoBob is not very helpful. (-500) KetoBob is not very helpful. (-500) KetoBob is not very helpful. (-500) KetoBob is not very helpful. (-500) KetoBob is not very helpful. (-500) KetoBob is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by TallStrongNerdy View Post
    A few weeks deep into keto, supplements seem to have kept the keto flu away, just wanted to share what I’m taking per day and wondered if anyone could recommend anything else.

Daily
    Multivitamin
    Creatine Mono
    Vitamin C
    Vitamin D

3x a day with meals
    Potassium Gluconate
    CMZ(Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc)
    Fish Oil

Anyone have any others they might add? Seems to be working for me so far.
    I always take a whole-food real vitamin (Garden of Life or Synergy Company), extra whole, raw Vitamin C (Syngery Company), not just "Vitamin C as ascorbic acid". Asorbic acid is not vitamin C. It's simply the anti-oxidant shell of the whole vitamin c molecule. Obviously a high quality omega-3 fish oil (Minami, Garden of Life, Life Extension, and Nordic Naturals are the ones I use). Never did get the keto flu myself, but then again I've always eaten whole, organic food even before keto so that probably played a big role.

Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have ordered MCT oil, medium chained fat. I will take about 2tbls each day. Also coconut fat. And CoQ10. And a box of collagen protein powder for a backup if I have not met my protein intake one day. I will focus hard on getting plenty of fat. Both from choosing fattier cuts of meat and by eating lots of fatty fish like salmon, trout and mackerel. For the summer season I have a goal of eating fish 4 days a week. Both because of the high quality omega 3 fat in fish and because I can fish for free and keep the overall costs down. I will even vacuum bag fish for the freezer so I can keep a stack of cheap source for protein and healthy fat for the winter.

My vitamin D level is too low so I got prescription for 4000 ie D vitamin tablets so I will take those but will get my levels checked to ensure I don't take too much. I also got multivitamin and a prescription B vitamin. I got a potassium pill and magnesium pills as well. Those two I will take if I show low levels on next blood work, or if I start getting cravings or feeling extra weak.

Omega 3 I think I will get plenty from the fish. The MCT is to help with cravings and to get an energy bump without having to resort to carbohydrates. Typical usage will be a fat coffee with some coconut oil.
    Last edited by Ifa99; 06-06-2019 at 05:52 AM.

LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by TallStrongNerdy View Post
    Keto flu is overwhelmingly due to electrolyte imbalance from the water purge that accompanies a keto diet.
    A cheap "hack" of sorts to alleviate most of the symptoms is Morton's Lite Salt. It has to be the "lite" variety because they leaven the regular sodium chloride with potassium chloride to "lite"-en the sodium content per volume, making it a nice sodium & potassium supplement that's dirt cheap.
    Magnesium pills help as well.

A multivitamin and fish oil should be in every fitness-minded individuals daily supplements regardless of diet.

KetoBob is not very helpful. (-500) KetoBob is not very helpful. (-500) KetoBob is not very helpful. (-500) KetoBob is not very helpful. (-500) KetoBob is not very helpful. (-500) KetoBob is not very helpful. (-500) KetoBob is not very helpful. (-500) KetoBob is not very helpful. (-500) KetoBob is not very helpful. (-500) KetoBob is not very helpful. (-500) KetoBob is not very helpful. (-500)
    Morton's salt is crap. The only salt I'd ever use is pink Himalayan salt or Celtic sea salt or Redmond Real Salt. Has the full range of minerals.

LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LukeEverhart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by KetoBob View Post
    Morton's salt is crap. The only salt I'd ever use is pink Himalayan salt or Celtic sea salt or Redmond Real Salt. Has the full range of minerals.
    All of those are superior for general salting, sure, but Himalayan salt is 98% sodium chloride. The potassium & other minerals in it are trace. If potassium is needed during induction into keto you won't get it with Himalayan salt. Celtic sea salt & Redmunds Real are also in the 98-99% sodium chloride range. Yes, they have a lot of minerals but only trace amounts, which is great for general health but little help in replenishing the potassium to stave off keto flu. The mortons LITE recommendation is because it is good source of potassium as well as sodium which, coupled with a bit of magnesium, will prevent keto flu in most.

