smolperson is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Am I Ego Lifting?

I feel like an absolute doofus asking this but am I?

I hit my rep goal for dead lifts last week so naturally I upped the weight some to 300lb this week, which is a little more then I’d usually up it but I was feeling good today and I think that was a previous PR of mine. I hit 3 reps for the first two sets, as was my goal, but on the second Rep of the third set I dropped the weight bc my grip gave out about 5 inches from the ground on the way back down. Loud ass banging. Then I dropped 10 pounds off and did one more clean Rep just to satisfy myself. I don’t think there was anyone in this particular room at the time though. And I wouldn’t have done it any different if there was.
    Also pretty(I think?) sure I’ve got good form bc my back tends to let me know with PAIN if I don’t. Thanks genetics.
    I go to the gym bc I enjoy pushing myself and usually don’t give a half a shiet about what other people think but i also don’t want to be THAT guy and disturb others. 19 btw
    Long ass paragraph, sorry. I have a tendency to over write.
    Thanks
    Last edited by smolperson; 05-14-2019 at 08:22 PM.

Registered User Fiction2Fitness's Avatar
    Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Nah sounds fine. Unless they haven't been in the gym much, that happens. I've dropped just 65 lbs from an overhead squat so made more loud than most of my deadlifts but wasn't going to risk injury. Long as you aren't the guy trying to be loud trying to get people to watch, probably don't need to worry about being viewed as ego lifting.

Unless you are lifting with no worry of form and just pulling trying to get heavy numbers cause you think you're too buff to do less... That might be ego based.
    Gym Max: 229/126/305
    Meet Max: 1st Meet 198/115/248
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281
    Goals: 235/135/315

Just Strong Ambassador
    http://juststrong.com/discount/ambwil10

Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by smolperson View Post
    I feel like an absolute doofus asking this but am I?

I hit my rep goal for dead lifts last week so naturally I upped the weight some to 300lb this week, which is a little more then I’d usually up it but I was feeling good today and I think that was a previous PR of mine. I hit 3 reps for the first two sets, as was my goal, but on the second Rep of the third set I dropped the weight bc my grip gave out about 5 inches from the ground on the way back down. Loud ass banging. Then I dropped 10 pounds off and did one more clean Rep just to satisfy myself. I don’t think there was anyone in this particular room at the time though. And I wouldn’t have done it any different if there was.
    Also pretty(I think?) sure I’ve got good form bc my back tends to let me know with PAIN if I don’t. Thanks genetics.
    I go to the gym bc I enjoy pushing myself and usually don’t give a half a shiet about what other people think but i also don’t want to be THAT guy and disturb others. 19 btw
    Long ass paragraph, sorry. I have a tendency to over write.
    Thanks
    well 300 is nothing to have an ego but a darn good start. have you started training hook grip yet? it will allow you to hoist more weight without losing your grip

thatmanspence is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thatmanspence is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thatmanspence is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thatmanspence is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thatmanspence is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thatmanspence is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thatmanspence is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thatmanspence is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thatmanspence is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thatmanspence is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thatmanspence is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Nah, just because you're forearms gave out first does not mean you are ego lifting especially if your form is good
    stupid in the streets daddy in the sheets

Originally Posted by Nubygaines View Post
    well 300 is nothing to have an ego but a darn good start. have you started training hook grip yet? it will allow you to hoist more weight without losing your grip
    Whoa now I feel extra doofus bc this is the first I’ve seen of this hook grip. Gonna have to look into it and try it. Is there any reason not to use it? Like for example take away from forearm gains from deadlift bc those gains are particularly on my list.

Thanks for the replies btw guys. Maybe I’m just being really self conscious and insecure but I had to check to be sure. I’ve seen bad cases of ego lifting and I don’t want to become that lol

TaaDow187 is just really nice. (+1000) TaaDow187 is just really nice. (+1000) TaaDow187 is just really nice. (+1000) TaaDow187 is just really nice. (+1000) TaaDow187 is just really nice. (+1000) TaaDow187 is just really nice. (+1000) TaaDow187 is just really nice. (+1000) TaaDow187 is just really nice. (+1000) TaaDow187 is just really nice. (+1000) TaaDow187 is just really nice. (+1000) TaaDow187 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by smolperson View Post
    Whoa now I feel extra doofus bc this is the first I’ve seen of this hook grip. Gonna have to look into it and try it. Is there any reason not to use it? Like for example take away from forearm gains from deadlift bc those gains are particularly on my list.
    Hook grip takes some getting used to and it can hurt. I tried it and it was not a pleasant feeling. I may need to get straps instead.

sitsonCHROME will become famous soon enough. (+50) sitsonCHROME will become famous soon enough. (+50) sitsonCHROME will become famous soon enough. (+50) sitsonCHROME will become famous soon enough. (+50) sitsonCHROME will become famous soon enough. (+50) sitsonCHROME will become famous soon enough. (+50) sitsonCHROME will become famous soon enough. (+50) sitsonCHROME will become famous soon enough. (+50) sitsonCHROME will become famous soon enough. (+50) sitsonCHROME will become famous soon enough. (+50) sitsonCHROME will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You defiantly need hook grip.

Also remember that the gym is a gym and not a library. Its okay to look alive and make some noise.
    "If I fail, and I pray to god that I don't, it will not be because I did not try"

Registered User Sugarmuscles123's Avatar
    Sugarmuscles123 is just really nice. (+1000) Sugarmuscles123 is just really nice. (+1000) Sugarmuscles123 is just really nice. (+1000) Sugarmuscles123 is just really nice. (+1000) Sugarmuscles123 is just really nice. (+1000) Sugarmuscles123 is just really nice. (+1000) Sugarmuscles123 is just really nice. (+1000) Sugarmuscles123 is just really nice. (+1000) Sugarmuscles123 is just really nice. (+1000) Sugarmuscles123 is just really nice. (+1000) Sugarmuscles123 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Sounds to me like you were just hungry for a bigger number. Wasn’t ego lifting. Was excitement. You are good OP
    26 years old
    S b d
    675 for a triple wrapped squat
    685 deadlift
    535 paused bench
    Power lifter Transitioning into bodybuilding
    Pain Is Temporary. Quitting is permanent.