Thread: Sports Journal

not entirely useless PartlyGreat's Avatar
    PartlyGreat is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Sports Journal

Current Goal:
    First Boxing Fight, 25 May 2019 (69kg, 167cm)

Mindset:
    You don't need to be the best, but you have to be the best version of yourself.
    “We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.” - Jim Rohn
    I have many hobbies and interests - but now, while I am young, and my body is able; I must focus on sports.

Starting Place (written on 27 April 2019):
    Training 5 days a week minimum for as long as I can remember.
    Food is by far the most difficult factor for me in preparation to fight - living at home with parents and siblings means I'm always surrounded by an abundance of unhealthy food.
    Sleep is good; not having tired days.
    Soccer - Playing since 2012, trained seriously for about 6 months in 2016 (constant injuries from this sport).
    Muay Thai - Training seriously since begining of 2017
    Boxing - Training seriously since October 2018

Achievements Logged:
    None yet
    I'd rather be partly great than completely useless.

As a competitive person it is difficult to admit you are not the best at something. However, even if you can't be - nothing should stop you from being the best you that you can be.

In This Thread I will log daily about my training, food, condition and anything else necessary. Each post will be structured like so:

Date:
    Day of the week
    DD/MM/YYYY

Overview:
    One sentence describing the day.

Training Log:
    This will provide specific details about workouts done alone and how hard I find them.
    This will provide a category (fitness, technique, sparring, etc) and intensity (easy, medium, hard) about workouts done at the gym or hosted by someone else.
    This will provide my thoughts regarding things done right, and things to be looked at in all training sessions.

Food Log:
    This will provide ratings (perfect, good, bad, skipped) about how closely I followed each meal of the day if following a meal plan.
    This will provide ratings (good, bad) about quality of food eaten and (large, medium, small) about the quantity eaten when not following a meal plan.

Summary:
    This will be a brief summary of how I felt on the day; both physically and mentally. (will include weight when training for a fight)

Rating Information:
    When rating workouts hosted by someone else (whether it be crossfit, or with a group at the boxing gym); easy, medium, and hard will refer to my own personal intensity in combination with the workout routine. i.e. some routines are too easy to really force me to dig deep and train hard, otherwise every session would be hard!
    When rating how closely I followed meals of the day from the meal plan:
    perfect = exactly like how in the meal plan.
    good = exactly like how in the meal plan but without measuring food amounts.
    bad = didn't follow the meal plan.
    skipped = skipped this meal.
    When rating meals when not on a meal plan:
    good = no packaged foods.
    bad = not good.
    large = I ate too much.
    medium = I ate well, and didn't over do it.
    small = I restrained myself and only ate very little.

As a competitive person it is difficult to admit you are not the best at something. However, even if you can't be - nothing should stop you from being the best you that you can be.

I will add to this list as I make posts with acronyms people may not know.

My Acronym List:
    BMTs (burpees, mountin climbers, tuck jumps)

Date:
    Sunday
    28/04/2019

Overview:
    Greek Easter today, meaning from 1pm til night I'll be at two seperate events; one with BBQ, one at a restaurant.

Training Log:
    Home Workout - 1100
    - 5 minutes skipping (easy)
    - 15 minutes bagwork (easy)
    - 25/10/25 BMTs (hard - took me 7 and a half minutes to complete)
    - wrist rehab stretches (easy)

Food Log: - bad
    - large

Summary:
    I did train; a little bit. I didn't eat anything at home. Party gathering one (1330) - I ate a lot; salads and meat. Party gathering two (1830) - I ate some salad, and then chocolate (only a little. but still important) -_-
    You always want to start logs like this on a good note - but, this was the day I had.
    Last edited by PartlyGreat; 04-28-2019 at 08:58 AM.

From Day 2 onwards, I'll be following the meal plan attached until fight day (25 May).
    Attached Images

Date:
    Monday
    29/04/2019

Overview:
    Planned for 1 hour crossfit at 0930, stretches during the day, and 1 hour boxing at 1930.