Morton's has too many impurities in it. If I had to go that route, I'd simply take a potassium supplement. On a side note, I simply used the Real Salt and added some trace minerals called ConcenTrace from Trace Mineral Research. Never a cramp or even a hint of keto flu. That's the way I would do it.

Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ifa99 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Started with fish oil, rich in omega 3. Made from cod liver. 1 tbs each morning. High in omega 3, about 1.7 g of omega 3. DHA = 0.9 g and EPA = 0.8 g.

Awful taste. If you think fish stinks, try fish oils from cod liver.
    Worst part is that is got a really bad after taste to it. Like you can taste the fishiness of it in the back of your mouth within an hours or so after intake. People say it might just be now in the beginning, but I think people just get num to it after a few weeks. So I keep having that morning drink of fish oils before my fat coffee.

Originally Posted by Ifa99 View Post
    Started with fish oil, rich in omega 3. Made from cod liver. 1 tbs each morning. High in omega 3, about 1.7 g of omega 3. DHA = 0.9 g and EPA = 0.8 g.

Awful taste. If you think fish stinks, try fish oils from cod liver.
    Worst part is that is got a really bad after taste to it. Like you can taste the fishiness of it in the back of your mouth within an hours or so after intake. People say it might just be now in the beginning, but I think people just get num to it after a few weeks. So I keep having that morning drink of fish oils before my fat coffee.
    If it tastes that bad, you're using very poor quality crap fish oil. Try Nordic Naturals, Minami, or Gardern of Life fish oils. Highest quality on the market, and yes you will pay for it, but fish oil is not something to go cheap on. These have almost no taste or after-taste. They're very pure and very mild but also concentrated and the highest quality.

No no I got the highest quality. As fresh as possible of course. It is not the quality of the fish oil. Quality is prima. It's the after taste. Not that the oil is hard to swallow or have a bad taste to it when you drink it down. I can't really explain the sensation. It is kind of like burping without the burp. Or how you can taste garlic without eating garlic if you touched garlic with your fingers while cutting.

It is the after taste that is bad, not the taste going down. Sorry if I didn't manage to get that across in the previous post. When the after taste hits your taste buds it tastes like how a fish market smells, if that makes any sense.

Originally Posted by Ifa99 View Post
    No no I got the highest quality. As fresh as possible of course. It is not the quality of the fish oil. Quality is prima. It's the after taste. Not that the oil is hard to swallow or have a bad taste to it when you drink it down. I can't really explain the sensation. It is kind of like burping without the burp. Or how you can taste garlic without eating garlic if you touched garlic with your fingers while cutting.

It is the after taste that is bad, not the taste going down. Sorry if I didn't manage to get that across in the previous post. When the after taste hits your taste buds it tastes like how a fish market smells, if that makes any sense.
    What brand are you using? Quality fish oil isn't supposed to taste like that.

Originally Posted by KetoBob View Post
    What brand are you using? Quality fish oil isn't supposed to taste like that.
    What I use does not really matter. Chances are we are not even on the same continent. I got the highest quality liquid cod liver oil available where I live. I am sure if I got it straight from the cookery it could be fresher but I manage with the one got. I don't really have trouble with the after taste anymore seems to have gotten more used to it. If you walk into a pig farm the smell will likely make you gag or at least feel bad. The pig farmer does not notice it all. We get used to most anything.

Only after taste I get these days if I should need to bend down deep ie to pick a set of keys I dropped. If I move quickly right after having the fish oil I still get the after taste. Otherwise it is all good and dandy.

For MCT I've gotten two variants. One is the recommended MCT 8, that super quickly absorbed to the body, I use that each morning and maybe as a little pick me up during the day. I take it in the coffee with heavy cream. Really nice and creamy coffee with a great taste from the cream.

Then I do another mct oil and cream coffee after dinner. For that cup I use mct 10. Not absorbed as quickly and in theory should help me avoid cravings. I've started with potassium and magnesium pills as will, and the Qo10.

The collagen protein powder I have not really used yet. I've done two servings just to try it, but it seems I hit my protein and fat content by eating regular food so I don't just take it as long as I don't need it. But if I must skip a meal I will use it. I still take my vitamin D as prescribed, but I've doubled up on the vitamin B as I read people can get too little vitamin B when doing Keto.