Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Do the Right Thing! AbdullahYousuf's Avatar
    AbdullahYousuf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbdullahYousuf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbdullahYousuf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbdullahYousuf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbdullahYousuf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbdullahYousuf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbdullahYousuf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbdullahYousuf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbdullahYousuf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbdullahYousuf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbdullahYousuf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

February 06 2020 | Workout 16 | Version B (Overhead Press, Deadlift & Chin-ups)

May Peace Be Upon You!

Overhead Press
    Warm-up @
    15 kg - 1x5
    20 kg - 1x5
    Work sets @ 27.5 kg - 5/4/3/3/3

Deadlift
    Work set @ 52.5 kg - 1x5

Chin-ups
    Work sets @ 3xBW (AMRAP) - 4/4/4

Notes/Issues:

Overhead press:
    1. When I pause to take a breath between reps, I'm not able to re-create that same pressure in my core as I do before un-racking the bar. That seems to compromise my performance in the reps after the breath.
    2. I pushed the bar too far in front in the last rep in the video, and hence found it very hard to complete that rep.

Chin-ups: I couldn't exceed last workout's number of reps. I think it's due to my increasing bodyweight.

Videos:

Overhead Press:

Deadlift:

Thanks.
    Visit my StrongLifts 5x5 training log:
    https://rebrand.ly/MyTrainingLog

AbdullahYousuf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbdullahYousuf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbdullahYousuf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbdullahYousuf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbdullahYousuf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbdullahYousuf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbdullahYousuf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbdullahYousuf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbdullahYousuf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbdullahYousuf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbdullahYousuf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

February 08, 2020 | Workout 17 | Version A (Bench Press & Barbell Row)

May Peace Be Upon You!

Bench Press
    Warm-up @ 20 kg - 2x5
    Work sets @ 27.5 kg - 5x5

Barbell Row
    Work sets @ 35 kg - 5/5/3/1/2

Notes/Issues:

Bench press: I experimented with a narrow (sets 1, 2 & 3) and wider grip (sets 4 & 5). With the wider grip, my forearms were perpendicular to the bar when the bar touched my chest (which is good). However, it still felt like a lot of work for my triceps. I think I'll still use the wider grip and see how that feels in the future sessions.

Barbell row: I learnt a cue about focusing on a point on the floor, and trying to keep my eyes on it the whole time in order to keep my form strict. It works, but I realised that with the strict form, I simply wasn't able to row the weight. Looks like I'll be deloading soon, and working up with this relatively new strict form (see video).

Videos:

Bench Press: narrow grip; side view

Bench Press: narrow grip; front view

Bench Press: wide grip; front view

Bench Press: wide grip; side view

Barbell Row:

Thanks.

February 11, 2020 | Workout 18 | Version B (Overhead Press, Deadlift & Chin-ups)

May Peace Be Upon You!

Overhead Press
    Warm-up @
    15 kg - 1x5
    20 kg - 1x5

Deadlift
    Work set @ 57.5 kg - 1x5

Chin-ups
    Work sets @ 3xBW (AMRAP) - 4/4/2

Notes/Issues:

Overhead press: I've made it through the plateau! Pushing my hips ahead slightly when pressing helped.

Deadlift: I slightly felt my lower back and the area above my butt after I finished the set. The next day now, I can feel that llittle soreness of injury. I think it's due to how the bar moves away from my body slightly on the way up, and then how I keep my lower back extended quite a bit when I'm standing upright.

Videos:

Overhead Press:

Deadlift:

Thanks.

LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    1. You are waiting a tad too long to lift after you unrack the weight. And also between reps. That'll sap your energy.
    2. Your deadlift looks fine otherwise but you are bending your knees a bit too early and the bar is having to move around it on the way down. Wait till the bar is past the knees before bending them. Lower back also gets hit hard if you are trying to control the weight too much on the way down.
    3. For your OHP, don't swing your hips. Squeeze your glutes and provide a stable foundation to press against. You need to rock your back just a bit and move your chin out of the way (look up slightly) to keep the bar close to you.

LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50) LifterWest will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    For your bench press, look into the powerbuilder's form of an arched back. That'll definitely let you lift heavier and keep your shoulder safe. Your wide grip is a better option in my opinion since your forearms are at a right angle at the bottom position.

Pendlay row looks fine. The pull should be explosive.

Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The tough part of stronglifts is the amount of resetting and failing which is part of the program.

How much weight have you been gaining and did you put on any water weight after starting the creatine? I'm assuming you're just taking about 5g per day?

How many times have you needed to deload the bench? Just once? I personally like to deload a little more than it suggests which sometimes gives a llttle more runway until the next fail.

