Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Motivation

Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

New Motivation

I spent all of last week south of the border enjoying some much needed R&R with the old lady. I am not super strict with my eating as I follow IIFYM but I went down with the mindset that I would eat what I want, when I want and enjoy myself, especially being we had all-inclusive. Even with this mindset, it was crazy to me to just sit back and observe how high of a percentage of obese and morbidly obese people there were and how much food they consumed. It really struck me as to how the majority of these people could barely get in and out of the chairs they were sitting on or struggled to even get in and out of the pool. It truly does reinforce the fact that the my dedication and thoughtfulness towards my fitness and overall health is well worth it
    “Other gyms use machines… CrossFit builds them”

OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Many non obese people would see obese people and think... they are terrible, why do they do that, weak willed etc, and just pass judgements

Someone dedicated... sees obese people and rather than being judgemental, it only increases their own determination.

You have passed the test!
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.
    Yes the diet is very strict.. I'm just having a cheat-month.

Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    Many non obese people would see obese people and think... they are terrible, why do they do that, weak willed etc, and just pass judgements

Someone dedicated... sees obese people and rather than being judgemental, it only increases their own determination.

You have passed the test!
    I agree. It just reinforces that what I am doing is worth it. I don't look down upon obese people, but more so wish they had the will power to make the change because it would probably be the best decision they ever made.

MrCarrot is just really nice. (+1000) MrCarrot is just really nice. (+1000) MrCarrot is just really nice. (+1000) MrCarrot is just really nice. (+1000) MrCarrot is just really nice. (+1000) MrCarrot is just really nice. (+1000) MrCarrot is just really nice. (+1000) MrCarrot is just really nice. (+1000) MrCarrot is just really nice. (+1000) MrCarrot is just really nice. (+1000) MrCarrot is just really nice. (+1000)
    You know what I find weird though, obese people who never seem to eat. I know a few people who are overweight and you never see them eating. Sometimes I wonder if they eat in secret, but I know a few of them like to drink. It makes me think people either eat, drink or smoke. The former two generally being overweight and the latter generally being skinny (assuming they don't also drink as well as smoke)

Originally Posted by MrCarrot View Post
    You know what I find weird though, obese people who never seem to eat. I know a few people who are overweight and you never see them eating. Sometimes I wonder if they eat in secret, but I know a few of them like to drink. It makes me think people either eat, drink or smoke. The former two generally being overweight and the latter generally being skinny (assuming they don't also drink as well as smoke)
    I have seen the same in some obese people. They are ashamed of their eating so they hide snacks or eat in private so they don't have to feel judged. Its sad

In Witness Protection mtpockets's Avatar
    mtpockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtpockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtpockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtpockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtpockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtpockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtpockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtpockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtpockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtpockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtpockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Vandeman17 View Post
    They are ashamed of their eating so they hide snacks or eat in private so they don't have to feel judged. Its sad
    I do that with reese's peanut butter cups, got some hidden in the freezer now.
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999

Real Heroes don't wear capes.

Keep your squats low and standards high.

Originally Posted by mtpockets View Post
    I do that with reese's peanut butter cups, got some hidden in the freezer now.
    I have girl scout cookies in mine but with zero regrets!

LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I can't say that I look at eating that way, I look at the real problem is not being active. Being on the fat side doesn't mean that people can't improve their health and learn to make it part of their lives to train.

....the slogan at our gym is we don't care how much you weigh, in fact you may just gain weight working out here, we fuel the beast, but we want you to be better then you were yesterday, your workout to be better than before.

....food, I have absolutely no guilt to consume as much food as I want in one sitting, eat whole pizzas, hot dogs etc. I won't do it everyday, the workout in the weight room is what counts and sometimes I need those calories and I don't care if they are bad, as I know I'll be back the next week, you can count on it.

adamgentile is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamgentile is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamgentile is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamgentile is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamgentile is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamgentile is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamgentile is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamgentile is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamgentile is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamgentile is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamgentile is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It's more about living a sedentary life and not exercising.

The whole food thing today is so blown out of proportion. I know people who eat whatever the heck they want, but workout and do cardio, and they look fantastic. Calories in calories out.
    Last edited by adamgentile; 05-16-2019 at 08:37 AM.

Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I agree. It just reinforces that what I am doing is worth it. I don't look down upon obese people, but more so wish they had the will power to make the change because it would probably be the best decision they ever made.
    IDK, this thread screams of pity for the fatty. I'm sure you mean well but I'm here to tell you obese people know they're obese and it's usually some underlying issue that needs to change before their diets.

Also, for the "calories in calories out" crowd, while that is true for appearance it's hardly true for health. This trend of IIFIYM is silly if you're ignoring micros and quality of the food you're ingesting. IMO, age masks it but as you get older it becomes something to look at.
    ☻/
    /▌ Dm2dm crew (---Deadlift Moar to Deadlift Moar---)
    / \ 

"Squat and pull and quit listening to the static." Jim Wendler
    Natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from. ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็

tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    For those that are overweight it is well known that you can’t outwork a bad diet. So those saying nutrition isn’t important or the workout is all that matters is not accurate.

If someone has good health with good blood pressure, cholesterol etc... but are still overweight then just working out for them is fine if they are not trying to improve their appearance. But most folks who are 50 pounds or more overweight also have other health issues and just working out without losing weight will not improve their health as much as training and nutrition combined.
    Bodybuilding is much more than an hour in the gym a few days a week---it's a lifestyle that changes all your perceptions about how to live, eat, and rest. It feeds the mind as much (and sometimes more so) than the body.
    ~Originally posted by ironwill2008

Originally Posted by Jtbny View Post
    IDK, this thread screams of pity for the fatty. I'm sure you mean well but I'm here to tell you obese people know they're obese and it's usually some underlying issue that needs to change before their diets.

Also, for the "calories in calories out" crowd, while that is true for appearance it's hardly true for health. This trend of IIFIYM is silly if you're ignoring micros and quality of the food you're ingesting. IMO, age masks it but as you get older it becomes something to look at.
    You are welcome to your opinion but I stand by my statement in that I don't look down upon them. It is their choice to eat the way they eat and move as much or as little as they do. I was raised with the mindset that the brain is more powerful than our bodies ever will be. Unless medically or physically unable to do something, the only thing holding people back is the willingness to make the effort to change.

As for IIFYM, of course it doesn't mean to eat garbage all the time. I use it as a lesson in that a person shouldn't view foods as "cheat" or "clean". If you want to eat a few slices of that pizza or have a fast food, go for it. Its the quality of your overall nutrition that is paramount.

MrCarrot is just really nice. (+1000) MrCarrot is just really nice. (+1000) MrCarrot is just really nice. (+1000) MrCarrot is just really nice. (+1000) MrCarrot is just really nice. (+1000) MrCarrot is just really nice. (+1000) MrCarrot is just really nice. (+1000) MrCarrot is just really nice. (+1000) MrCarrot is just really nice. (+1000) MrCarrot is just really nice. (+1000) MrCarrot is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have seen the same in some obese people. They are ashamed of their eating so they hide snacks or eat in private so they don't have to feel judged. Its sad
    I'm sure there's a lot who get a lot of their calories from alcohol though. The people I know are not morbidly obese as such, just generally overweight, but they seem to have little interest in food, but they do like to drink and most likely do so every evening.

Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jtbny has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    You are welcome to your opinion but I stand by my statement in that I don't look down upon them. It is their choice to eat the way they eat and move as much or as little as they do. I was raised with the mindset that the brain is more powerful than our bodies ever will be. Unless medically or physically unable to do something, the only thing holding people back is the willingness to make the effort to change.

As for IIFYM, of course it doesn't mean to eat garbage all the time. I use it as a lesson in that a person shouldn't view foods as "cheat" or "clean". If you want to eat a few slices of that pizza or have a fast food, go for it. Its the quality of your overall nutrition that is paramount.
    The bolded, IMO, contradicts. I'm not saying you're wrong I'm saying you do look down on the obese. You do it in every post ITT so just own it. Maybe we are not using the same definition of "look down". I read your tone as judgmental and a sort of pity. You feel sort of bad for these people but think they have done it to themselves. You don't see that as looking down on them from your judgmental perch??

