Falcorn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falcorn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falcorn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falcorn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falcorn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falcorn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falcorn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falcorn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falcorn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falcorn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falcorn is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How often do you switch up routines?

I am currently working out 6 times a week with Sunday off usually but last week I only went 4 days I'm not sure if I am getting bored of the routine or just tired. I do cardio for 30 minutes 5 times a week and walk an hour at least in the evening. I am getting stronger every week while losing 30 pounds since I started this routine you guys think I should switch it up even or keep pushing till I don't see progress in the weights?
    Last edited by Falcorn; 05-06-2019 at 08:49 AM. Reason: 24 btw how do you switch your age?

Editor at Jock & Jackal JockandJackal's Avatar
    JockandJackal is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You could try switching up your accessory exercises (bicep curls, tricep extensions, DB raises, DB flyes, etc.) while still doing your core/compound lifts (bench, squats, deadlifts, shoulder press) weekly. That way you get a little variety while still training your major muscle groups consistently. Maybe try circuits/super sets to add variety. If you feel like you're getting tired and just don't have the mojo in the gym then I personally wouldn't have a problem throwing in another rest day every week.
    www.jockandjackal.com

MikeWrightMPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeWrightMPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeWrightMPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeWrightMPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeWrightMPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeWrightMPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeWrightMPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeWrightMPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeWrightMPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeWrightMPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeWrightMPS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Falcorn View Post
    I am currently working out 6 times a week with Sunday off usually but last week I only went 4 days I'm not sure if I am getting bored of the routine or just tired. I do cardio for 30 minutes 5 times a week and walk an hour at least in the evening. I am getting stronger every week while losing 30 pounds since I started this routine you guys think I should switch it up even or keep pushing till I don't see progress in the weights?

Personally, I start Tweaking the routine if I start getting bored but you need to understand is you getting bored or procrastinating, thats the different, normally I give myself 2days in a week what I called relax days so is these days I do things however I prefer it, sometimes it makes it harder to reach and complete things but it is also the booster for the other days see what happen when you go out of schedule, really help to build up the schedule!

Falcorn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falcorn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falcorn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falcorn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falcorn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falcorn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falcorn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falcorn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falcorn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falcorn is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falcorn is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yeah thank you I'll try and switch up minor lifts and if that doesn't work I'll take another rest day

I'm pretty sure it's boredom from knowing myself I tend to stop when I feel it is not challenging

Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Falcorn View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's boredom from knowing myself I tend to stop when I feel it is not challenging
    Lift heavier weights then. Ideally you shouldn't change your program until you can no longer progress on it, have taken a few deloads and still can't bust a plateau. If you're bored from not being challenged then you probably haven't been following a very good progression protocol.
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 495
    Deadlift: 535

Refrigerator Lover

sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Typically I switch workout routines completely if I've maximized the gains I've gotten on it or feel like it's time to switch emphasis and goals (i.e working more within the 1-5 rep range rather than 6-12).

I have switched when I've gotten bored before, not a big deal. I tend to give programs at least a few cycles of a runthrough before switching it completely. Which is maybe around 4-6 months. However I am usually switching accessory lifts like dumbbell and cable work every 2 months or so, so even if I am running the same program I'm not really bored of it because I'm doing different accessory lifts.

No help for this one.... Squid24's Avatar
    Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Are you doing an Upper/Lower or PPL/U/L or a PPL or a Bro-split program?

Not sure how everyone can give advice to your program without knowing your program...lmao

To answer your main question, I switch up either when I am bored or 6mos...I can say, I am bored by 6 mos...lol
    My Log - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170367151&page=50

"Muff divers local #69.....no muff too tough....we dive at five"

Fierce 5 Programs ->https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1266579671#post1266579671

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I ran a novice program for 6 months until I couldn't keep up with the progression. Moved to an intermediate upper/lower and have been on that for 3+ years. A PPL might be more ideal for me at this point but I don't have the time for 6 days.

CueFitSeattle is not very well liked. (-100) CueFitSeattle is not very well liked. (-100) CueFitSeattle is not very well liked. (-100) CueFitSeattle is not very well liked. (-100) CueFitSeattle is not very well liked. (-100) CueFitSeattle is not very well liked. (-100) CueFitSeattle is not very well liked. (-100) CueFitSeattle is not very well liked. (-100) CueFitSeattle is not very well liked. (-100) CueFitSeattle is not very well liked. (-100) CueFitSeattle is not very well liked. (-100)
    It may seem like a simple answer, but without fully knowing your program, if you’re getting bored with how things are, switching up your routine is definitely worth a try to keep things fresh. Just so long as it helps with your long term goals.
    Don't advertise here

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    If you are doing a routine written by someone else and want another - pick on with slightly more total volume

If you are running your own routine, you don't need to change it radically, just switch out lifts that are stagnating - choose a similar but slightly different variant. Then adapt the amount of volume you do over time. That's all that's required for hypertrophy. Strength is a little different and you'll need a way of modulating the load used (depending on what specifically your strength goal is).

If you can't add volume without overreaching then take a deload or time off for 1-2 weeks. Then come back with less volume than before and ramp back up.