I'm assuming you're not squatting because of some kind of pain. Are you doing anything else To replace like the leg work like leg extensions or curls?

Edit: also your press looks great man! Why are you holding the lockout position for so long though on 4th rep? It almost looks as if you're resting, trying to catch your breath for the next rep up there. It would be much more efficient to rest at the bottom position between reps If you can find a position thAt doesn't feel draining. and if you want to hold a rep at the top because it feels amazing to do so! Then go for it too lol. But make sure it doesn't hold you hack from getting all reps of your sets.

https://imgur.com/gallery/RoWUD1x - 75kg x 6 here... I rest at the bottom to gather energy for the last rep.
    Last edited by Millz12323; 02-13-2020 at 12:00 PM.
    Recent best lifts
    Bench - 225x13, 235x9, 250x5, 270x1
    Squat - 295x10, 340x5, 355x1
    Deadlift - 430x12, 450x9, 485x5, 505x1
    OHP - 150x11, 170x6, 185x2, 190x1
    3 mile run: 21:59 @ 170 bw.
    BW - 195 Getting fat mode
    531 Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177172201&page=6

February 13, 2020 | Workout 19 | Version A (Bench Press & Barbell Row)

May Peace Be Upon You!

Bench Press
    Warm-up @ 20 kg - 2x5
    Work sets @ 28.5 kg - 5x5

Barbell Row
    Work sets @
    35 kg - 1x4
    30 kg - 4x5

Notes/Issues:

Bench press: I'm continuing with a wider grip. I've realised that I need to maintain better upper back tightness/tucked shoulders. The app has suggested I switch to 1 kg increments each workout. I've decided to go with that. I've wrapped 0.5 kg chain bunches to either side to achieve that.

Barbell row: Since committing to a stricter form, I found 35 kg to be really tough. I decided to switch to 30 kg from the second set instead of waiting to fail three workouts in a row before deloading like StrongLifts suggests.

Videos:

Bench Press:

Barbell Row:

Thanks.
    Last edited by AbdullahYousuf; 02-20-2020 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Fixed video links

Feb 20, 2020 | Week 8 Workout 20 | Version B (Overhead Press, Deadlift & Chin-ups)

May Peace Be Upon You!

Overhead Press
    Warm-up @ 15 kg - 2x5
    Work sets @ 22.5 kg - 5x5

Deadlift
    Work set @ 50 kg - 1x5

Chin-ups
    Work sets @ 3xBW (AMRAP) - 5/6/4

Bodyweight: 50.5 kg

Notes/Issues:

I've resumed working out after a one week break. The app suggested that I deload by 10%.

Deadlift: I widened my stance slightly and had the bar (almost) touching my shins before I bent down to take my grip. I wanted to minimise how far back my hips are from the bar.

Videos:

Overhead Press:

Deadlift:

Thanks.
    Last edited by AbdullahYousuf; 02-20-2020 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Fixed video links

Reply to Feedback and Questions

Originally Posted by LifterWest View Post
    1. You are waiting a tad too long to lift after you unrack the weight. And also between reps. That'll sap your energy.
    2. Your deadlift looks fine otherwise but you are bending your knees a bit too early and the bar is having to move around it on the way down. Wait till the bar is past the knees before bending them. Lower back also gets hit hard if you are trying to control the weight too much on the way down.
    3. For your OHP, don't swing your hips. Squeeze your glutes and provide a stable foundation to press against. You need to rock your back just a bit and move your chin out of the way (look up slightly) to keep the bar close to you.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll try to make the adjustments.

For your bench press, look into the powerbuilder's form of an arched back. That'll definitely let you lift heavier and keep your shoulder safe. Your wide grip is a better option in my opinion since your forearms are at a right angle at the bottom position.

Pendlay row looks fine. The pull should be explosive.
    Yeah, I realised that. I watched Alan Thrall's 'how-to' video, and I'll try out his advice on setting up for the the bench.

Originally Posted by Millz12323 View Post
    The tough part of stronglifts is the amount of resetting and failing which is part of the program.

How much weight have you been gaining and did you put on any water weight after starting the creatine? I'm assuming you're just taking about 5g per day?

How many times have you needed to deload the bench? Just once? I personally like to deload a little more than it suggests which sometimes gives a llttle more runway until the next fail.

I'm assuming you're not squatting because of some kind of pain. Are you doing anything else To replace like the leg work like leg extensions or curls?

