xavierrrcru12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need help gaining weight!

Alright so I made this account just for this question since of course everyone is different and I can’t find any threads relative to my current situation. I’m going to try to be as in-depth as possible.
    I’m a 22 year old male. I’ve been lifting weights since I was 16. I’m a very skinny dude. 5’10” 148lbs. Now here’s the thing, I cannot gain weight. Currently I’ve been eating a 3,600 calorie diet a day over 5 meals. Been doing it religiously for about 8 weeks now. Now that is only food. I’ve been taking a mass gainer during that time adding another 710 calories, 126 carbs and 60 grams of protein with an extra whey protein shake adding 130 calories, 25 grams protein. In total my carbs are 400+, protein is 260+, fat is 100+. Here’s the catch, I’ve lost 15lbs during the past 8 weeks. Everyone I speak to says I have the fastest metabolism they’ve ever heard of. Even my doctor is stumped. I’m training 5 days a week and the 6th day is pool cardio, 7th day rest. Each training day is with heavy weights, low reps, about 80% strength each set. I’m just completely clueless on what to do. I’m not trying to get big, I only want to be 180lbs, I’m just tired of being a twig. Please tell me what I’m doing wrong, or what I can do better. Do I need to eat more or less, train more of less, dirty bulk? My current diet is relatively healthy, only fresh foods. I’m taking a mass gainer, whey protein, creatine, BCAAs and preworkout. I also drink about 5-6 liters of water a day. Again, I cannot gain weight, I’m losing weight. My current assessment is 82lbs of muscle, 14lbs of fat (about 9%). Basically over half my body weight is lean muscle with very little fat. Help me please.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    How are you measuring your food?
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

xavierrrcru12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I use the “my fitness pal” app from under armor to keep count of what I eat. I also use a scale to weigh out everything to get consistent and accurate portions.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by xavierrrcru12 View Post
    I use the “my fitness pal” app from under armor to keep count of what I eat. I also use a scale to weigh out everything to get consistent and accurate portions.
    I’m a bit confused: you’ve been lifting for 6 years and you’re just now realizing you haven’t made progress?

Regardless, if you’re truly eating that much and losing 15lb of weight in 8 weeks, you need to ask Your doctor for bloodwork and more tests because that is very concerning.

What tests have you had done?
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Young person, low BF%, lifting 6x and likely an active lifestyle in general... as all those factors point towards a higher TDEE.

Now I can't guarantee that there is no medical issue involved, like an overactive thyroid or something else... so make sure you're fine in that aspect first. Thyroid check, general blood panel, digestive issues/gastrointestral... talk to your doctors, they know what to look for.

If everything is fine, you might want to overshoot the fat macro even more. I've noticed I have a hard time gaining weight (even with high calories/carbs), unless I actually do that.
    Last edited by Tucane; 05-25-2019 at 12:43 AM.
    ~ Feel free to PM me if you have any questions ~

" As mind ~ as matter "

formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I feel it is unlikely is you were actually eating 4,300 calories+ each day you would lose weight. Would make sure you are measuring everything correctly -- if you are, you just need to eat more.

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    eat a lot more

Registered User Flhomeschoolmom's Avatar
    Flhomeschoolmom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flhomeschoolmom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flhomeschoolmom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flhomeschoolmom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flhomeschoolmom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flhomeschoolmom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flhomeschoolmom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flhomeschoolmom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flhomeschoolmom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flhomeschoolmom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flhomeschoolmom is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm a female and understand the need to gain weight. If you are consuming what you say you are, and you're loosing and not gaining then my honest advice to you is to go see your doctor for some labs. You could possibly have an overactive thyroid...amongst other things. A simple fasting lab known as a TSH should point to potential problems along with the preliminary CBC, etc.

SkinnyPimp204 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Are you eating before?
    Skinny guys like us should always eat before bed.