AnotherOldGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Too many classes?

I'm 50 and I've never done something like this and want to scratch it off my bucket list. The NPC event in Myrtle Beach is Aug 3 and I'm starting to reduce calories to drop from 190 to 175 under supervision from my coach who learned/trained under Mike Metzer.

Obviously entering the 50+ Masters Body Building but they don't have an over 50 Classic Physique or Physique, just over 40. Youngins are going to make it tough for me, plus they have a local county only division (non-NPC) class of each of those 2 over 40 classes.

Should I enter all 5 or will I be taxed? I mean, Physique is pretty much no strain but Classic Physique is. From what I saw in pics from another show, I have a good shot and hey, while I'm prepped why not compete in more classes?

Thoughts?
    Attached Images

smokinal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) smokinal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) smokinal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) smokinal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) smokinal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) smokinal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) smokinal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) smokinal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) smokinal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) smokinal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) smokinal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good for you man!

So I compete with OCB and they do not let you enter more than one category (you have to choose men's physique only, or classic only, bodybuilding only etc...) Can you do this in NPC?

I've done 2 classes before and will be doing 3 in Sept (all same category like I mentioned) I don't know man, 5 would be tough; especially if you're jumping from category to category.

You could pick one category that interests you the most and do Novice, Open and 40+
    Or maybe pick 2 categories and do Novice and 40+ in those (so you would go on 4 times in one show; that would be a lot)

Whatever you do, just go have fun with it! I know we all want to place high but don't go in thinking about placements; just have fun with the whole experience and let the chips fall where they will. Be proud of the condition you get yourself into at 50! Hardly a fraction of the population does what you're doing!

Keep us posted!
    2017 OCB Men's Physique Open 4th place
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    18 MP Open 5'10" & under 1st
    18 MP 40+ 1st & Overall..Pro Card Won
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd
    19 BB 40+ 1st..2nd Pro Card

TrainBeastMode will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrainBeastMode will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrainBeastMode will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrainBeastMode will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrainBeastMode will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrainBeastMode will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrainBeastMode will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrainBeastMode will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrainBeastMode will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrainBeastMode will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrainBeastMode will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Myself personally, I try and compete in as many divisions as I can enter (I can't do Masters yet as I'm a sprightly 38 and I can't do Novice BB as I've won an overall). You put in the hard work, you want to show it off and make it worth your time. Some things to think about. You'll more than likely be sweating up on stage as the lights are very bright and very hot. This messes with your spray tan causing it to run. I personally sweat A LOT and if you are in a big group, you'll likely be on stage for quite a while. If you choose the show spray, they will help you fix it between rounds, but likely the Masters divisions will be one after another and they won't have time to fix it properly. It is very taxing on the body to get up there and flex constantly and be under that stress with very little food and water throughout the day. You will be knackered by the end, especially if you do 5 different categories. I'd say go for it. You'll get some good experience from it and do something not many people can do what you do at that age. Good luck!!

@Smokinal, the NPC does allow for crossover between BB and Classic Physique and I believe Physique to Classic, but not BB to Physique. I could mistaken about the exact nature, but I do know they allow crossovers.

AnotherOldGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by smokinal View Post
    Good for you man!

So I compete with OCB and they do not let you enter more than one category (you have to choose men's physique only, or classic only, bodybuilding only etc...) Can you do this in NPC?

I've done 2 classes before and will be doing 3 in Sept (all same category like I mentioned) I don't know man, 5 would be tough; especially if you're jumping from category to category.

You could pick one category that interests you the most and do Novice, Open and 40+
    Or maybe pick 2 categories and do Novice and 40+ in those (so you would go on 4 times in one show; that would be a lot)

Whatever you do, just go have fun with it! I know we all want to place high but don't go in thinking about placements; just have fun with the whole experience and let the chips fall where they will. Be proud of the condition you get yourself into at 50! Hardly a fraction of the population does what you're doing!

Keep us posted!
    Thanks for your feedback, yes you can crossover in NPC and with the "locals" category I figure that is low lying fruit compared to the NPC categories. I thought about novice but I'm 50 and I can't go against a 26 year old stud. Bad enough the Classic Physique is 40+ when they had a 50+ in another city. I want to medal out

There's a show 2 weeks later in Charleston I may hit after this depending on the outcome but then I'll just do this "maybe" once a year or be done with it. I started working out for health reasons and some of this training isn't really "healthy" so to speak.