The IIFYM wasn't directed entirely at you; more at the calories in calories out crowd who use that to YOLO their nutrition under the guise of "it doesn't matter what, its how much". And if that's not you, great, but click on over to the nutrition side of this site and you'll see many so indeed think that way. And of course they are usually in their 20s where age masks the nutritional deficiencies more so than 30, 40+++.
    ☻/
    / \ 

Natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from. ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็

The bolded, IMO, contradicts. I'm not saying you're wrong I'm saying you do look down on the obese. You do it in every post ITT so just own it. Maybe we are not using the same definition of "look down". I read your tone as judgmental and a sort of pity. You feel sort of bad for these people but think they have done it to themselves. You don't see that as looking down on them from your judgmental perch??

The IIFYM wasn't directed entirely at you; more at the calories in calories out crowd who use that to YOLO their nutrition under the guise of "it doesn't matter what, its how much". And if that's not you, great, but click on over to the nutrition side of this site and you'll see many so indeed think that way. And of course they are usually in their 20s where age masks the nutritional deficiencies more so than 30, 40+++.
    You seem to make a lot of assumptions and are a hypocrite yourself. "You don't see that as looking down on them from your judgmental perch" Calling me judgmental while judging me, hmmm.

I said its my opinion, as you have yours. We can agree to disagree on your perception of what I said and what it meant but get off your high horse and spare me the lecture.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You have to look at in the sense some people really don't care about fitness or how they look it's not a goal in their life.
    Enjoying life,excessive eating eating and drinking are something they like doing.
    You/we are in a small majority of people that think differently.
    I don't put people down for wanting to be the way they are thats on them.
    I would hope they would have the same respect for me/us for doing what we do and try to stay physically fit.
    It's certainly an eye opener though.
    I noticed that when my wife and i go to Las Vegas every year.

Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    You have to look at in the sense some people really don't care about fitness or how they look it's not a goal in their life.
    Enjoying life,excessive eating eating and drinking are something they like doing.
    You/we are in a small majority of people that think differently.
    I don't put people down for wanting to be the way they are thats on them.
    I would hope they would have the same respect for me/us for doing what we do and try to stay physically fit.
    It's certainly an eye opener though.
    I noticed that when my wife and i go to Las Vegas every year.
    I agree. To add on to it, my comments and train of thought had nothing to do with how a person looks. It had more to do with how crippling being obese is as far as what we consider the most basic of activities. Seeing a person that needs assistance just to get up from a chair and looks to be in pain while doing it is tough to see. I feel like when I was a kid, it wasn't nearly as common to see people morbidly obese, let alone having the majority of people you see being obese. I truly hope they are happy but at the same time, would love to see them trying to improve their health as it opens up so many doors and can lead to a longer life.

x-trainer ben has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-trainer ben has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-trainer ben has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-trainer ben has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-trainer ben has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-trainer ben has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-trainer ben has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-trainer ben has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-trainer ben has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-trainer ben has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) x-trainer ben has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I agree. To add on to it, my comments and train of thought had nothing to do with how a person looks. It had more to do with how crippling being obese is as far as what we consider the most basic of activities. Seeing a person that needs assistance just to get up from a chair and looks to be in pain while doing it is tough to see. I feel like when I was a kid, it wasn't nearly as common to see people morbidly obese, let alone having the majority of people you see being obese. I truly hope they are happy but at the same time, would love to see them trying to improve their health as it opens up so many doors and can lead to a longer life.
    Yeah it depends how you read your initial post. This is what jumped out at me, for others it may have read differently.

"crazy to me to just sit back and observe how high of a percentage of obese and morbidly obese people there were"

"how much food they consumed"

"people could barely get in and out of the chairs they were sitting on or struggled to even get in and out of the pool"
    The easiest way to tell when an argument has no merit is when the protagonist mixes in some personal insults

You seem to make a lot of assumptions and are a hypocrite yourself. "You don't see that as looking down on them from your judgmental perch" Calling me judgmental while judging me, hmmm.

I said its my opinion, as you have yours. We can agree to disagree on your perception of what I said and what it meant but get off your high horse and spare me the lecture.
    So you don't want to address the actual argument and what you said? OK - no assumptions needed I just read your post to draw the obvious conclusion. Again, I pointing out how you claim to not be judging while judging. I also never claimed not to be judging you. I am judging you but I won't wrap it up in a bow like you are trying to do. I'm just not passive aggressive about it.