Training Log:
    DBPT - 0930
    - Circuit 1 (3 sets):
    - 5 Barbell Deadlifts (40kg)
    - 15 kettle bell swings (15kg)
    - Circuit 2 (3 sets)
    - 10 Inverted Rows
    - 10 Dumbbell Deadlift (2x 15kg)
    - 15 Knee Tuck Sit-Ups
    - 200m Sprint
    Stretches - Hamstring Stretching (doesn't let me upload routine link due to less than 50 total posts)
    - Lower Back Pain Stretching (doesn't let me upload routine link due to less than 50 total posts)
    - Wrist Stretching 1 (doesn't let me upload routine link due to less than 50 total posts)
    - Wrist Stretching 2 (doesn't let me upload routine link due to less than 50 total posts)
    Boxing - 1930
    - 15 minutes skipping
    - padwork (variations of combos below):
    combo 1 - jab cross slip slip hook cross
    combo 2 - jab cross slip slip pivot jab cross OR jab cross slip slip pivot rip up hook cross
    combo 3 - slip hook cross OR slip jab cross
    pushups, situps, squats, pullups throughout

Food Log:
    Breakfast - good
    Snack - bad (3 heritage protein nut bars as opposed to handful of mixed nuts)
    Lunch - bad (3 weetbix with honey, banana and low fat milk)
    Snack - good
    Dinner - good

Summary:
    Weight - 73.2kg on wake up.
    Striving for sub 69kg on 11 May.

It has come to my attention that I can only edit the most recent reply I've made in this thread - making the first 3 posts uneditable which is annoying. Nonetheless, I'll continue using this thread up until the fight and make another, better one when my goal changes.

Tuesday
    30/04/2019

Overview:
    Ended up being a rest day. Over the weekend that passed, I changed some critical elements of my boxing training and it had a bigger impact on my body than expected. Work at 1600-2000.

Training Log:
    Stretches
    - Hamstring Stretching (doesn't let me upload routine link due to less than 50 total posts)
    - Lower Back Pain Stretching (doesn't let me upload routine link due to less than 50 total posts)
    - Full Body Stretching 1 (doesn't let me upload routine link due to less than 50 total posts)
    - Full Body Stretching 2 (doesn't let me upload routine link due to less than 50 total posts)

Food Log:
    Ate healthy, but kind of ate whatever (carbs).

Summary:
    Weight - 73.7kg on wake up.
    Hamstrings (back of thighs) very tight, and lower back aching. (Due to a change in my boxing training decided upon over the weekend).
    The change in my boxing training: As a short guy, I'm an inside/close range fighter and I needed to make a change in regards to my approach on getting on the inside - I need a more aggressive approach. There's none better than constant trunk movement with much body rotating; really emphasising these movements in training has made boxing training doubly as exhausting as before, but I can feel a difference in the power of my shots and feel more dangerous on pads. On Thursday we'llbe sparring, and I'll be able to test these new movements in action.

Wednesday
    01/05/2019

Overview:
    Still sore. Planned for sprints, some boxing at home, and then boxing at the gym. Did all, except did stretches instead of sprints.

Training Log:
    Stretches (2 hours)
    - Hamstring Stretching (doesn't let me upload routine link due to less than 50 total posts)
    - Back Stretching (doesn't let me upload routine link due to less than 50 total posts)
    - Full Body Stretching 1 (doesn't let me upload routine link due to less than 50 total posts)
    - Lower Body Stretching (doesn't let me upload routine link due to less than 50 total posts)
    Shadowsparring/Bagwork at home (30 minutes)
    Boxing at Gym (1 hour)
    - Padwork
    - Pushups, Situps, Squats, Pullups throughout.

Food Log:
    Breakfast - skipped
    Snack - skipped
    Lunch - skipped
    Snack - bad (sunflower seeds, hot fried sweet potato chips, protein shake)
    Dinner - bad (protein shake)

Summary:
    Weight - 73.7kg on wake up.
    Hamstrings and lower back still sore.
    Hate myself for food. Training was decent though.

Thursday
    02/05/2019

Overview:
    Uni all day - planned for 1 hour boxing session before going home.

Training Log:
    Muay Thai at Gym(45 minutes)
    - Padwork & Partnerwork

Boxing at Gym (1 hour)
    - step ups and punching on tire (3 rounds)
    - sparring (8-12 rounds, 3 minutes each)
    - Pushups, Situps, Squats, Pullups throughout.

Food Log:
    Breakfast - skipped
    Snack - skipped
    Lunch - good
    Snack - skipped
    Dinner - good (but definitely more than meal plan)

Summary:
    Weight - didn't weigh.
    Hamstrings and lower back still sore.
    Left thumb feels bruised after sparring.
    Sparring was good, and in previous weeks/months I've been known to be one of the fittest in my gym and able to last the longest. However, with this new approach to trunk movement I've been getting tired a lot quicker and felt that today too. Need to work on fitness + combos as opposed to single hits with this new movement.