Gingermahn is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How to train your shoulders when you have impingement?

I currently suffer from shoulder impingement, I can't do any overhead exercises like military presses.
    I don't want my shoulders to lag behind everything else, so is there any exercises I can safely do for my shoulders?

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Assuming your doctor and/or physical therapist has cleared you for activity you can do pain free, you can do various raises (front, lateral, bent over) with your shoulder in external rotation; this should work for you. If at a certain point you start feeling pain stop the range of motion there.

NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I would be seeking advice from a physiotherapist, not a forum of unqualified people.

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^^
    ------------- No Vax Crew ----------------

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes advise from a physical therapist or even chiropractor should be your first opinions.
    When someone here recommends something and is not a medical professional and also can't see you personally it's just speculation on what to do.
    You could even do more harm than good.

Glasgow1985 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Get yourself assessed by a qualified practitioner first. I suffered from impingement and couldn't do any overhead exercises. I simply had to strengthen my rotator cuff and adopt certain postural modifications which has worked well for me so far. I can now bench and OHP without pain. Bottomline is, get assessed, follow a proper rotator cuff strengthening routine and above all, be patient. You will get better after a few weeks.

Registered User ProgrammerHunch's Avatar
    ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I really f'ed up my shoulder doing OHP. I don't know if it's because OHP is a bad exercise, or I just had bad form. But from a guy with a labral tear and had really bad impingement for a while, you might be able to get away with lateral raises using a band for your medial delts. Build up your rear delts also using a band, or face pulls on pulley. These are the only ways I can safely work these muscles. I also seem to be doing OK with Bent over Rows.

Registered User ProgrammerHunch's Avatar
    ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProgrammerHunch will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Glasgow1985 View Post
    Get yourself assessed by a qualified practitioner first. I suffered from impingement and couldn't do any overhead exercises. I simply had to strengthen my rotator cuff and adopt certain postural modifications which has worked well for me so far. I can now bench and OHP without pain. Bottomline is, get assessed, follow a proper rotator cuff strengthening routine and above all, be patient. You will get better after a few weeks.
    Definitely rotator cuff work. I went from severe impingement, horrific shoulder pain to just a minor ache for about 12 hours after I bench press (impingement is gone, but still gotta deal with torn labrum). Still can't eliminate the pain but it's a must for any kind of shoulder recovery.