You're on a forum so you should expect replies. Just because you don't agree and are now in defensive mode doesn't mean it's a lecture. I think you're projecting a tad bit here. Ok, back to how you are better than the sad fatty conversation.
    ☻/
    / \ 

So you don't want to address the actual argument and what you said? OK - no assumptions needed I just read your post to draw the obvious conclusion. Again, I pointing out how you claim to not be judging while judging. I also never claimed not to be judging you. I am judging you but I won't wrap it up in a bow like you are trying to do. I'm just not passive aggressive about it.

You're on a forum so you should expect replies. Just because you don't agree and are now in defensive mode doesn't mean it's a lecture. I think you're projecting a tad bit here. Ok, back to how you are better than the sad fatty conversation.
    I addressed it multiple times but you have already made up your mind and thus you are correct and know exactly what I meant. Pretty pathetic that you think you know me and what I was saying and what is in my heart. Internet tough guy who knows all. "back to my better than sad fatty conversation" pretty mature and shows me your true colors.

Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post

This is exactly right. Despite being into fitness in the past, I spent the last 10 years eating rubbish and I enjoyed every moment of it, and still miss it now to an extent. I didn't even care about how I looked until the last year or two when I realised it was getting out of control.

My wife is not obese but she still eats plenty of crap, but gets away with it due to her age and activity. But she most likely doesn't understand why I'm eating the way I am or why I work out. I don't share my goals with friends or family because they wouldn't really understand.

Most people I know that eventually decide to "go on a diet" basically use the scale as a measure and I get the impression what they look like in the mirror doesn't even factor in to it.

But on the flip side of the coin, I'm constantly eating, or planning what I'm going to eat, and I work out in a gym which kind of resembles a prison. I can see why this wouldn't appeal to most people.

adigiro1 is just really nice. (+1000) adigiro1 is just really nice. (+1000) adigiro1 is just really nice. (+1000) adigiro1 is just really nice. (+1000) adigiro1 is just really nice. (+1000) adigiro1 is just really nice. (+1000) adigiro1 is just really nice. (+1000) adigiro1 is just really nice. (+1000) adigiro1 is just really nice. (+1000) adigiro1 is just really nice. (+1000) adigiro1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    You guys see "My 600 Lb Life"?

That show was embarrassing to watch, unbelievable someone got that fat. It's pathetic. Showering alone was enough of a task to warrant a nap. The lady couldn't even ride in the car for longer than a few hours without being in extreme pain.

But.... what they do go into, which is somewhat interesting, is the reasoning behind why they are fat. Obviously, we have our own ideas going in, like they are clearly eating WAY too much and not exercising! But they go into the mental aspect of why they eat so much. They both had a traumatic issue, and they turned to food to make them happy, and that then turned into a dependency when facing some sort of a challenge or issue.

Other people are fat because they eat whatever they feel like choking down and never exercise. Laziness is a big part of it and I feel like that has something to do with how the person was raised.
    *digi*
    NC Crew
    Always Hungry Crew
    Busch Light Crew
    Hard Part Crew

Told my boss today was a cheat day and he asked, "What's that?" You know he doesn't lift.

Originally Posted by adigiro1 View Post
    You guys see "My 600 Lb Life"?

That show was embarrassing to watch, unbelievable someone got that fat. It's pathetic. Showering alone was enough of a task to warrant a nap. The lady couldn't even ride in the car for longer than a few hours without being in extreme pain.

But.... what they do go into, which is somewhat interesting, is the reasoning behind why they are fat. Obviously, we have our own ideas going in, like they are clearly eating WAY too much and not exercising! But they go into the mental aspect of why they eat so much. They both had a traumatic issue, and they turned to food to make them happy, and that then turned into a dependency when facing some sort of a challenge or issue.