Edit: also your press looks great man! Why are you holding the lockout position for so long though on 4th rep? It almost looks as if you're resting, trying to catch your breath for the next rep up there. It would be much more efficient to rest at the bottom position between reps If you can find a position thAt doesn't feel draining. and if you want to hold a rep at the top because it feels amazing to do so! Then go for it too lol. But make sure it doesn't hold you hack from getting all reps of your sets.

https://imgur.com/gallery/RoWUD1x - 75kg x 6 here... I rest at the bottom to gather energy for the last rep.
    Weight gain has been slow. After I started creatine, my weight jumped 2 kg. I think most of it was water weight. There hasn't been much weight gain apart from that in the last two weeks. So, I guess I need to increase my calorie intake to support my training better.

I'm taking about 2.5 g of creatine everyday. I'm following Dr Jordan Feigenbaum's (Barbell Medicine) recommendation of 0.045g per kg of bodyweight.

Yes, my last deload was my first on the benchpress. I'm micro loading (1 kg increments) as well now.

Yeah, I paused squatting due to symptoms of hip impingement. My goal is to focus on muscle strengthening work based on physiotherapy articles online, and eventually get back to squatting. I believe that if I've got the mobility to execute a deadlift pain-free, then it should be quite likely for me to squat pain-free as well. I hope I'm right. We'll have to see.

Thanks for the encouragement on the overhead press. I was trying to incorporate Rippetoe's and Brian Alsruhe's advice on breathing in at the top. Maybe I'm taking too long when doing that, and appear then as struggling.

February 22, 2020 | Week 8 | Workout 21 | Version A (Bench Press & Barbell Row)

May Peace Be Upon You!

Bench Press
    Warm-up @ 20 kg - 2x5
    Work sets @ 25 kg - 5x5

Barbell Row
    Work sets @ 30 kg - 5x5

Session RPE: 7/10

Notes/Issues:

I've decided to begin recording session RPE numbers for my workouts. It's so that I can keep track of high exertion workouts and take a break if needed when they occur repeatedly.

Videos:

Bench Press:

Barbell Row:

Thanks.

Feb 25, 2020 | Week 8 Workout 22 | Version B (Overhead Press, Deadlift & Chin-ups)

May Peace Be Upon You!

Overhead Press
    Warm-up @ 15 kg - 2x5
    Work sets @ 25 kg - 5x5

Deadlift
    Work set @ 55 kg - 1x5

Chin-ups
    Work sets @ 3xBW (AMRAP) - 6/5/5

Session RPE: 7.9

Notes/Issues:

Overhead Press: I pushed the bar behind my shoulders at the top on some reps.

Videos:

Overhead Press:

Deadlift:

Thanks.

Feb 27, 2020 | Week 9 Workout 23 | Version A (Bench Press & Barbell Row)

May Peace Be Upon You!

Bench Press
    Warm-up @ 20 kg - 2x5
    Work sets @ 26 kg - 5x5

Barbell Row
    Work sets @ 32.5 kg - 5x5

Session RPE: 7.2/10

Bodyweight: 52 kg

Notes/Issues:

Barbell row: It was challenging to stick to the strict form.

Videos:

Bench Press:

Barbell Row:

Thanks.

Feb 29, 2020 | Wk 9 Workout 24 | Ver. B (Squat, Overhead Press, Deadlift & Chin-ups)

May Peace Be Upon You!

Squat
    Work sets @ 20 kg - 5x5

Overhead Press
    Warm-up @ 20 kg - 1x5

Deadlift
    Work set @ 60 kg - 1x5

Chin-ups
    Work sets @ 3xBW (AMRAP) - 6/6/5

Session RPE: 7.9
    Duration: 62 min

Notes/Issues:

Squat: I've decided to resume squatting. This time, I'm focussing on not arching my lower back as much, and hip hinging correctly so that I hopefully don't run into hip impingement symptoms again. I didn't feel anything major apart from some DOMS the next day.

Videos:

Squat:

Overhead Press:

Deadlift:

Thanks.

Mar 02, 2020 | Wk 9 Workout 25 | Ver. A (Squat, Bench Press & Barbell Row)

May Peace Be Upon You!

Squat
    Work sets @ 22.5 kg - 5x5

Bench Press
    Warm-up @ 20 kg - 1x5

Barbell Row
    Work sets @ 35 kg - 5x5

Session RPE: 7.1 / 10
    Duration: 61 min

Notes/Issues:

Barbell row: It was quite difficult today.

Videos:

Bench Press:

Barbell Row:

Thanks.

Mar 04, 2020 | Wk 9 Workout 26 | Ver. B (Squat, Overhead Press, Deadlift & Chin-ups)

May Peace Be Upon You!

Squat
    Work sets @ 25 kg - 5x5

Overhead Press
    Warm-up @ 20 kg - 1x5
    Work sets @ 30 kg - 5/5/4/3/3

Deadlift
    Work set @ 65 kg - 1x5

Chin-ups
    Work sets @ 3xBW (AMRAP) - 7/5/5

Session RPE: 8.4 / 10
    Duration: 72 min

Notes/Issues:

Overhead press: I couldn't do 5x5 today.

