sam12344 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Getting fatter but not stronger during bulk

I started bulking around January and am currently eating 2200 calories. I am 18 years old and started the year around 130 pounds and am currently around 138 pounds. I started seeing increases in muscle and strength so I thought I was on the right track but for the past month and a half, my progress in the gym started to stall and I noticed that I have been putting on some belly fat. I finding it difficult to increase weight on my lifts and am stuck on the same reps and weight for a lot of my lifts. Throughout this I still have been eating at 2200 calories and all that seems to be increasing is my belly fat.

I go to the gym 4 days a week and incorporate strength and hypertrophy training, and I play basketball about 2-3 times a week as my cardio. So why is it that I can't make any strength progress and am gaining belly fat? I have been tracking my food intake on my fitness pal and I have been stuck around 138 pounds for about 2 and a half weeks. Normally it would seem like I should increase my calories once my weight stalls but I'm hesitant to do that especially with the fat gain I have been seeing. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    what workout program are you following? Have you recently been eating different foods that might have caused you to retain some water and make you appear fatter?
    “Other gyms use machines… CrossFit builds them”

sam12344 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Vandeman17 View Post
    what workout program are you following? Have you recently been eating different foods that might have caused you to retain some water and make you appear fatter?
    I haven't eaten anything that too high in sodium recently. I have been hitting 2200 calories for the past month and half for sure. And I follow a push pull legs split with an added on arm day.

NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If strength is your priority, Push Push Legs split is not ideal as a beginner.

I would say it is most likely a case of inadequate programming, and possibly a technique breakdown, followed by poor recovery, and possibly lack of nutrition. There are many factors to consider.

Whilst gaining weight, it is a fine art to truly minimise fat gain to the least amount of possible. Without you, yourself, knowing your body and what you respond to this is probably not achievable just yet.

Remember bodybuilding is a journey of the self.

Byronrutt will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byronrutt will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byronrutt will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byronrutt will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byronrutt will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byronrutt will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byronrutt will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byronrutt will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byronrutt will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byronrutt will become famous soon enough. (+50) Byronrutt will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Drop your reps and focus on putting weight on the bar.

Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Ensure you are eating a min of 0.7g protein/lb and 0.4g fat/lb, get on Fierce 5 routine and problem should be solved.