lazylarry99 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

doing all pro while alternating with bouldering/climbing?

So I've just started all pro recently for about 1 week (newbie) but am running into a few issues because I also like to rock climb/boulder (2 days of the week). So I'm not sure the best way to balance these. All pro is easier now but imagine it won't be going forwards. I rock climb for maybe 1-2 hrs but take solid breaks like 2-3 min between climbs especially later on. Obviously while rock climbing I'm using muscle but it's not like I was gaining much mass (doing it for maybe 2 years,about a V4-5 level boulderer).

Is a 24 hour break enough between a lifting workout and climbing or do I need to give myself more of a break to allow for muscle growth? If so, what's the best way to incorporate bouldering into my workout schedule? I'm mainly looking for muscle mass growth here.

On a side note, how to accurately calculate calories from such activities? I've just generically been using 300 cals given that's the median of ranges listed online.

Thanks

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by lazylarry99 View Post
    So I've just started all pro recently for about 1 week (newbie) but am running into a few issues because I also like to rock climb/boulder (2 days of the week). So I'm not sure the best way to balance these. All pro is easier now but imagine it won't be going forwards. I rock climb for maybe 1-2 hrs but take solid breaks like 2-3 min between climbs especially later on. Obviously while rock climbing I'm using muscle but it's not like I was gaining much mass (doing it for maybe 2 years,about a V4-5 level boulderer).

Is a 24 hour break enough between a lifting workout and climbing or do I need to give myself more of a break to allow for muscle growth? If so, what's the best way to incorporate bouldering into my workout schedule? I'm mainly looking for muscle mass growth here.

On a side note, how to accurately calculate calories from such activities? I've just generically been using 300 cals given that's the median of ranges listed online.

Thanks
    I got really into climbing last year, but have laid off recently. I agree - it poses a challenge with your lifting routine - climbing requires a lot of strength and muscle, so it can potentially directly interfere with recovery from lifting (or affecting performance when lifting).

For better or worse (probably worse) I often would sub my pull day (back/bi) with my climbing session as I found climbing was 90% pulling (and legs of course) whereas my chest/triceps weren't activated much.

Either that or have your climbing day isolated with day off before/after to minimize the lifting impact.

CueFitSeattle is not very well liked. (-100) CueFitSeattle is not very well liked. (-100) CueFitSeattle is not very well liked. (-100) CueFitSeattle is not very well liked. (-100) CueFitSeattle is not very well liked. (-100) CueFitSeattle is not very well liked. (-100) CueFitSeattle is not very well liked. (-100) CueFitSeattle is not very well liked. (-100) CueFitSeattle is not very well liked. (-100) CueFitSeattle is not very well liked. (-100) CueFitSeattle is not very well liked. (-100)
    It’s worth a google search (since I can’t post links at the point). There have been some very good arguments made for why lifting and climbing can be of mutual benefit. As a fan of many climbers, a good portion of them do have some form of lifting as a part of their training regimen.
    Don't advertise here

health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Tree climber here. Working in tree service climbing trees with gear and a chainsaw, moving logs and brush. Sometimes walking as much as 18 miles on the job site alone.

I lifted 6 days a week and then went to work. It can be done.

You’re probably gonna be sore at times, but your body will adapt.

Training first thing in the morning while your fresh may be a good idea. That’s what I did.

Granted what I did was work and what you’re doing is sport, but climbing is still climbing whether it’s rock or a tree.

I was sore at times but overall didn’t have any issues doing that 4-5 days a week and lifting 6 days a week.
    - Your mindset influences your outcome. It's time to take out phrases like "I can't" or "I don't have time" and replace them with phrases like "I will make the time" and "I will keep working at it until I find a way that works." Success starts with the right mindset and believing in yourself and your dreams.