Deadlift: My grip strength was at its limit today.

Chin-ups: I felt my forearm muscles a lot. I was expecting my biceps to be the ones feeling so much instead.

Videos:

Squat:

Overhead Press:

Deadlift:

Thanks.

1. For your squat, move your knees further forward, you are way too much on the glutes side. And going that deep is not really necessary and may also cause issues with butt wink whn the weights get really heavy. I'd suggest you go at or just below parallel.
    2. For OHP, focus on keeping the bar as much above the shoulder level as possible. For that, you need to slightly rock your head and back backwards to let the bar move. An inch or two in bar path deviance will make a huge difference.
    3. For deadlifts, make sure you do not bend your knees on the way down till the bar passes the knees. You need to let the bar go a bit more freely on the way down. That'll reduce lower back emphasis.

Great flexibility with your back. It is straight in every movement.

1. For your squat, move your knees further forward, you are way too much on the glutes side. And going that deep is not really necessary and may also cause issues with butt wink whn the weights get really heavy. I'd suggest you go at or just below parallel.
    Noted. I'll try to be more aware of keeping the weight midfoot as well and see if that makes a difference.

2. For OHP, focus on keeping the bar as much above the shoulder level as possible. For that, you need to slightly rock your head and back backwards to let the bar move. An inch or two in bar path deviance will make a huge difference.
    I'll try to arch my upper back more to make way for the bar.

3. For deadlifts, make sure you do not bend your knees on the way down till the bar passes the knees. You need to let the bar go a bit more freely on the way down. That'll reduce lower back emphasis.

Great flexibility with your back. It is straight in every movement.
    I'll keep that in mind next time.

Thanks.

Mar 07, 2020 | Wk 10 Workout 27 | Ver. A (Squat, Bench Press & Barbell Row)

May Peace Be Upon You!

Squat

Bench Press
    Warm-up @ 20 kg - 1x5
    Work sets @ 28.5 kg - 5x5

Barbell Row
    Work sets @ 37.5 kg - 5x5

Session RPE: 7.5 / 10
    Duration: 61 min

Bodyweight: 52.5 kg (gained 3.5 kg since the start)

Notes/Issues:

Barbell row: I had to employ my legs to initiate the movement.

Videos:

Squat:

Bench Press:

Barbell Row:

Thanks.

Mar 10, 2020 | Wk 10 Workout 28 | Ver. B (Squat, Overhead Press, Deadlift & Chin-ups)

May Peace Be Upon You!

Squat
    Warm-up @ 20 kg - 2x5
    Work sets @ 30 kg - 5x5

Overhead Press
    Warm-up @ 20 kg - 2x5
    Work sets @ 30 kg - 3/5/3/5/3

Deadlift
    Warm-up @ 60 kg - 1x5
    Work set @ 70 kg - 1x5

Chin-ups
    Work sets @ 3xBW (AMRAP) - 7/7/5

Session RPE: 8.4 / 10
    Duration: 95 min

Bodyweight: 52.5 kg (gained 3.5 kg since the start)

Notes/Issues:

Squat: My lockout was so abrupt and sudden. Perhaps because the weight is still light?

Overhead press: I couldn't do 5x5 today either. I have to do better with keeping the bar in-line with my shoulders on the way up.

Deadlift: I had straps ready as backup but didn't use them. I feel like I should have used them though since I couldn't concentrate on locking out my upper body and wanted to lower the bar as soon as possible out of fear of losing grip.

Videos:

Squat:

Overhead Press:

Deadlift:

Thanks.

Mar 13, 2020 | Wk 11 Workout 29 | Ver. A (Squat, Bench Press & Barbell Row)

May Peace Be Upon You!

Squat
    Warm-up @ 20 kg - 2x5
    Work sets @ 32.5 kg - 5x5

Bench Press
    Warm-up @ 20 kg - 1x5

Barbell Row - skipped

Session RPE: 6 / 10
    Duration: 40 min

Bodyweight: 53.5 kg (gained 4.5 kg since the start)

Notes/Issues:

My regular gym has shut down due to precautionary measures against the spreading coronavirus. The gym in my residential complex doesn't have the equipment needed such as the bar, plates, etc. So, I put together some stuff to work around it (see videos below). I found an aluminium rod and hung bags filled with dumbells and miscellaneous items. I still have to figure out how to do barbell rows and deadlifts from the ground.

The hanging bags though caused a lot of imbalance and wobble. I needed support in balancing the bar when doing benchpress. I'm not sure if overhead presses would work out either as well.

Videos:

Squat:

Bench Press:

Thanks.