themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Keeping fat down whilst bulking

Hi guys and girls,

I am currently on a bulk. My diet is varied but I do have sweets and "naughty things" a bit more often than I should...I eat about 180g protein a day. It is a bit of a dirty bulk (as long as I get my protein, i eat what I want) but I do eat clean about 70% of the time. I rarely drink. I aim to put on 1kg a month which I am achieving more or less.

I am making some good steady progress in the gym, i have slowed down a lot on some excersises such as bench and barbell shoulder press (taken me about 4 sessions to increase by 1kg) but I am making good progress on squats etc and isolation machines although that is starting to slow down.

Since bulking I have put on about 11-12kg in a year and I am now at about 25% bf. My waist is 34.5 inches and I am starting to look a little bit podgy around the mid section. I don't do any cardio but I was thinking of incorporating some LISS before and after my workout for about 10 mins each.

Ultimately I want to continue to bulk as I am making progress but I am getting a bit uncomfortable with my fat levels.

Any advice? Would adding cardio help reduce fat gain? So I cut? Do I fix my diet?

Thanks.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    What was your starting weight? Did you get a BF% estimate from the forum? Often people who really shouldn't bulk up do so when it's not necessary and they should really keep weight gains as small as possible while progressing with their lifting.

At 34 inch waist, you probably fall into this category.

But whichever way you cut it, maintaining a small but consistent calorie surplus is the key to not gaining excessive fat while gaining mass.

zanisbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) zanisbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) zanisbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) zanisbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) zanisbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) zanisbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) zanisbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) zanisbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) zanisbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) zanisbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) zanisbar will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you are uncomfortable with fat levels then do a proper cut,incorporating some LISS won't help you cut either,it will just make the process of gaining muscle harder.

To gain muscle you have to be in a caloric surplus,and to lose fat you have to be in a deficit,you can also recomp but its very slow and isn't worth it IMO.

and since your lifts went on a steady progress,you were building muscle along with fat,just go on a proper cut to around 15% BF and then bulk up again.

and cutting mostly comes down to dieting,so you have fix that,keep hitting the gym,try to lift the same about when you stopped your bulk and you won't loose muscle during cut.

whats your current weight BTW?you can guess how long you have to cut.

My starring weight was about 75kg at 15% bf. Current weight is 87kg

zanisbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) zanisbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) zanisbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) zanisbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) zanisbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) zanisbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) zanisbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) zanisbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) zanisbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) zanisbar will become famous soon enough. (+50) zanisbar will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by themorganator4 View Post
    My starring weight was about 75kg at 15% bf. Current weight is 87kg
    then your whole bulk was simply terrible.

according to your stats you gained about 12 kgs of which only about 1-2 kgs was muscle while 10 kg was fat.

75*15/100=11.25
    so your LBM was 63.75

now 87*25/100=21.75
    so your LBM is 65.25

either you wasted a lot of your time or severely under or overestimated your body fat percentages in either of cases.

A recent pic of me is in my profile, feel free to take a look and see if my bf % is 26

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by themorganator4 View Post
    A recent pic of me is in my profile, feel free to take a look and see if my bf % is 26
    It’s literally impossible to get specific numbers by eyeballing - could be 20%, could be 22%, could be 19%, could be 26%.

For purposes of determining how much muscle you’ve put on, using those “exact” numbers is futile because they’re stabs in the dark.

If your weight gain has been slow/steady AND you’re lifts have been progressively improving, then you’ve added muscle.

A better way to track body fat is to use actual measurements (like waist size) and/or calipers.