Other people are fat because they eat whatever they feel like choking down and never exercise. Laziness is a big part of it and I feel like that has something to do with how the person was raised.
    I have watched that show and there generally is an underlying issue, mostly something from their past, that leads them to the overeating and being overweight. The mind controls the body, for both good and bad. Tough to break it

I addressed it multiple times but you have already made up your mind and thus you are correct and know exactly what I meant. Pretty pathetic that you think you know me and what I was saying and what is in my heart. Internet tough guy who knows all. "back to my better than sad fatty conversation" pretty mature and shows me your true colors.
    I'm not acting tough, I've tried to lay out the "why" w/o any emotions at all. Again, sounds like projecting to me. I only read what you wrote and addressed that, nothing more. I also type how I'd speak to you in person so no act here. Hell, my first response to you I even said, "I'm sure you mean well", but you ignored that and continued to prove my point. What are my true colors? To point out your hypocrisy and the fact that you're too much of a pu55y to say that fat people should be ashamed and that you draw motivation from not being them, those poor clueless souls? LOL, they know they are obese and don't need you "saving" them. Like I said, until the underlying issue is solved on the how/why they use food as a crutch no amount of your "good intentions and well wishes" matter.

I'm glad you got to "enjoy yourself" and binge some while getting to judge those trying to do the same.
    ☻/
    / \ 

Cavalerium is not very well liked. (-100) Cavalerium is not very well liked. (-100) Cavalerium is not very well liked. (-100) Cavalerium is not very well liked. (-100) Cavalerium is not very well liked. (-100) Cavalerium is not very well liked. (-100) Cavalerium is not very well liked. (-100) Cavalerium is not very well liked. (-100) Cavalerium is not very well liked. (-100) Cavalerium is not very well liked. (-100) Cavalerium is not very well liked. (-100)
    Yes, worth it

LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LWW has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Guys,

It starts with training and having "training" becoming one's life, then people "want" to eat healthier, it is much more doomed to failure the other way around. Being active in training alone will start to improve one's situation, they won't want a pastry after a good training, if they lounge around as their training then they will.

Originally Posted by LWW View Post
    Guys,

It starts with training and having "training" becoming one's life, then people "want" to eat healthier, it is much more doomed to failure the other way around. Being active in training alone will start to improve one's situation, they won't want a pastry after a good training, if they lounge around as their training then they will.
    Yes, one of the reasons it took me so long to get back into lifting is because I didn't really want to eat "all of the special food." I now follow iifym so it is a little better but I still find myself having to plan an awful lot to hit fat and protein minimums. When I started exercising again I said I would just eat normally, but after a couple of weeks I was back on the bodybuilding foods, because like you say, you don't hit the gym hard and then go back and eat a ready meal with 4 grams of protein and a pastry for desert.

Guys,

I agree this does happen. I've also see people start training and feel like they "earned" their donuts and end up eating more than they normally would have to "support the gains"
    ☻/
    / \ 

Registered User JeremyM07201978's Avatar
    JeremyM07201978 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JeremyM07201978 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JeremyM07201978 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JeremyM07201978 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JeremyM07201978 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JeremyM07201978 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JeremyM07201978 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JeremyM07201978 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JeremyM07201978 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JeremyM07201978 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JeremyM07201978 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Guys,

I don't disagree that it can or maybe should start that way...but for me, I started with nutrition and realized to achieve my goals, I really needed training. Bottom line, neither training nor nutrition alone will likely get a person all the way to their goals or optimal health. It takes both.

To OP, everyone makes judgements or categorizes people, places, things, etc...it is human nature. Our minds work this way. It is however, a different thing entirely to voice or state these things. In a polarizing issue like obesity, you will inevitably have feedback that the discussion is judgmental, biased, etc. If you welcome the debate, making those statements will yield results you are after, but if you want agreement, don't expect it.

I agree this does happen. I've also see people start training and feel like they "earned" their donuts and end up eating more than they normally would have to "support the gains"
    I know this type being around strongmen/powerlifters.

I personally feel from a health standpoint (and it also depends on one's genetics/family history) that chicken is no better than hamburgers. The bb world likes chicken for the "look" BB dieting. I personally am disgusted by chicken and can only eat it every once in a while, so I eat more burgers.

The first time I ever trained strongman was at a PRO level strongman house, the greatest squatter in the history of powerlifting showed up with his girlfriend (who was a competitive bodybuilder also), they showed with a box of crispy cremes which I didn't touch and McDonalds breakfast (I still puked during that workout) and then after the workout they ate more doughnuts. I ate burgers. The girl is still very fit, but the man now has a very fat looking belly.

I've seen skinny in shape guys who have a bad diet have heart problems, when talking and asking them questions they do have family histories of heart problems.