Seanbroadie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Seanbroadie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Seanbroadie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Balancing programs with other activities

Does anyone have any advice or guidance on balancing workout programs with other physical activities? I'm currently following viking's barebones, and after reading the whole thread (and stuff from other places) it seems clear that i should be following the program and not adding in anything else. But i do other stuff.

To give an example: Today was my pull day, and then i went to acro class and did a lot of stuff that seemed to hammer all of the muscles i worked out earlier in the day. Tomorrow I'm going climbing which will too. Will doing this stuff be detrimental? Will it hinder my muscle recovery or anything? If so what can i do to make the best out of the situation?

n0tsw0le will become famous soon enough. (+50) n0tsw0le will become famous soon enough. (+50) n0tsw0le will become famous soon enough. (+50) n0tsw0le will become famous soon enough. (+50) n0tsw0le will become famous soon enough. (+50) n0tsw0le will become famous soon enough. (+50) n0tsw0le will become famous soon enough. (+50) n0tsw0le will become famous soon enough. (+50) n0tsw0le will become famous soon enough. (+50) n0tsw0le will become famous soon enough. (+50) n0tsw0le will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It’s common for program creators to recommend not doing other activities, but sometimes just making sure to consume a surplus of calories and get enough sleep to properly recover. If you can’t do that then you probably should consider switching programs.
    The problem isn't your diet or your workout. It's your patience.

Seanbroadie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Seanbroadie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Seanbroadie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by n0tsw0le View Post
    It’s common for program creators to recommend not doing other activities, but sometimes just making sure to consume a surplus of calories and get enough sleep to properly recover. If you can’t do that then you probably should consider switching programs.
    Thanks for the advice. I've been following the program for about a month now, I've eaten more and put on about 0.5kg. I feel fine, though I have been taking more naps.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    There is a concept of MRV (maximum recoverable volume) - and all physical activity contributes to this. However, most novices should be able to make progress while staying well away from this so there is room for other activities.

That's as much as I can say, only you can ascertain if you are recovering and progressing based on results and performance when training. Just don't do jump to conclusions based on one or two bad workouts.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    There is a concept of MRV (maximum recoverable volume) - and all physical activity contributes to this. However, most novices should be able to make progress while staying well away from this so there is room for other activities.

That's as much as I can say, only you can ascertain if you are recovering and progressing based on results and performance when training. Just don't do jump to conclusions based on one or two bad workouts.
    Yeah you're right. I'm making progress so i'll just keep going. I guess I didn't need to worry!

health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Do the best you can, but you still gotta live and enjoy life. You don’t want to avoid doing things just because you’re trying to build muscle. That would be foolish.
    - Your mindset influences your outcome. It's time to take out phrases like "I can't" or "I don't have time" and replace them with phrases like "I will make the time" and "I will keep working at it until I find a way that works." Success starts with the right mindset and believing in yourself and your dreams.

sooby has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sooby has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sooby has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sooby has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sooby has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sooby has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sooby has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sooby has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sooby has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sooby has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sooby has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    This is something you are going to have to balance and find out for yourself

nobody can tell you not to do other activities, there are people that balance it with doing martial arts 2-3x a week

obviously at that point it may interfere but you are going to have to make minor tweaks and adjustments to fit your lifestyle.

if I do something the day before that is strenuous, I either just knuckle up and do the workout anyway or move it to a different day, no biggie.